View Full Version : Norton Antivirus slows Activesync transfer speeds! Solved!

netnem
09-23-2003, 03:41 AM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16795&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

See this article for the problem I had, which im sure some others have had.

It seems that Norton's Realtime file scanning in Norton Antivirus Corporate 7.6 slows activesync speeds drastically. By temporarily disabling "File system realtime protection" solves the problem. I was originally upset that my transfer speeds were sooo slow with my Ipaq 2215, especially reading about how "fast" it was by other users. I eventually got it fixed by a system restore, but i never found the problem. I started having slow speeds again, and I didn't know what else to do except do another system restore. I did, and it worked fine. As soon as I installed norton again, it slowed drastically. I disabled realtime protection, and it is now blazingly fast.

So basically if you are running realtime file protection while syncing files, try turning it off. You may see a speed boost.

Mark_Venture
09-24-2003, 03:23 AM
Does NAV only slow down USB transferes? or does it slow WiFi too?

netnem
09-26-2003, 08:11 AM
It seems to only affect the download/transfer speeds. I have a CF wifi card, and it doesnt even use Activesync to get on the internet. As far as "downloading" files via activesync thru wifi, Norton does NOT effect it at all. Wifi sync speeds are actually quite a bit faster than the cradle [with norton OFF of couse].

Although it IS affected when using a bluetooth dongle. I know this for a fact, as I was so disappointed with the speeds of my dongle that i took it back [before I knew that norton was causing problems]. I plan to get another one soon, but I [am assuming] will have to disable Norton's realtime file sharing to get "normal" BT transfer speeds.

I don't know why Norton affects the cradle and the Bluetooth, and not the wifi in ANY way. But It does. Can anyone else verify that Norton Corporate 7.6 effects BT and Cradle sync speeds and NOT wifi?