View Full Version : Recomendations for Database software

GreenBoy2
09-26-2003, 12:59 PM
Hi

Im looking for a Access Database compatible peice of software to use on my H2210 running PPC 2003

I want to be able to use forms - either developed on the desktop or on the PDA.

Im not great at pogramming so I want it to be simple, but fully functional and can handle queries - and sub form?

If any one can suggest something that wont break he bank I would be very greatfull.

GreenBoy

famousdavis
09-26-2003, 07:02 PM
Whenever this question is raised on these boards, I have no qualms about recommending SprintDB Pro (http://www.kaione.com). After trying all the other competing titles, I found SprintDB Pro to be the easiest to use overall, and especially when building forms. Yes, it handles subforms.

You may be disappointed at the "database engine" that runs on your PPC. SprintDB (and similar programs) all use the PocketPC operating system's ADOCE database. The ADOCE database has very limited SQL capability -- for instance, you can join no more than two tables together, and there is no GROUP BY clause! Even still, I was able to develop a very nice database program to capture all of my homeschooling records.

Word of advice: Develop your database design in Access, then sync a copy of the database to your PPC. Although you can create tables in SprintDB (and other programs), you may have a problem trying to later sync a copy to your desktop (that happened to me).

CTSLICK
09-26-2003, 08:12 PM
My favorite is still HanDBase. Check it out at DDH Software (http://www.ddhsoftware.com/).

Plenty of power, ability to link tables, desktop form designer and an Access conduit. And you don't have to know SQL to create queries.

GreenBoy2
09-27-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the reply's

I will give HanDBase ago, but i have already down loaded a trial version of SprintDB to see how I get on.

SQL has always been a bit of a mistary to me so this may be a bit of a chalange, but hopefully worth it.

Know any good sites / books on teaching SQL.? I will try the microsoft news group for the same but any pointers greatly recieved.

Thanks again

GreenBoy

Sven Johannsen
09-27-2003, 07:26 PM
There are tons of books on SQL, including a good For Dummies one. Unfortunately not all SQLs are created equal, or standard. If you use Access, and that is a good reason to gravitate towards SprintDB over HanDBase, you can use the query builder in Access and take a look at the SQL it generates. With some massaging, you can transfer that text into SprintDB. A real convenient way of doing this is with something like PocketContoller.

CTSLICK
09-28-2003, 12:19 AM
...If you use Access, and that is a good reason to gravitate towards SprintDB over HanDBase, you can use the query builder in Access and take a look at the SQL it generates. With some massaging, you can transfer that text into SprintDB. A real convenient way of doing this is with something like PocketContoller.

This is a very interesting idea...hmmmm...maybe its time to give this a try with a trial of SprintDB. Its been a long while since I tried it any way.

Thanks for the idea.

famousdavis
09-28-2003, 05:34 AM
Know any good sites / books on teaching SQL.? I will try the microsoft news group for the same but any pointers greatly recieved.

Well, now, if you're well-monied, I would be happy to personally tutor you on using SQL. My 15-years of experience in the IT industry and recent B.S. degree in MIS would assure you of complete satisfaction! :D

And if you're not well-monied? Well, there's always those Dummies and Idiots books to choose from.... :wink:

Ripper014
09-30-2003, 05:42 AM
Sounds like you might want to look at VisualCE... I love the program, I created a DB for my DvDs and it works and looks great. The best part was that it was not hard to do. The layout of the form took a little bit of work, but all in all it was worth it.