View Full Version : need some suggestions for buying a ipaq 1945 or 1935?

oki89
09-22-2003, 08:35 AM
I am planning to buy a PDA between 1945 and 1935 since both of them are now offering a good price for me, $210 on 1945 and $138 on 1935.Reading some threads and reviews in this forum and internet, I get some helpful information. however, it is not enough to make a decision. hopefully, someone can help me decide which one i shall pick up.

my purpose of buying a PDA
since I am a college student, I mainly use the pda for setting up the semister plan and classes schedule, organizing friends' contact info, taking notes in classes or libaries and listening MP3 (or radio if no extra purchase make). for the apps, I will install some dictionaries, map softwares, useful software for students , some small&funny game for the break(no hard games) . also, some less important function I may add later, such wifi wireless access, which is available everywhere in the campus, or GPS if there is a very very hot deal around(actually, it may be unnecessary). planning to own the PDA one or one and half year depend on when I graduate, then I may pass it to my families or sell it.

the difference of 1945 and 1935(if i am not right, please correct me)
1. bluetooth on 1945
it really a useless function. I ever or may never, at least in the period i own this pda, purchase or own a bluetooth item since it is expensive and wifi is becoming more popular and is cheaper. furthermore, i heard the bluestooth will shorten the battery life. therefore, if it is possible, I will get rid of this function.

2.cpu: samsung 1945- 266MHz vs 203 MHz --1935
I have no idea about this issuse. however, on another thread, people mentioned for most of the thing, it won't have any difference.

3.14 MB iPAQ File Store on 1945 vs non on 1935
if file store only use for backup, it may not very important for me. but i also want ot know if I just take the battery off, will i lose the infomation in the PDA? some people mention it also can be use as a internal sd card, which can be installed apps or stored some files. any comment for my case?

4.built-in rom 32M on 1945 vs 16M on 1935
is it the thing just like the desktop's ram? if yes, how this affect to my needs or every day use?does it matter?

5.more software vs less software
it may be, but I can add later. right?

6. handwriting recognition ?
I compared this two in CircuitCity.com , it showed 1935 did n't have the handwritting rcognition. actually,I don't believe that! how come a pda doesn't have handwritting recognition! someone can tell the truth?if this is true, I have to buy the 1945.

ok, all above is my research. in addition, I want to know if I can reinstall the OS or update the hardware of the pda like people usually do for their desktops. if so, some1 can give me a link or site that can help me improve my knowledge on that issus.

now, please help me with ur experience and knowledge. I appreciate it. thanks :D

TopDog
09-22-2003, 11:53 AM
6. handwriting recognition ?
I compared this two in CircuitCity.com , it showed 1935 did n't have the handwritting rcognition. actually,I don't believe that! how come a pda doesn't have handwritting recognition! someone can tell the truth?if this is true, I have to buy the 1945. That is bulls**t... you have "character recognizer" on any Pocket PC.

What I see at the one and only thing you need to worry about, is wether you need/want bluetooth!?

You don't have to have the bluetooth turned on all the time, I keep it mostly turned off, just click on the bluetooth-icon and it's on when I need to connect to something.

So, you don't see the chance of getting a bluetooth mobile? Or a new laptop with bluetooth? Or a small bluetooth-dongle to connect to any USB to get wireless access?

I think you will regret not buying bluetooth if you ever get the chance of using it.

Another thing to think about is secondhand price. You may want to sell this machine one day, and you'll get much more for it if you choose the one with bluetooth...

PetiteFlower
09-22-2003, 01:39 PM
PDA RAM is not like desktop RAM, it's more like a combination of desktop RAM and hard drive. It's where you store all your data and programs. And yes, if you remove or drain the battery, you will lose all your data, so backing up to your PC or a storage card is vital.

But the ROM is different still, ROM is where the "file store" is, and it is not erased if the battery is drained. Rom is where the OS lives. Having twice as much ROM means that you get the full version of the OS instead of the "lite" version, and there's still room left for the file store.

As for updating hardware, not really. There is a company called PPCTechs who can add more RAM to most PDAs, but that's about it as far as hardware upgrades go, you can't change the processor or anything like that. Upgrading the OS may or may not be possible, that will be entirely up to HP whether they decide to offer and upgrade when the next version of the OS comes out. HP has traditionally been good about that but it's still a question. There should be no need to reinstall the existing OS though once you have it. The equivalent I guess is the "hard reset" which erases all data in RAM and returns the PDA back to its "factory configuration".