View Full Version : 2210 Finger Taps

easycass
09-24-2003, 03:27 PM
Hi there,

Having recently traded in my trusty Psion 3a after many years of great (and reliable alarm) service, I find myself with a nice new 2210. I have a question about the screen. I have tried some of the full screen keyboards (like typango) and I am wondering, do the keys require the use of fingernails rather than fingertips? My finger tips just don't do anything. I am a computer nerd from way back, and most touch screens quite happily can register a soft finger tap. The 2210 has a sort of a clear plastic cover over what might be the screen. Is this normal? The machine was brand new when I got it, and I didn't put any plastic cover over it. I don't have anotehr one to compare to right this minute either. Everything works fine with a stylus, or hard edge, but finger tips just don't do it? What am I missing...

Cheers,
Cass.

easycass
09-24-2003, 06:07 PM
C'mon, please help someone in distress! There are a lot of people looking and and I just nmeed a little answer... So everyone, all I want to know is this:

Can other peoples' HP 2210s acknowledge the light finger presses made using the skin on the tip of their fingers, or does it require a tap with the finger nails? If the former, any explanation as to why mine is the way it is?

Many thanks... Cass... :cry:

Chris Spera
09-24-2003, 06:49 PM
I don't think this is a 2200 specific issue. I think you will find this experience consistent over all devices that use a touch screen, and most specifically, every Pocket PC that **I** have ever owned...

I have found that the harder the edge, the better the accuracy of your finger/ stylus taps. At the very least, you want something firm and directed... like a finger nail, or stylus.

Some full screen keyboards, like the one from Spb Software House, are meant for "thumb-ing;" but I don't use an app like that... I would try that app, see how it works for you, and then go from there.

I have tried using my fingers to tap items and its just never worked well for me. I always use a finger nail or a stylus.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Sven Johannsen
09-24-2003, 06:49 PM
No explanation of why yours is the way it is, but mine registers finger pushes just fine, it even registers pressure on the case if it is on.

easycass
09-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the reply Chris and Sven...

Sven, if I may ask... Did your device come with what appears to be some kind of protective clear layer on top of the screen itself? See, when I press with the stylus, the thin see-through film presses down by maybe half a mm onto what I imagine to be the hard surface of the screen below. Almost like a built in screen protector. But is this normal for all these devices. Like when you press with your stylus, is the top layer of the screen slightly indented, or should the stylus press firmly on the screen, with no actual pressing-indentation. ie... do you think my version of the 2210 has got a built in screen-protector or something?

Many thanks,
Cass.

Chris Spera
09-24-2003, 09:25 PM
No, I would call that a defect. The screen isn't supposed to do that...

You might want to give HP a call...

Christopher Spera

busterz
09-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Regarding the thin film of plastic on the screen, having had three 2210's in as many months, each one has had this film of plastics, youll find its normal, mine also has a slight indentation when you press on the screen, as did all three of them, installing a screen protector will flatten the effect out..

Busterz

Brad Adrian
09-25-2003, 01:52 AM
Part of the issue is simply the difference between the touchscreens used on the Psions and those on (most) Pocket PCs. I had used Psions for years, and their screens do have a different tactile feel.

cslaughtermd
09-25-2003, 03:23 AM
I agree, I think that all PDAs have different tactile feels and each one may require slightly different amounts of pressure to register. If the stylus and your fingernails are working then the screen is probably fine, if you don't like the feel of the screen or are unsure, go to compusa or another store and play with all of them to get a feel if yours is defective or you like another one better.
Good Luck!

hollis_f
09-25-2003, 07:38 AM
PPC screens obviously use a different technology from Psion. It still bothers me that every PPC I've used has shown this 'indentation' effect to some extent. The best way to see it is to switch the PPC off and get a bright light replecting on the screen. Then try moving the stylus about with normal pressure. You should be able to see a (hopefully tiny) halo following the point. With my Loox the screen sank about 2mm near the edges - most disconcerting.

easycass
09-25-2003, 08:13 AM
Yea, I dunno. I just figured a 'touch' screen meant exactly that. I should be able to touch it with anything really, and you'd think that having the capability to recognize the soft ends of my finger-tips would be the first thing that a touch screen should recognize. I mean, I can't just press lightly on something like the big calculater keys... it's fingernails or stylus, which is not very user friendly at all. I just don't get it? Why not make it so it was prperly touch sensitive... maybe I am missing something here...

Do all the users of 2210's have this same 'feature'?