View Full Version : Synching Two Ipaqs

jutae
09-21-2003, 10:50 PM
I have a 3955 and a 2210 that I synch on the same pc. I have some files that I synch on both Ipaqs. I was wondering if there is a way have the files stored in one location (instead of both folders) AND GET THEM BOTH TO SYNCH THE FILES?

delfuhd
09-22-2003, 01:27 AM
I think the only logical way to do that is to name both devices the same thing, that way they, logically, would sync ot the same folder, but I'm not sure that ActiveSync would allow two different devices of the same name to sync as one. One second, I'll try it with my 3850 and 2210..

delfuhd
09-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Nope, I'm afraid that it doesn't work. I don't think it's possible, you'll have to manually transfer changed files to the different folders and sync the iPAQs seperatley... I was kind of thinking the same thing ever since I got my 2210 and used my 3850 for backup purposes...
Let me know if anyone else comes up with something different that may make this work, good luck!

Janak Parekh
09-22-2003, 01:47 AM
Don't name them the same thing. Instead, go into the Registry and look up this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services\Partners. You should have one entry for each device in there. Within each entry, there's Services\Synchronization, and in that there's a String value called "Briefcase Path". You could theoretically change one to match the other. Make sure to add the trailing "\".

Also, make sure to do a backup. There is every possibility ActiveSync will get confused. To be conservative, I'd suggest you turn off File Synchronization for the "second" Pocket PC, then make this change on that second one's Briefcase Path, then turn it back on and let it sync the files for the first time.

No guarantees this will work at all, but it sounds like the only practical way to do it, short of getting a third-party tool like MightySync (http://www.mydocsunlimited.com/html/mightysync.html), which actually sounds better.

--janak

Chris Spera
09-22-2003, 01:47 AM
I have 4 PDA's and I can tell you that you cannot name 2 different PPC's with the same name. ActiveSync sees them as different devices no matter what you do. I've bumped into this problem when hard resetting a device, and the Partnership isn't deleted properly by AS.

The best way to take care of this is to use a folder syncing program on your desktop (like CopyTo or FolderMatch), and using it to sync the files on your desktop.

From my seven years of Pocket PC experience, this is the only solution available. I'd love someone to prove me wrong, though... Anyone have successing doing this??

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Steven Cedrone
09-22-2003, 12:48 PM
You know, this may be stupid, but I can't test it...

1) Rename the Pocket PC "My Documents" folder on your PC that you no longer want to use, to xxx.old

2) Right click on the Pocket PC "My Documents" folder that you want to share between both Pocket PC's, choose "create shortcut"...

3) Rename shortcut to the name of the folder from step one...

Worth a shot...

Steve

Brad Adrian
09-22-2003, 03:23 PM
From my seven years of Pocket PC experience...
That's pretty cool, since the Pocket PC was launched in 2000. ;)

Chris Spera
09-22-2003, 03:33 PM
From my seven years of Pocket PC experience...
That's pretty cool, since the Pocket PC was launched in 2000. ;)

okokokok... get perticular on me. :roll:

I was actually referring to ALL of my Windows Powered PDA experience, including Pocket Sized PC's running Windows CE.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera