View Full Version : Update On TV Listing Applications

Brad Adrian
09-24-2003, 01:00 PM
You may be aware that the two most popular TV listing applications for the Pocket PC -- Pocket TV Listing (http://ptvl.thumbsupsoft.com/) and Pocket TV Browser (http://www.pimcity.com/ptvbrowser/) -- have been embroiled in legal battles with TVGuide.com. Both programs had been getting their TV show listing data from TVGuide.com, but TVGuide.com recently completely reformatted their data and has demanded that Pocket TV Listing and Pocket TV Browser users and applications stop downloading the data.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/adrian/ptvl.jpg

As a result, development and support for Pocket TV Browser has been dropped; it seems to be completely dead in the water. However, ThumbsUpSoft, the developer of Pocket TV Listing, has worked through multiple revisions and has now come up with a version that can utilize listing data from a different source.

What that means is that -- at least for now -- Pocket TV Listings is back up and running. I've been using it all through this ordeal and it seems to work just fine with the new data source. Finding the most up-to-date version can be a bit tricky, so you'll need to go to the Announcements section of the Pocket TV Listings discussion forum (http://ptvl.thumbsupsoft.com/forums/index.php).

I have always liked Pocket TV Listings, so I'm very glad that its developer has been working so hard to keep it working amidst all the turmoil surrounding the listing data. It's simply the most useful, easy-to-use and fun TV listing application available.

piperpilot
09-24-2003, 01:23 PM
There's a new update to PTVL available today to fix a problem with the new listing service causing the Weblink function of PTVL to crash. I experienced many crashes yesterday but am happy to have PTVL back and running in time for the new TV season this week. One complaint that I have is that the show descriptions from the new listing source are not as detailed as they were from TV Guide.com and for some strange reason, I cannot get all my channels to load onto my iPAQ. It will only load 4 of the 6 channels that I have selected, even though the Weblink downloads information for all 6 channels.

Steven Cedrone
09-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Now that PTVL is using a new source for listings, I can get all of my channels without any problems. While the battle with TVGuide was going on, it was hit or miss as to whether or not my listings would be there when I checked my 2215. I think TVGuide realised that they wouldn't be able to stop PTVL by changing the page to deter "scrapers", so they finally sent the lawyers after them...

Kudos to Thumbs Up! Soft for not giving up and abandoning us!!! :way to go:

Steve

piperpilot
09-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Kudos to Thumbs Up! Soft for not giving up and abandoning us!!! :way to go:

Yes! I should have added my thanks to Thumbs Up! Soft to my post. I use this program every day and have really come to rely on it to keep me informed about what's on TV, so I am REALLY HAPPY to have PTVL back up and running on a consistent basis.

Mike Temporale
09-24-2003, 01:39 PM
It doesn't appear to support us Canadians. :(

XMLTV.org has feeds for Canada, so it looks like an application restriction. Too bad, I was interested in checking it out.

Bob Anderson
09-24-2003, 02:08 PM
To think that I had just thought about sending in my subscription to TV Guide!!!

I believe that PTVL is one of the best apps I have for my iPaq. I used it constantly until the TVGuide.com brawl began. I'll now upgrade to the new version and get back to enjoying the power of the application.

For the life of me, I do not understand why TVGuide.com can't come to some agreement to work with people like myself who want to use PTVL. I can subscribe to TVGuide for a quarter an issue... So why can't these people see that for $12 a year they could easily handle "online" subscribers and probably make money too?

This is one of those things where you just have to shake your head at management and wonder, "what are they thinking." Instead they'll force people to use sources like XMLTV.org and ultimately make their commodity even less important! (Witness the demise of another business not willing to change with the times.)

Doug Raeburn
09-24-2003, 02:19 PM
From the Doublebit software forums, regarding Pocket TV Browser:

"Just a quick note to let people know that I'm in the process of working with another company that provides TV listings. I believe they will let you download listings free for two weeks (through Pocket TV Manager), and then they will require a small annual subscription fee."

http://www.palmapps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28

So it seems that Pocket TV Browser may not be dead after all.

