View Full Version : Surname Yomi Outlook field?

ctmagnus
09-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Outlook 2002 SP-2

I'm fiddling with the Contacts view and I have the option to sort by Surname Yomi (View -> Current View -> Customize Current View -> Sort... -> Sort items by). However, That's the only place I can find that field.

You can also sort by Company Yomi or Given Yomi.

From what I can tell, Yomi is a Yiddish word. But what's it mean? Babelfish doesn't do Yiddish. :wink:

KISSONLINEMobile
09-24-2003, 01:43 AM
Actually it is there for Japanese. Because Japanese kanji characters can be read/pronounced several differents ways, there is usually a field for entering the reading (or yomi) of the kanji. The yomi is entered using one of the three Japanese writing systems (sometime hiragana or katagana). This helps avoid misunderstandings in pronunciation.

Hope that helps!

ctmagnus
09-24-2003, 04:35 AM
So it's essentially the pronunciation for each field.

And I thought it was Yiddish. :roll: :oops: :twak: :lol:

maximus
09-25-2003, 02:54 AM
A very complex language indeed. For those of you who want more information on japanese language, read here, (http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html) I find it very informative (and entertaining).

:D

ctmagnus
09-25-2003, 04:01 AM
A very complex language indeed. For those of you who want more information on japanese language, read here, (http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~thoureau/japanese.html) I find it very informative (and entertaining).

:D

But what about Yiddish? You don't know Yiddish? :twak: :wink: When I googled "Surname Yomi" it returned a whole bunch of hits with Yiddish in their descriptions.

You really should learn Yiddish. :mrgreen:

maximus
09-25-2003, 07:59 AM
Naaaah. My next language learning will be Canadian English. ha ha ha.

ctmagnus
09-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Naaaah. My next language learning will be Canadian English. ha ha ha.

Remember the u's... Favourite, neighbour...

And we actually say owt, abowt, dowt... rather than oot, aboot, doot...

:mrgreen: