View Full Version : 2 topics--musing about 4135, and using a PPC like a beginner.

Skoobouy
09-22-2003, 12:45 AM
First of all, I just want to ramble about what great news the 4135 is.

OK, so we know it's a 1900-sized iPaq with WiFi, Bluetooth, a 1250 mAh battery, a 3.5mm headphone jack, a 400MHz XScale, WM2k3, and (possibly) a no-yellow-issue screen. For $450--$50 more than the iPaq 2210, and you don't even have to forfeit the small size.

Could anyone have imagined such a thing three years ago? Yikes.

OK, that aside, I have a serious question: many of you have probably encouraged a friend to buy a PPC, or bought one as a gift. Or perhaps you do maintenance for PPC deployment at a company. Anyway, what kinds of things happen to PPCs in the hands of beginners after a month?

What I'm really getting at is, supposing I used a PPC the way it was supposed to be used (no closing apps, etc.) what might I expect to happen? Messed up registry? Clogged memory? Bloated temp folder? Orphan *.dlls? What are the most common problems you see with beginners' PPCs, and do you think PPCs have become any better towards the end of avoiding these problems?

ledpocket
09-22-2003, 01:30 AM
My dad has my old hp jornada 568. I showed him how to do a soft reset when he got it (about a year ago).

He was recently complaining about ms reader slowing down, and I asked him if soft reseting helped.

He said "what's that"

He uses the 568 for pim and ebooks, and it went a year without a soft reset. He definitely would have complained if he was having any problems.(former palm guy that I convinced to switch)

SandersP
09-22-2003, 04:23 AM
The mio 558 is about to come out in US too.

it's priced at $499 or so. Dualslots and dual wireless. not bad.