View Full Version : Forum e-mails.

karen
09-25-2003, 07:22 PM
So I've subscribed to e-mails in HTML format so that I get all the nifty pictures and layouts....

However, my web-client that I have to use from client locations displays only the plain text in the intitial mail listing window.

So that means as I'm browsing my e-mail, I see:

Pocket PC Thoughts Team HARDWARE : Toshiba e805 Photos Publ...
If you are reading this, your email client does not support HTML-based email messages. You should return to Pocket PC Thoughts

Pocket PC Thoughts Team SOFTWARE : Microsoft Beta-Testing V...
If you are reading this, your email client does not support HTML-based email messages. You should return to Pocket PC Thoughts

Pocket PC Thoughts Team HARDWARE : Dell Axim X3 Unveiled...... If you are reading this, your email client does not support HTML-based email messages. You should return to Pocket PC Thoughts

Of course, I can click on the message and see the full HTML content. I understand why you've chosen to put this warning message in the HTML content for those of us who have chosen HTML format - good job. However, I'm wondering if it would be a nice compromise for you to include the first xx (maybe 100?) characters of the real content (article) before the warning so that those of us that have alternate e-mail clients (like cell phones, web-mail, etc. can at least scan the e-mail subject and content.

If not the leader from the article, then maybe the full headline? Then the warning message?

Karen

Jason Dunn
09-25-2003, 10:05 PM
I think the solution is to include the entire message in text format inside the HTML message. We'll try to enable that in the next couple of weeks.

karen
09-26-2003, 03:36 AM
I think the solution is to include the entire message in text format inside the HTML message. We'll try to enable that in the next couple of weeks.

See, now I thought you were brilliant for not doing that. I always thought that the double sending of content was a signficant waste where someone could select in advance what they want.

Depending on how your mailing stuff works, you should still be able to customize HTML messages with just a portion of the overall content in the Plain Text segment....

Janak Parekh
09-26-2003, 04:29 AM
Perhaps "HTML", "Plain Text", and a "Both" option? ;)

--janak

Jason Dunn
09-26-2003, 04:33 AM
See, now I thought you were brilliant for not doing that.

Well, so did we, but you're the second person to complain about not getting a "proper preview", so evidently it wasn't all that brilliant. :|

I always thought that the double sending of content was a signficant waste where someone could select in advance what they want.

For the newsletter, it would add a lot of weight, but for email blasts? We very rarely have more than 2-4 KB of pure text, so it's insignificant and would address the complaint you have.

Jason Dunn
09-26-2003, 04:39 AM
Perhaps "HTML", "Plain Text", and a "Both" option? ;)

Well, maybe, but then people will still complain who want the "proper preview" with the HTML version.

Janak Parekh
09-26-2003, 05:21 AM
Ah, I didn't realize this was for email blasts. It all makes sense now. :)

Anyway, here's the thing: we should put both text and HTML in a MIME/multipart-alternative email, and both plaintext and HTML readers should format it optimally -- as they should look for their optimal format. We could then even eliminate the choice.

Hmm, I think this is what you're saying. Ignore me. :lol:

--janak