View Full Version : Sony To Sell PDA-Compatible TV Tuners

Janak Parekh
09-24-2003, 07:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=569&ncid=1211&e=8&u=/nm/20030924/tc_nm/tech_sony_tuner_dc' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...h_sony_tuner_dc</a><br /><br /></div>"Consumer electronics maker Sony Corp said on Wednesday it planned to ship in December samples of a mini digital broadcast tuner module that would enable mobile phones to act as televisions. The tuner module, which is smaller than a postage stamp, can be used in mobile applications such as cell phones or personal digital assistants (PDAs)."<br /><br />So, I have a question for all of you who want everything in a PDA: what do you do when the next great thing comes out, like TV embeddability as suggested by Sony's new chipset? Then, there'll be FM radio, game control, high-res camera, speakers... where do we stop with PDAs? :lol: Don't get me wrong -- I think this is a fantastic idea -- it just makes it increasingly harder to define what the ultimate PDA is.

JonnoB
09-24-2003, 07:50 PM
Bandwidth permitting, I would love to watch TV on my phone/PDA. It would be a good way to relax in a long train or car ride, catch the latest sporting or stock changes, and much more. What do you think? Will TV eventually come over the phone network, or will it pick up OTA broadcasts?

Sslixtis
09-24-2003, 07:59 PM
I'm just waiting on them to get EVERYTHING into a PDA and then implant it in my brain! Direct neural interface is the only way to go, no need for screens or manual inputs, everything goes straight into your mind! Perfect graphics and instantaneous input!

:werenotworthy:

nobody
09-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Direct neural interface is the only way to go

Wow!!! You should patent your idea. One day you might be able to sue Macrosoft or something.

Gremmie
09-24-2003, 08:11 PM
Don't get me wrong -- I think this is a fantastic idea -- it just makes it increasingly harder to define what the ultimate PDA is.

Well, isn't that what is happening? Finding out a PDA is a temporary solution while everything gets smaller and merges into a multimedia organizer?

Kaber
09-24-2003, 08:14 PM
I'm just waiting on them to get EVERYTHING into a PDA and then implant it in my brain! Direct neural interface is the only way to go, no need for screens or manual inputs, everything goes straight into your mind! Perfect graphics and instantaneous input!

:werenotworthy:

I'm so right there with you on this. I think there was a thread before about "the ultimate PDA" and I said neuro interface and bio powered.

Put it all in, then put it in me.

And I want to be able to do a projection display from out of one of my eyes or at least have s-video out.

JonnoB
09-24-2003, 08:16 PM
I'm so right there with you on this. I think there was a thread before about "the ultimate PDA" and I said neuro interface and bio powered.

Upgrades will be painful.

dean_shan
09-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Built in FM would be nice. I would really like a nice game boy like button set-up. That would make a PPC the ultimate emulation device.

bkerrins
09-24-2003, 08:18 PM
I think the PDA is evolving into the tri-corder from Star Trek. Full on system to diagnose systems operations, personal health, communications, analysis. It already can be used in terminal mode, just saw the article to connect your PDA up to a Voyager Pulse Oximeter and PDR...Only thing it needs to do now is be able to recognize alternative lifestyles.

doc
09-24-2003, 08:22 PM
I already watch TV on my PDA at home using WiFi and Snapstream. With Snapstream I also watch at work through the web interface.

I just got PCS Vision service so I'm working on getting it wireless to my PDA :mrgreen:

Godsongz
09-24-2003, 08:42 PM
I'd love to this this postage-stamp size chip in a CF card so instead of waiting for a TV-capable PDA, I can just slap it into mine.

wardseward
09-24-2003, 08:42 PM
-- it just makes it increasingly harder to define what the ultimate PDA is.

The ultimate PDA will always be the one that hasn't come out yet. There's no ceiling in the tech world.

:robot:

yawanag
09-24-2003, 08:45 PM
When computers were new, I tried to keep up with the latest and the greatest. I have come to reality and know that I will never be able to have it all (and just when I think I do, someone will have an all upgrade).

I now settle for what meets my life the way I function on a daily basis: the TV Guide, Mapopolis, Lexionary, VOS Shopping List, Pocket Expense, ForgetMeNot, ebooks, FreeWallet and a few games.

So, for now I am going to be content when I get the new T-Mobile MDA II and a 512 SD Card (and if you believe that, I've some cows on a farm in Missouri to sell you :mrgreen: )

HOLLYWOOD_
09-24-2003, 08:55 PM
A TV Tuner is almost useless unless it includes Cable channels or Satellite channels. :mrgreen:

powder2000
09-24-2003, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't need it. To me it's one more thing I don't need. Of course I don't ride a train to and from work. :|

mangochutneyman
09-24-2003, 09:26 PM
I'd love to this this postage-stamp size chip in a CF card so instead of waiting for a TV-capable PDA, I can just slap it into mine.