I've had licenses for both products for quite some time, and have preferred PTB for its lightning fast performance and its intuitive web browser inspired navigation. PTVL's greatest strengths have been its grid view and the ability to skin the app. I found PTB's advantages to be somewhat more compelling, although I must say that now that I've been using PTVL a bit more of late, I'm finding many things to appreciate there as well.

I give Michael Schoneman a lot of credit for perservering with PTVL while TV Guide was doing its level best to derail his efforts. Switching to XMLTV has had the benefits of much faster downloads and a greater channel assortment. The downside has been significantly reduced detail about the programs and a lack of movie listings. But at least it's working reliably again, and that's the most important thing.

Jeff from PimCity didn't elaborate on the provider with whom he's making arrangements for PTB. However, if that collaboration results in more in-depth information about the programs (as compared to the PTVL source) and the subscription is reasonably priced, I'll probably check it out.

Brad Adrian
09-24-2003, 02:22 PM
There's a new update to PTVL available today to fix a problem with the new listing service causing the Weblink function of PTVL to crash.
That's another good point. In most cases, updates are downloaded automatically when Weblink is run

It will only load 4 of the 6 channels that I have selected, even though the Weblink downloads information for all 6 channels.
You might want to make sure that on your Pocket PC your registration information has been correctly entered or that it hasn't become corrupted.

piperpilot
09-24-2003, 02:24 PM
[quote=piperpilot]It will only load 4 of the 6 channels that I have selected, even though the Weblink downloads information for all 6 channels.
You might want to make sure that on your Pocket PC your registration information has been correctly entered or that it hasn't become corrupted.

Actually, I just noticed that it seems to be loading all six channels starting for next week. Maybe there are some vestiges of the old program left in this week's listings? I haven't a clue.

Lotto
09-24-2003, 02:29 PM
I have to agree with Doug. I have used PocketTV Browser for well over a year, and it is the most awesome program. The search features are lightning fast, and all the linking from a simple tap is unsurpassed. I hope it can soon be resurrected.

Brad Adrian
09-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Actually, I just noticed that it seems to be loading all six channels starting for next week. Maybe there are some vestiges of the old program left in this week's listings? I haven't a clue.
I have seen that happen with earlier revisions, so it may be that you need to completely re-create your downloaded database. You can double-check this on the PTVL discussion board, but in the past I've simply deleted the Thumbs Up!\Pocket TV Listings\cache\cache.zip file and then re-run Weblink.

piperpilot
09-24-2003, 02:46 PM
I'll give that a try. Thanks Brad!

. . . and it worked!

yawanag
09-24-2003, 02:55 PM
I'll add my thanks to ThumpsUpSoft. I've been using this program for two years. I was wondering why I was having problems recently (Had to go a week without it).

I am glad now that with this version I am able to get some of the channels I could never get before.

One problem I'm having (and would like to know if anyone else is) is that I have been unable to go to Setup and edit the colors for the categories as I did before. I go in and edit them, but after I close out, there is no color.

piperpilot
09-24-2003, 02:58 PM
One problem I'm having (and would like to know if anyone else is) is that I have been unable to go to Setup and edit the colors for the categories as I did before. I go in and edit them, but after I close out, there is no color.

The categories from the new listing service have different names, so the colors that you assigned to the old TV Guide.com categories don't show up any more. You have to go to each type of show, see what the new category name is, then assign a color to it.

Note: There doesn't seem to be any category assigned to comedies, so they must remain white.

Brad Adrian
09-24-2003, 02:59 PM
...I have been unable to go to Setup and edit the colors for the categories as I did before...
I haven't had that problem with the new versions. I don't want to create a lot of work for anybody, but there have been a couple of times that I had problems with earlier versions that a complete uninstall -- reset -- reinstall fixed.

lmtuxinc
09-24-2003, 03:48 PM
The categories from the new listing service have different names, so the colors that you assigned to the old TV Guide.com categories don't show up any more. You have to go to each type of show, see what the new category name is, then assign a color to it.

Note: There doesn't seem to be any category assigned to comedies, so they must remain white.

