View Full Version : Strange IP

prismejon
09-26-2003, 01:52 PM
I have a Toshiba e755 with PocketPC 2002 and WiFi. The problem is that it sometimes gets a "strange" IP address asigned when I try to connect to my AP. It's on the form 169.254.200.*** while my AP gives IPs on the form 129.***.***.* (this happens even if I try to renew it several times).

If I leave the unit on for some time (many minutes) it finally sets the correct IP address. It's really frustrating to have to wait up to 15 min. before I can take the PocketPC to the loo :wink:

Is the first address I mentioned some kind of local referance? Loop-back or something?

I really need some help here!
Thanks!

Btw I haven't installed the WM2003 upgrade yet because I need movianVPN to use the APs at school. And there aren't any 2003 compatible VPN clients that support Cisco concentrators (I haven't found any).

Steven Cedrone
09-26-2003, 02:13 PM
It sounds as if a neighbor has a WAP with DHCP enabled and your device is getting an address from that WAP instead of your own...

You could just assign a static IP address to your Device and disable DHCP on your WAP...

Steve

prismejon
09-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Hi Steve

I don't think that's the problem, because I get the same strange IP when I'm at school - instead of a IP I actually can use...

How can I assign a static IP in PocketPC 2002 btw? I would be a little unpractical at school though..

GetAFix
09-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Hi!

I may be wrong, but I think, that you get this IP address because your
device is set to DHCP and when it connects or tries to connect to the
network, it cannot find a DHCP server and after timing out, it gives you
the address in this range. So, to work around this problem, try a static
address in the range that you usually get ( make sure that it's not already
assigned) and see if it works.

You'll get the same IP addresses on wired networks if the PC is set to
DHCP and no DHCP server is available.

-Getafix

Mike Temporale
09-26-2003, 03:02 PM
GetAFix is right, the 169.254.x.x range is used when a the DHCP server can not be found. Consider it a default value. This gets assigned when the DHCP server has no more free IP's to assign, or when a DHCP server can not be found to assign one.

Steven Cedrone
09-26-2003, 03:54 PM
GetAFix is right, the 169.254.x.x range is used when a the DHCP server can not be found. Consider it a default value. This gets assigned when the DHCP server has no more free IP's to assign, or when a DHCP server can not be found to assign one.

DOH!!!

I blew right past the address when I read that post!!!

The 169 address is an address that your device assigns when it cannot successfully get an address from the DHCP server...

Sorry for the confusion...

Steve