View Full Version : hp 'puffy' ipaq

dave3
09-19-2003, 08:31 PM
Ok,
Now I did get a replacement unit. however the first one had 2 probs so I sent back.

The second one had one big prob. The free extended battery they sent got stuck in there good. It felt GLUED in place. So I sent back. Now the rep tells me she can get it out just as easy as pie. HP engineers said that if the battery is handled rough it will 'puff' up and get stuck.

So the question is: has ANYONE had their battery stuck in like glue only to be able to easily release it a few days later???? This is totally confusing to me and I am wondering if they are just trying to get out of sending me another unit.

Dave Beauvais
09-20-2003, 12:24 AM
I don't buy that. If the battery is expanding enough that it becomes wedged in place because its shape changed slightly, my opinion is that something is defective and should be replaced. I've never had a good battery swell at all. (Sometimes old alkaline cells will swell a bit on the ends or the side, and usually start leaking soon after.

If anyone else has seen this behavior with a normal battery as part of its regular operation, please let us know.

--Dave

dave3
09-20-2003, 02:58 AM
Dave,
they will replace the battery just not the ipaq. Somehow they claimed the battery gets puffed up when damaged. Yet somehow it got depuffed by the time it got shipped back to them. I don't get it.

cvt_
09-20-2003, 10:33 AM
My mobile phone, with the same style battery "puffed up" once, the reason was overcharging, not damage, and it did go down enough to remove after about a day and a half, but was still very distorted from shape...

I doubt thered be a fault with the ipaq, just the battery, unless of course it happens again with a replaced battery.

dave3
09-20-2003, 06:41 PM
CVT,
The thing is...is that it got stuck in there like glue BEFORE I even charged it once. Besides, I thought the ipaqs had built in protection circuitry to limit overcharging?