View Full Version : Is there any talk of a Bluetooth/WiFi combo SDIO card

dkackman
09-24-2003, 10:30 PM
I just upgraded from the iPaq 1910 to 1935 so I could have an SDIO slot and a WiFi card.

I didn't go with the 1940 because having bluetooth didn't seem worth the $100 price bump between the two models and I just don't have a use for a Bluetooth PDA right now.

With that said however, in a year or so I'll probably get a Bluetooth capable phone and, if they ever actually hit the market, I'd really like to get a set of hi-fi Bluetooth stereo headphones. :rock on dude!:

Has anybody heard any rumors of a WiFi + Bluetooth SDIO combo card? Is such a thing even possible given current technology?

JustinGTP
09-25-2003, 04:55 AM
That would be a neat Idea for the pdas without bluetooth!

-Justin.

vovillamor
09-25-2003, 02:49 PM
I just upgraded from the iPaq 1910 to 1935 so I could have an SDIO slot and a WiFi card.

Has anybody heard any rumors of a WiFi + Bluetooth SDIO combo card? Is such a thing even possible given current technology?

I'm thinking of getting a 1935 just for the same reasons. I don't have any immediate need for Bluetooth, but have always planned on getting a Bluetooth phone and PDA combo (once unlimited data plans become more affordable), but the $100 I'd save by buying an iPAQ 1935 instead of a 1940 would help buy an SDIO Wi-Fi card...which I do need right now.

I agree that a combo wireless SDIO card would be great, but I haven't heard of anything like this until dkackman mentioned it. I've been watching out for new PDA's to come out that had both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, but the iPAQ 5550 is simply too expensive (and too big) for me. A combo wireless SDIO card would be a good alternative...that is if the price of the card and a PDA does not come up to be more that the price of a 5550.

Any more comments about a combo wireless SDIO card?

seidler
09-25-2003, 03:09 PM
erm .. :?
Just a little question: can someone first show me an Compact Flash BT/WiFi combo card? :oops: Unless this is out, no need to talk about SDIO :devilboy:

Stefan

dkackman
09-25-2003, 04:37 PM
Did a quick Google on "Bluetooth wifi combo" and the all hits refer to a press release from a company called Universal Scientific Industrial that says they have Bluetooth/WiFi chip

http://www.usi.com.tw/press/03_0617.htm

A search for "bluetooth 802.11 combo" turns up a press release from MSI but it appears to be a desktop product.

http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/bw.110402/223080387.htm

Interestingly both anouncements are in partnership with a company named Cambridge Silicon Radio on the Bluetooth side.

seidler
09-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Interestingly both anouncements are in partnership with a company named Cambridge Silicon Radio on the Bluetooth side.
Well CSR is IMHO the leading bluetooth chip manufacturer.

And that:
http://www.usi.com.tw/press/03_0617.htm[/url]]This module measures 22x29X3.3 millimeters, only 20% of the size of a miniPCI
CFA (Compact Flash Association):
The international standard that prescribes specifications for compact flash card.
External dimensions
Type I: 36.4 x 42.8 x 3.3 mm (1.43" x 1.69" x 0.13")
Secure Digital Memory Card for digital cameras
Non-volatile memory card, weight only 2 grams
Dimensions: 37 x 24 x 2.1mm
A bit thinner, and they can make it ;)

Stefan
but still: anyone has a link where to buy such a card in Compact Flash?