View Full Version : what do you guys use bluetooth for?

kigling
09-22-2003, 07:07 AM
hi guys,
i have a 3970. have not found any use for bluetooth yet...
can you guys let me know how/what you guys use bluetooth for?

thanks

WillyG
09-22-2003, 08:01 AM
I use it for syncronizing contacts between my mobile phone and (Pocket)Outlook, to connect to internet using GPRS or normal RAS (via mobile), to connect to my workplace using RAS (via mobile). I use the my PocketPC to write SMS-messages and send them trough the air to the celular, who handles the actual sending on the operators net.
At home for syncing with my computer, browsing the net from the coatch (trough internet connection charing on one of my PC's (on 24/7), and listen to my MP3 connection (earphones on the balkony).

kigling
09-22-2003, 08:59 AM
hey
thats cool...
how do all that with the mobile?
last i tried linking a bluetooth phone and my 3970, i could not seem to do anything at all...
do i need a special program for all this functions?

LazyDonkey
09-22-2003, 09:18 AM
Not quite as advanced as the guy above, but I use bluetooth to sync my PDA with my home PC (cradle is connected to my work PC). Its not blisteringly fast and it drops the connection now and again - but it beats buying a new cradle.

You can also pair your phone and PDA, set up a dial up connection and then pick up email / surf the web (slowly) without removing your phone from your pocket.

Lastly I use bluetooth to connect my Sony Ericsson T610 to my home PC and sync calendar and contacts onto that. I've got it set up so that I assign a contact to the Phone category and it copies it accross to my phone.

It also means that I can take a note of somones number when I'm out and it gets added to my outlook / PPC contacts when I get back.

Really, really useful and as the software is free with teh phone, the only cost is the Bluetooth Dongle - which start at about £40 in the Uk. (www.expansys.com)

Oh and then there is my bluetooth headet, but thats another post entirely!

freitasm
09-22-2003, 10:27 AM
I use for lots of things. I have a H3970 and used Bluetooth to connect to the internet using a mobile phone (GPRS) and to connect to my home LAN and access the internet from there.

I use it for ActiveSync as well. And other things - I have eight Bluetooth devices at home (two mobile phones Nokia 3650, Sony Ericsson P800) two Bluetooth dongles (laptop and desktop), one Bluetooth LAN Access Point, the Pocket PC, and two headset (Jabra and Ericsson).

I use these things between then, where possible.

For example I sync my Pocket PC to my desktop and from there to my P800. And so on...

kigling
09-23-2003, 12:53 AM
thanks guys,
again im curious, do i need any program besides the ones loaded in during installation of PPC2002?
if i do where/what are these programs?
any place i can read about how to do all these?

thanks

freitasm
09-23-2003, 07:11 AM
You should be able to do most of these things with the software in your Pocket PC, plus of course a Bluetooth dongle for a laptop/desktop or a Bluetooth mobile phone.

Have a look here (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449) for guides, and have a look around the site after this.

Mitchybums
09-23-2003, 03:01 PM
I got a USB dongle in one machine, and use the bluetooth connection for lan and internet access. Right now I am using a 30 ft usb extension cable on it to be able to use the internet outside and inside, but still figuring out if a bluetooth accesspoint would improve the range (or something else to improve range)
If someone knows how to get the bluetooth signal amplified enough so I dont have to move the dongle everytime, I would be a happy camper.

Bluetooth is great, but still wondering if wifi would have been better for my use. No way back now, so any tweaks or improvement idea's are welcome.

maximus
09-25-2003, 03:10 AM
Bluetooth earset ! :mrgreen:

I dont know, but I dislike the sight of people wearing bluetooth earset while walking on malls/department stores/streets, I mean, putting the earset when talking on the phone is OK, but leaving the earset dangling on your ear the whole time is an overkill.

jgahr
09-25-2003, 03:29 AM
I had been syncing to my desktop until I got WiFi, now I just use BT for my GPS, which is really nice not to have a lot of wires getting in the way. :mrgreen:

hollis_f
09-25-2003, 07:42 AM
I just couldn't without BT for two purposes nowadays. Like jgahr I use a BT GPS and couldn't go back to the snakes nest of wires that used to live on my dashboard. I'm also hooked on accessing my emails (or, sometimes, the Web) without having to dig out my phone.