View Full Version : Can Phatpad open notes created with PPC note program?

Jerry Raia
09-23-2003, 07:30 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to open notes created with the internal MS note program on the PPC(2003) in PhatPad 1.0? I cant even see them when I open the Phatpad program.

terrypin
09-23-2003, 08:30 AM
It doesn't seem so. I just registered PhatPad so I'm no expert, but all I see in the initial List View are the couple of files I created in the program itself. (Files? I mean 'small works of art' <g>)

Which raises the question about the distinction between the two options you see in Options>General against 'Show in list view':
All known files
PhatPad files only

There seems no difference in the resulting list here. And the Help doesn't shed any light on the definition of 'known files'.

BYW, I love the ink facilities, but there's one aspect of PhatPad I don't like. Even though I have the inbuilt Transcriber from same developer, it seems I'd have to buy the slightly superior Calligrapher to get my writing recognised in PhatPad.

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Jereboam
09-23-2003, 09:46 AM
I assume "all known files" currently refers to Calligrapher scratchpad files...

J'bm

terrypin
09-23-2003, 10:11 AM
I assume "all known files" currently refers to Calligrapher scratchpad files...

J'bm

Yes, thanks, that would make sense.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Jerry Raia
09-23-2003, 06:34 PM
Well while I do like the program this is a bit of disappointment. Maybe in a future version we could see that capability added.

Jerry Raia
09-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Well here is the response from them:

"No, you can not open them directly. But PhatPad allows cut and paste
editing, so you can copy the notes content into the Phatpad text area - if
built-in Notetaker allows selection and copying.
Tap and hold on the text area of PhatPad to see Edit (copy, paste, cut,
etc.) menu."

This, of course, does not work. MS notes allows you to copy but you cannot paste to the phatpad program, the option is greyed out.

:(

terrypin
09-24-2003, 08:46 AM
Well here is the response from them:

"No, you can not open them directly. But PhatPad allows cut and paste
editing, so you can copy the notes content into the Phatpad text area - if
built-in Notetaker allows selection and copying.
Tap and hold on the text area of PhatPad to see Edit (copy, paste, cut,
etc.) menu."

This, of course, does not work. MS notes allows you to copy but you cannot paste to the phatpad program, the option is greyed out.

:(

Yes, I can confirm that. In which case, unless I've misunderstood (it happens!), their reply is plainly wrong. And raises question as to how much testing of program they have done?

I tried several source programs, copying text to clipboard, but PhatPad would not paste. I assume you'll go back to them and ask for explanation?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Jerry Raia
09-25-2003, 08:51 AM
I have and am still waiting for a reply.....
and waiting....
and waiting...

:sleeping:

Jerry Raia
09-25-2003, 05:55 PM
This was the last email I sent them:

"Are you aware this doesn't not work? You can copy an MS note content but when you open a phatpad note, the paste function is grayed out. Have you ever tested this? Is a way to accomplish this in the works?"

No reply yet though.

Jerry Raia
09-26-2003, 01:41 AM
For those following this i received the following:

"Hmm...
I actually did try it, and it worked - for me at least.
Probably because I had some graphics in the file to start with. Then I tapped View\Text Note, tapped and held in the Text area, and Paste was active and ready for me right there.
Did you try to copy and paste shorter notes?
May be your text note is just too long? I will find out if there is message length limitations...

Regards,
Phatware Techsupport"

I responded with:

"I tried what you suggested too. It only works for text notes, not hand written notes and after you paste the text, you cant save the note in phatpad! It just vanishes. Maybe I'm missing something here???"

Now any of you who might be trying to get this to work as well please let me know if I am missing something here. :oops:

Jerry Raia
09-26-2003, 03:06 AM
Well here is the final word on this subject:

"Yes, I have to tell you that you are missing a couple major points:

- of course you will not be able to paste your text into hand-written portion of the note. Handwritten part is what it is called - hand written. Text and graphics - handwriting - are two different formats of data, you simply can not fuse them. At least not in PhatPad.

- and PhatPad in NOT a Note taking software - we have HPC Notes for that, 4 different Editions. http://www.phatware.com/hpcnotes/index.html Therefore, Note with text only and without any graphics would not be saved.

It may help if you think of PhatPad as a ScratchPad rather than, let say, Outlook Notes. I am sorry if this is a disappointment, but this small piece of software can actually be very helpful - if you take advantage of it's abilities rather than looking for it's limitations.

Regards,
Phatware Techsupport"

Jereboam
09-26-2003, 10:56 AM
I think that's an appalling reply.

Rather than listening to customer feedback, they have gone on the defensive. No good.

J'bm

terrypin
09-26-2003, 02:29 PM
I think that's an appalling reply.

Rather than listening to customer feedback, they have gone on the defensive. No good.

J'bm

Me too. And I don't accept their central point either. If they provide text in a file, as they do, then it should benefit from the familiar text facilities - like cut & paste.

Newcomer to PPC, Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Jerry Raia
09-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Yeah it is a bit weak.