View Full Version : Are you having a file Download problem with PPC

24va
09-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Sometimes when attempting to download a file/cab using my PPC, I get an IE screen with gibberish instead of the “Save to” prompt; if you allow the gibberish screen to continue to load until the IE loading symbol stops you can still retrieve your DL. Go to your temp internet files and find the downloaded file it will be in one of your temp files, move the file to the desired location and execute the file/cab.

Example:
With your PPC go to http://people.freenet.de/FreeCabs/Games.htm
Click Patience for arm processor

I get the gibberish screen at this point, don't know why but this has happened to me with other sites in the past.

Dave Beauvais
09-22-2003, 06:52 PM
This is usually because the MIME type for the file on the server is setup incorrectly or not at all. This is common for Windows Media Audio and Video files. Internet Explorer on the desktop goes against defined standards and totally ignores the MIME type reported by the server, chosing instead to look at the file extension. Many other browsers -- including Pocket IE -- do honor the MIME type the server reports, and handles the file accordingly. Undefined MIME types are generally handled as plain text, which is why the browser displays the file instead of downloading it.

This sucks for Pocket IE since there's no "Save file as..." link on the tap-and-hold context menu.

--Dave

24va
09-22-2003, 07:36 PM
Well now I know why it does it. ;)

But at least this is a work around, I WAS able to retrieve the cab file from the temp folder and install the program :D