View Full Version : Repligo Content

smileyguy
09-22-2003, 06:01 AM
Does anyone know where I can download content for the Repligo Viewer. I know I can buy the converter and do it myself, but was just wondering if someone has taken the time to make their collection available.

Dave Beauvais
09-22-2003, 08:10 AM
I've been making a RepliGo version of the reviews that I write for this site, but the simple truth is that unfortunately, RepliGo just isn't that popular yet. I suspect it will be quite some time before we start to see content available in anywhere near the quantity of, say, Adobe Acrobat files. I use RepliGo almost everyday for something, but I always have to create the files myself.

--Dave

terrypin
09-22-2003, 11:48 AM
I use RepliGo almost everyday for something, but I always have to create the files myself.

--Dave

What method do you use for creation please? I've this morning re-installed Repligo (trial), this time without the Office Integration option. Last time I seemed to get some sort of conflict with the Add-In which Repligo placed in Word 2000. So far I haven't tried creation again, but hope I'll get the hang...

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

dh
09-22-2003, 01:28 PM
I use RepliGo almost everyday for something, but I always have to create the files myself.

--Dave

What method do you use for creation please? I've this morning re-installed Repligo (trial), this time without the Office Integration option. Last time I seemed to get some sort of conflict with the Add-In which Repligo placed in Word 2000. So far I haven't tried creation again, but hope I'll get the hang...
I have tended to get better results if I don't install the Office Integration. I just print to Repligo.

There are some posts on this issue over at the Repligo forum in the Cerience website. www.cerience.com

Brad Adrian
09-22-2003, 03:17 PM
I have tended to get better results if I don't install the Office Integration. I just print to Repligo.
Definitely. The Office integration works well for some situations, but I've found that printing to the Repligo driver works well all the time.

terrypin
09-23-2003, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the follow-ups.

Re my earlier post, that 'trial' didn't work (presumably because I'd finished a previous trial a week or so ago), so I'm now a registered user!

Yes, using the Print route seems the way to go. Frankly, even disregarding the problems I had which apparently implicated it, I'm not clear why Repligo offer 'Office Integration'. For the price of a little extra complexity (those 'COM Add-ins'), it just seems to add a tool icon to Word, Excel, etc. So that's one click instead of two (Print>Repligo) to get same result? Or have I missed something fundamental?

The first few files I created gave mixed results. My large TXT looked fine. But my few trial HTM were all 'cut off' on the right. I need to repeat that hasty exercise more carefully, but can anyone please point me to likely cause please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

ignar
09-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Set the document margin to 0 might help.

I'm very happy with RepliGo. I converted many pdf documents to rgo format and they are in much small size and load quickly. Acrobat has all the bells and whistles, but most of time, I just want to read some documents, and Repligo is way faster and more portable.

terrypin
09-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Set the document margin to 0 might help.

I'm very happy with RepliGo. I converted many pdf documents to rgo format and they are in much small size and load quickly. Acrobat has all the bells and whistles, but most of time, I just want to read some documents, and Repligo is way faster and more portable.

Thanks - that did it!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

terrypin
09-25-2003, 11:09 AM
Changing topic, after a couple of days with Repligo I like it a lot, but was very surprised there's no SEARCH feature. Scouring a 200 page converted user guide for a particular keyword is pretty tedious.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

upplepop
09-25-2003, 03:40 PM
after a couple of days with Repligo I like it a lot, but was very surprised there's no SEARCH feature.

Yeah, the fact that it doesn't have the search feature is the one disadvantage it has over PDFs. :(
I have both Acrobat and Repligo on my computer and the only reason I use PDFs on my PPC is if I believe I might have to search the document. Hopefully Repligo will be able to do this in future revisions.
Anyone know if they're working on this?

terrypin
09-25-2003, 06:09 PM
after a couple of days with Repligo I like it a lot, but was very surprised there's no SEARCH feature.

Anyone know if they're working on this?

Yes. Here's an extract from the prompt reply I received to my email:

"Thanks for contacting support. You'll be happy to learn that a text search
feature will be available in our upcoming November release. We are in the
testing phase now, and it really adds a whole other level of functionality
to the program.

RepliGo 2.0 will also feature bookmarks, notes and annotation creation, text selecting and highlighting, and other features. There will be a small
upgrade fee to registered users."

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Godsongz
09-25-2003, 06:40 PM
Oh too cool! Repligo has already replaced a lot of paper that I don't need to carry around anymore, but now I'll be able to search it? Awesome.

DimensionZero
09-26-2003, 12:24 AM
I'm curious, why would one choose to use RepliGo over PDFs or even Word docs?

What's the advantage?

Dave Beauvais
09-26-2003, 12:52 AM
Advantages Speed. The RepliGo viewers are orders of magnitude faster than Acrobat Reader, even on PCs. Opening a RepliGo document in the Windows RepliGo Viewer is nearly instantaneous. Acrobat Reader takes at least five seconds or so to load and the full Acrobat is significantly slower. Acrobat Reader on the Pocket PC is simply unbelievably slow. It loads slowly, opens documents slowly, and navigates through pages slowly. Acrobat -- on all platforms -- is a dog.

Multiple mobile platforms. RepliGo Viewers exist for Pocket PC, Palm, Windows desktops, MS Smartphone, and another brand of smartphone whose name escapes me at the moment. (I'm posting from my PPC right now and don't feel like loading the RepliGo page right now. Last I checked, Cerience is also developing a Mac version.

Compact files. RepliGo files are very compact. For the last two reviews I've written for PPC Thoughts, the Word document I created the RepliGo file from was nearly three times the size of the RepliGo file, even if I compressed the images in it. An Acrobat version of the same file was twice the size.That's what I came up with off the top of my head.

--Dave

smileyguy
10-09-2003, 08:11 PM
This duscussion is all well and good, but I still don't know of anyone offering content for Repligo.