Actually Sony had already demoed a concept MS Tv card this past March at Cebit:

http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/966.jpg

jasonc
09-24-2003, 09:39 PM
But you know that because it's from Sony, they're not going to release it in SD or CF format.. only in Memory Stick format.

hindencm
09-24-2003, 10:25 PM
Shame on Sony for only releasing it on Memory Stick Format :cry: They should really make this thing in SD or CF formats supporting most PDA's.

apeguero
09-24-2003, 10:54 PM
I hope that tuner is Digital TV signal compatible which will be the standard here next year. That would be totally sweet. If I'm not mistaken, regular UHF and VHF signals will be shut off starting either in 2005 or 2006.

Imagine all of the gadgets that would be converged into one -- pocket PC. This is what I would like to see in the ultimate Pocket PC, the new Intel CPUs for PPCs that can handle up to 4megapixel pics and have Cell Phone capabilities, plus add WIFI/Bluetooth, also 128 to 256mb RAM, FM plus AM tuner (hey, I like Talk Radio :oops: ). That would make for one hell of a pocket PC. Plus add a 4" screen, GPS CF Card, multi gigabyte SD card, enhanced 3D Video card by either ATI or nVidia, fold-away keyboad, voice recognition...I could go on and on. Off-course, all of this is useless if the thing will need to be recharged every half hour :devilboy: One thing we would need for sure, MORE BATTERY POWER! 0X

PS come up with an attractive design like the iPaq h2100 series or the Sony UX50 :D

rbrome
09-25-2003, 12:08 AM
Here's the actual Japanese press release, in English:

http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=5681

It doesn't mention NTSC or PAL, nor HDTV. It seems to be referring to some new digital TV standard that will go live for the first time in some Japanese territories this December. It also mentions some new standard specifically designed to broadcast TV signals to mobile (moving) mobile devices, that will be available in 2005 (in Japan only, of course).

Anyone else know more about Japanese TV standards who can sort this out?

hindencm
09-25-2003, 12:10 AM
GPS CF Card??? Try BUILT IN GPS!!! :wink:

Terry
09-25-2003, 06:32 AM

Upgrades will be painful.

Heaven forbid a crash during flash reprogramming.... 0X

Jonathan1
09-25-2003, 06:56 AM
Don't need it...don't want it. Reception concerns aside (I've seen the only TV sleeve for the iPaq and it gets piss poor reception unless you turn yourself into a human antenna, don't ask.) isn't there a point where we say enough extra gimmick crap? PPC's are now only starting to really get respectable battery life are not finally competing with Palm on size. IMHO it seems as if adding more golly gee wiz features like consumer grade IR, TV tuner, maybe even a radio would start to become overkill. Honestly I've never had a craving to carry a TV with me. (Check that on 9/11 and during Columbia I did wish I had a TV on me but hopefully incidents like that are going to be few and VERY far between.) But if it floats your boat more power to you. :) I guess I fall into the K.I.S.S. group of people.

dean_shan
09-25-2003, 09:07 AM
I guess I fall into the K.I.S.S. group of people.

What? The only KISS I can think of is the band. I'm missing somthing here.

Rudolf
09-25-2003, 09:52 AM
I guess I fall into the K.I.S.S. group of people.

What? The only KISS I can think of is the band. I'm missing somthing here.
Keep It Simple Stupid

surur
09-25-2003, 03:03 PM
Don't need it...don't want it....

isn't there a point where we say enough extra gimmick crap? PPC's are now only starting to really get respectable battery life are not finally competing with Palm on size...

But if it floats your boat more power to you. :) I guess I fall into the K.I.S.S. group of people.
Some stuff snipped...

If you only want a PDA and want to compete with palm, you probably want a palm V in any case... small, stylish, great battery life, S.imple...

But for my pocketPC I want it all! For me the whole thing is not what I want, its about having what I want available to me where I am and when I want it.

A TV tuner on my pc is useless to me when I'm in the doctors waiting room. My CD collection is useless to me when I'm in the bank queue. And my library of books are useless to me when I'm not at home and need to look something up. Googling on my pocketpc has made that service even more usefull..

So go ahead, cram in as much functionality as possible, at a reasonable price with the least compromises, and I promise to buy it!

PocketPC's... Tech WHEN you want it, WHERE you want it!

Surur

ctmagnus
09-25-2003, 10:51 PM
PocketPC's... Tech WHEN you want it, WHERE you want it!

:rock on dude!:

grobin
09-29-2003, 07:39 PM
If they put out a TV Tuner CF card I would buy one -- especially if it included FM Radio and was fairly priced. I doubt if I would use it all that much BUT there are times when a small portable TV would be useful to me. And my area has quite a few TV stations that a small portable TV with little antenna would receive.

I would NOT pay extra for it to be included INSIDE my next PPC but I would buy one if it was a CF form factor plugin module.