View Full Version : Mass Convert LIT to MobiPocket PRC

seidler
09-26-2003, 01:37 PM
Hi,

I was evaluating Mobipocket, and I found it difficult to quickly convert my MS Reader .LIT files to the Mobipocket .PRC format. Now, here's the way:

get ConvertLIT (:google:)
extract to c:\clit14 e.g.
open a Command Line window (Start->Run->"cmd" on NT/2000/XP or "command" on 95/98/ME)
Type:cd <your .lit files directory> [ENTER]
for %i in (*.lit) do c:\clit14\clit.exe %i %i.mp\ [ENTER]

After some wild screen output, all the .lit files have been exploded into seperate directories.
get and install Mobipocket Publisher from http://www.mobipocket.com/en/DownloadSoft/ProductDetailsPublisher.asp
(actually, you don't really need to do this. all you need is the PublishComponents.dll, and then click start->run->"%windir%\system32\regsvr32 <path to dll>\PublishComponents.dll". I don't want to provide the DLL file though, because I don't know about copyright things with it :?
get this small VB program http://www.computer-champ.de/CreatePRC.exe
run the program, open a windows explorer, drag&drop the directory with the .lit files (and the newly created directories in it) into the list box (the empty white space). The name of the directory should appear there
click "Start"
WAIT! :mrgreen:
After some minutes (hours?) the program will give a message (all eBooks have been built succesfully, which may not be entirely true ;) ) and you will see a list with .PRC files, and maybe entries with "ERROR: ...opf".
The files with error, well they can't be converted, don't know why. Not even in Mobipocket Publisher it works.
then go to the file explorer again, right-click on the directory you just dragged and dropped into my program, choose "Search" and enter "*.prc"
I suggest you cut these files and paste them into a directory that seems convenient to you

That's it
report problems with my program to me, it's still a 5-minutes-hack ...

Stefan

JTWise
09-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Nice instructions and VB program. I was finding the Publisher a bit of a hassle as well. Just tried this out and it is much easier. Now I can convert all of the my old DRM protected .lit files to a nonprotected format. :devilboy: I also get to use ubook for all my reading. Thanks again. :werenotworthy:

Steven Cedrone
09-26-2003, 10:12 PM
Thread locked...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator