View Full Version : WiFi Activesync with WM2003 and WinXP?

theon
09-25-2003, 07:51 PM
I really hope someone can help me.

Been trying to activesync and connect to the internet via Wifi for days. All the forums I have found refer to items I can't seem to find in my PPC. Are they all for 2002 systems?

I can connect my 5450 with my desktop. both sides show a strong connection. However, I can't seem to do anything with it! :oops: Somebody help me!

P.S. I have never used any sort of WiFi before so please go easy on the tech terms! :wink:

Maybe I should be more specific?

I'm running a 5450 and using a USB Wireless Adapter running on WinXP. Can someone please help? Need sleep... :cry:

ssnukala
09-29-2003, 04:01 PM
I have IPAq 5555, with PPC 2003.
Eventhough your computer detects your PPC and you have a strong signal, it will not launch active sync automatically.

Here is what you need to do

1. Place the PPC in IR range
2. Once the signal shows on your laptop, launch activesync on your PPC
3. Initially this will show "Not Connected"
4. You have to connect manually by selecting "Connect via IR" in the TOOLS menu (on the bottom left)

This should establish the connection via IR. This works for me.

Let me know if it works for you.

Srini

Julio
09-29-2003, 10:43 PM
Hello,

I think that the problem that you are experiencing is that your PPC cannot find the right computer to sync with. Everyone has had this problem and it is not documented well on how to go about fixing it. :?

When syncing over Wifi or Ethernet, you have to tell the PPC the IP address of the right computer to sync with. Here is how:
- first establish a partnership between the desktop computer and your PPC using the sync cable
- you will need to set static IP addresses on both the PPC and the desktop computer (no DHCP)
- in the Wifi network card setup (under Settings->Connection), set the static IP configurations for the network card.
- Make sure that you put the desktop computer's IP Address (the one that you will sync with) into the WINS address location on your PPC network card setup.
- make sure that you can ping the desktop from the PPC over Wifi to make sure that the network setup is correct
- make sure that on the desktop, the sync options are set to allow syncing over Ethernet
- if you are syncing with more than one PC, make sure that the appropriate PC is selected in the options menu of the ActiveSync program on the PPC

Once all of that is done and checked, then sync away! :D

Julio

Crazie.Eddie
10-19-2003, 08:43 AM
Your PPC needs to communicate to your PC via activesync using hostnames. On your PC, this is your computer name, on your PPC this is your Device ID. Currently, both devices (PC & PPC) are communicating together with an IP address. In order for activesync to work properly, it needs to use hostnames. Therefore, you will need to create a small table stating, this IP address is JoeSchmoePPC, etc. This is table is called a hostfile. Your PC should already know the hostname (Device ID) of your PPC. To verify this, find out your PPC's Device ID. For this example, we will use JoeSchmoePPC. Now on your PC, execute the command prompt and type the following:

ping JoeSchmoePPC

Then hit enter. Please note that none of the commands above are case sensitive. If you get messages stating "Unknown Hosts", let me know. I can give you more info to get that going properly. I don't think you will.

We will assume that your PC knows the hostname of your PPC, but your PPC does not know your PC's hostname. Therefore, you will probably need to create a table to associate the hostname and IP address. There's a freeware tool called PocketHosts that will do this for you. I have it around if you can't find it. You just need to enter in the IP address of your PC. To get this information, go to your PC and run the command prompt again and type the following:

IPCONFIG

Then hit enter. Again, these commands are not case sensitive. You will get some information, but look for the line for IP address. Copy this number down, becuase you will need to use it for the PocketHosts. Within PocketHosts, enter the IP address and the PC's hostname.

I think a PPC reset is required once you completed it. If possible, download the PPC app called PocketLAN. It contains some usefull tools such as getting the PPC's IP address and also pinging other machines on your network.

Try performing an activesync wirelessly and see if it works. If not, let me know. We can figure out what's going on.

Mark_Venture
10-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Been trying to activesync and connect to the internet via Wifi for days. All the forums I have found refer to items I can't seem to find in my PPC. Are they all for 2002 systems?

I can connect my 5450 with my desktop. both sides show a strong connection. However, I can't seem to do anything with it! :oops: Somebody help me!...

Sorry, your post is older, not sure if you got this fixed yet... I have a couple of questions before I make any suggestions....

1. Are you running PPC2002 or did you upgrade to WM2003? (i ask because you say "Are they all for 2002 systems?")

2. Is your Wi-Fi setup as Ad-HOC or do you use an Access Point or Wireless router?

theon
10-20-2003, 10:46 AM
1. Are you running PPC2002 or did you upgrade to WM2003? (i ask because you say "Are they all for 2002 systems?")

I've upgraded to WM2003.

2. Is your Wi-Fi setup as Ad-HOC or do you use an Access Point or Wireless router?

I think it should be ah-hoc. I'm using a USB WiFi adapter.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark_Venture
10-20-2003, 09:44 PM

UGHH!! My attempts to get Adhoc working failed :oops: , So I don't thing I can offer a suggestion. Sorry.

Now, If you were using an Access Point or Wireless router "in between" your wireless devices I could offer suggestions.

theon
10-20-2003, 11:30 PM

UGHH!! My attempts to get Adhoc working failed :oops: , So I don't thing I can offer a suggestion. Sorry.

Now, If you were using an Access Point or Wireless router "in between" your wireless devices I could offer suggestions.

Hahah.... At least you made me feel better about not being able to get it working... :lol:

Mark_Venture
10-21-2003, 12:24 AM
At least you made me feel better about not being able to get it working... :lol:
Glad to help :)

theon
10-23-2003, 07:12 AM
Believe it or not. Somehow, somewhere, someway... My PPC can now activesync by WiFi! How? I have no idea...

I had to hard reset to solve another problem :roll: and now it miraculously works? Maybe it's cause I haven't installed PocketHosts? I read on one of the forums that WM2003 doesn't like it?

Now how do I use the internet on Wifi... Hmmm...