View Full Version : Lost Software - Need Help Recovering or Recommendations for New Purchase

shawnc
09-21-2003, 01:18 AM
I just installed the 2003 upgrade on my Axim. Prior to installing, I was instructed to created a "ROM Image?". I thought this would allow me to back up my after-market software, as well as my Today screen plug-in's. I assumed that after the upgrade was installed, I would be able to reinstall the software and plug-in's.

When I reinstalled the ROM Image, it replaced my upgrade with the previous 2002 version. This let me know that my understanding of the ROM backup was incorrect. No surprise there.

The three programs I would like to recover is an after-market calculator (I believe it was Omniware, or something like that), a dictionary (have no idea what it was called), and a battery/memory program indicator. I would also like to get the Today screen plug-in's, but they were freeware and I can get those without cost (though the effort will be a pain in the a*&.

If this stuff was backed up when I created the ROM image, can anyone advise on how to recover it? If not, I'm open to suggestions for a new calculator, dictionary, and today screen plug-in that allows me to display my tasks on the today screen as well as commonly used icons.

I really liked the look of the omniware(?) calulator, but probably need something with more financial (PV, NPV, FV, etc.) functions.

Also, it's been a while since I purchased new software for my PPC. I checked Handago and was very disappointed with their offerings. Are there other sites that have emerged as good alternatives to Handago. Freeware is nice, but I'm willing to pay, especially for the right calculator.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Paragon
09-21-2003, 02:02 AM
Shawn

If you downloaded the applications, and loaded them onto your PPC from your desktop they should still be there. If you are back up and running again with a partnership then connect to Activesync . Then in the Activesync window on you desktop go to tools/add remove programs, and you should see a list of previously installed software, just check the ones you want and you should be good to go.

shawnc
09-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Paragon,

Thanx for the tip. That WOULD have worked had I not skipped the part about backing up to Activesync prior to running the upgrade :oops: . Oh well, painful lesson learned.

I'm going to contact Omnisolve to see if I have to repurchase. I'm hoping that since I already paid for it, that they will allow me to simply pay a nominal fee. Especially since this is now selling for $24.95 (OUCH!). Why is PPC software so d&*n expensive? I saw another financial calculator (can't remember the name) for over $50. I'm all for people getting paid for their work, but it's going to be tough to expand the market with prices like that.

UPDATE - I just contacted Omnisolve and they gave me an activation code for the new trial version I just downloaded. They had me in the system as a customer and did not give me a hassle at all. I guess you get what you pay for. If anyone is on the fence about purchasing a calculator for their PPC, I would STRONGLY suggest that they consider Omnisolve!

PetiteFlower
09-22-2003, 06:43 PM
You couldn't restore a backup made under 2002 after upgrading to 2003 anyway. You will just have to reinstall all your programs. The best way to back up your PIM stuff is just to make sure you are synced with Outlook before upgrading.

disconnected
09-22-2003, 07:29 PM
But, as Paragon said, if the programs were originally installed from the desktop, then, when you synch, if you click on tools, add/remove programs it should still bring up the list of all the previously installed programs, even if you've never done a backup.