You can fix that by making a show have a "sticky" category. then, all the shows with that title will be assigned the same category and its color.

Now if we could just get some good skins for PTVL.

Alan

David Johnston
09-24-2003, 04:06 PM
This sounds like a wonderful opportunity to plug something I did a few weeks ago - a pocketpc-formatted page with todays listings for television in the UK:
http://www.johnsto.co.uk/tv/

The data comes from Ananova, so if anyone wants to create a new TV app, there's one source of free XML TV info!

Kaber
09-24-2003, 04:49 PM
I really really want PTVBrowser to work. It was by far the fastest and the best, IMHO. I'm even willing to pay an annual sub to get it to work... as long as it can still give me 2 weeks of listings and reviews.

On the other hand, PTVL looks to be working, so I may just switch if PTVB doesn't come back online soon.

Some people may also want to check out the free beta (http://www.guideremote.com/NonMembers/pocketpc/InstallPPC.cfm?SubID=10442&Verify=SecondScreenTV) of SecondScreenTV. It only has 3 days of listings, and it is kinda buggy (even for a beta). The interface is decent. Hey, it's FREE.

Steven Cedrone
09-24-2003, 05:34 PM
I am glad now that with this version I am able to get some of the channels I could never get before.

You just reminded me... I forgot to mention one thing about XMLTV vs. TVGuide: When the old TVG download was used, I could neve get all of my channels (Digital Cable), with XMLTV the listings include every channel available from my provider... :way to go:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
09-24-2003, 06:01 PM
It doesn't appear to support us Canadians. :(

XMLTV.org has feeds for Canada, so it looks like an application restriction. Too bad, I was interested in checking it out.

This is from the PTVL Message Boards:

From the Zap2It.com FAQ:

http://tvlistings2.zap2it.com/faq.asp#gen-3
Quote:

Yes. Zap2it.com offers a full range of Canadian on-air, cable and satellite listings. After inputting your postal code (without a space) you will be prompted to choose a provider. After that, you should have your grid.

I believe leaving out the space is the key to get this to work.

Give that a shot and let us know if it works!!!

Steve

Mike Temporale
09-24-2003, 06:30 PM
:( No Luck. The field for Zip Code will only allow numeric values. If I try and type my postal code "l5n7p9" I end up with "579". No letters. :(

motbe
09-24-2003, 06:36 PM
I got bored last week, of having trouble with PTVB. So I wrote a quick .Net App to download my listings using XMLTV, and then threw together a small .Net CF app for my PocketPC to view the data.. Because the XML's not compressed, it does take up more space on my device than the PTVB DB did, but it still works great.. I'm working on increasing the speed of the app now, since loading XML in the .Net CF is extremely slow.. Maybe I'll release that and the instructions for its use when I get the app a little more stable..

XML TV supports listings for many different countries, so that would allow many of those who aren't in the US to get their listings too.

yawanag
09-24-2003, 08:58 PM

Muchas Gratias for the help. That accounts for why I could change one at a time instead of checking the box of the category that I wanted changed.

ctmagnus
09-24-2003, 10:11 PM
OT:

Very, very shortly before Pimcity's (PTVB) servers went down, someone there sent me (cmagnusson on that forum) a PM that I never got to read. Was that anyone on this board? If so, was it important?

OnT:

These programs are amazing. I :ppclove: PTVBs ability to add shows to your Outlook calendar.

Kaber
09-24-2003, 11:37 PM
It was me. Not important.

I miss the Calender function the most.

Steven Cedrone
09-25-2003, 03:20 AM
:( No Luck. The field for Zip Code will only allow numeric values. If I try and type my postal code "l5n7p9" I end up with "579". No letters. :(

O.K., do this:

Put your zip code in Notepad, use caps, highlight, copy and paste into the zipcode field in Weblink... Then continue...

Now it will work... :wink:

Steve

Mike Temporale
09-25-2003, 03:56 AM

O.K., do this:

Put your zip code in Notepad, use caps, highlight, copy and paste into the zipcode field in Weblink... Then continue...

Now it will work... :wink:

Steve

Hahaha... That's too much. I never liked validating onKeyPress.

Everything is working great now! Looks like it's missing my LeafsTV Channel. :(

Thanks for the help Steve!

beq
09-25-2003, 04:43 AM
Feh who needs a guide. Just give me weekly T'Pol and I'm happy :mrgreen:

That reminds me, it was on today, need to check my ReplayTV...

Kaber
09-25-2003, 05:54 AM
I was hoping that Snapstream (http://www.snapstream.com) would put out a guide for PDA that you could mark shows to be recored and then when you sync, it uploads the schedule to your snapstream. That would be cool.

doublebit
09-25-2003, 11:15 AM
I hope to have a free Pocket TV Browser update available for download in less than a week. The update will include support for both Palm and Pocket PC. The new listing provider I'm working with has been responsive and helpful.

My decision to pull Pocket TV Browser until a partnership with a listing provider was in place was based on several factors: tvguide.com was making lots of changes to their web site, not to mention sending threatening letters; the constant changes and repeated software updates were headaches for both users and myself, so rather than force folks to participate in a "perpetual beta", I decided to offer refunds on all recent purchases instead the only way we can avoid downtime is by paying for an online listing subscription, because despite all the excitement about XMLTV, it's just as dependent on "grabbers" grabbing from web sites that are still subject to change, and in the worst case, legal action.In the meantime, while I see how well the listing subscription plan is received, Pocket TV Browser will be free, so your only cost will be a small annual subscription fee (payable through the listing provider's web site, not Pocket TV Browser). They offer a trial period, so you don't have to pay right away. They offer listings for both Canada and the U.S. Assuming it works out, I'll begin working on a V2 release that will incorporate some cool new features and UI enhancements, and at that point, Pocket TV Browser will become shareware again.

I'll probably add XMLTV support as well, but only as a free extension, not as part of what you're paying for. The biggest problem in terms of customer support/satisfaction is that some people simply don't understand or accept exactly what they're paying for, or what's happening "underneath" the software, or who's responsible for keeping the entire pipeline operational. Every time an XMLTV component needs to be updated, I don't relish the thought of having to work on that component and/or redistribute it to all Pocket TV Browser users.

Anyway, that's the scoop. In the meantime, watch the Announcements on the Pocket TV Browser (http://palmapps.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3) forum.

Thanks,
Jeff Parsons (Pocket TV Browser developer)

Lotto
09-25-2003, 01:40 PM
YEAH!!! :D

Brad Adrian
09-25-2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Jeff. It's great to hear that you've been able to weather the TVGuide.com craziness, too. And, I don't think most people will mind paying a reasonable fee for downloading the listings, if it comes to that. I'm looking forward to your revised software.

Kaber
09-25-2003, 05:13 PM
Best of luck Jeff! I can't wait!

kiwi
10-02-2003, 11:08 PM
hi,

is there a program to get Canadian TV listings?

B

Mike Temporale
10-03-2003, 02:20 AM
hi,

B

On page 3 of this thread Steve helped me get this application working for my postal code. Try it out, it works great for me.

Kaber
10-03-2003, 04:57 AM
For those of you who are/were PTVB users, there is a new version "ready for testing" (v1.60 still freeware) which will accept listings from GuideRemote ($10 for a 1 year subscription). These are the same listings as used by SecondScreenTV if anyone has tried it. No reviews, but it has stars and all the search features work and the favorites also. It is very quick to download new listings. Some of the categories (action, western, like that) don't match the listings, but a lot is being worked on between Jeff and GuideRemote. Someone might want to post this on the front page. I don't know how widespread Jeff wants to make this just yet though.

PIMCity (http://www.pimcity.com) check the forums it explains everything.

kiwi
10-03-2003, 06:02 AM
hi,

B

On page 3 of this thread Steve helped me get this application working for my postal code. Try it out, it works great for me.

cheers mate, :D

I will check it out.. though I did find out SportsNet are showing the RUGBY WORLD CUP live ! yay! yay! :beer: