View Full Version : Is anyone tempted by this ?

Shaun Stuart
09-19-2003, 12:47 PM
http://www.tapwave.com/product/index.asp

While I love my new HP2215 I cant help feeling that the new 2003 O/S is not enough on its own. I want more hardware innovation. I really like the idea of the new Palm Zodiac from tapwave and I am tempted to crossover. Does anyone know if there are any plans to produce a similar device running the pocket pc os ?

apeguero
09-19-2003, 01:00 PM
I tried the crossover by buying a Tungsten C and I hated it. No multi-tasking. Multimedia was not easy. Screen too small.

This Zodiac looks like a gaming device first and PDA second though.

Shaun Stuart
09-19-2003, 01:03 PM
The hardware specs look quite impressive though

Hardware Specifications

Memory: Zodiac1 = 32MB*
Zodiac2 = 128MB*
* 12MB reserved for system use.

Processor:
Motorola® i.MX1™ ARM9 processor (200 MHz)

Graphics
Accelerator:

ATI® Imageon™ W4200 graphics accelerator (with 8MB dedicated SDRAM).

Display:
3.8 inch transflective display
480 x 320 (half VGA), 16-bit color backlit display (65,536 colors)
Portrait and landscape display capabilities
Digitizer for enhanced interactive game play, navigation and text input.

Sound:
Yamaha® audio component and stereo speakers
Standard 3.5mm stereo headphone plug
Earbud-style headphones included
Support for select third-party portable speakers

Vibration:
Supports silent notification and interactive game play.

Controls:
Variable pressure analog controller (joystick)
2 triggers, 4 programmable action buttons, 1 special function button,
1 home button, 1 power button, and 1 Bluetooth button.

Expandability:
Dual expansion slots for MultiMediaCards, Secure Digital (SD) cards
and SDIO cards, including digital cameras and more.*
Zodiac Connector for additional peripherals.
* Slot #1: supports MultiMediaCards, Secure Digital Cards (SD).
Slot #2: supports MultiMediaCards, Secure Digital Cards (SD), and
SDIO cards.

Wireless
Connectivity:

Built-in Bluetooth radio with dedicated activation button.
Ideal for multiplayer wireless gaming, sharing information and connectivity to other compatible Bluetooth enabled devices.

PC Desktop
Connectivity:

USB Cable
USB Cradle (sold separately)

Cover:
Protective Flip Cover

Wrist Strap:
Convenient strap

Battery:
High-capacity Rechargeable Lithium Batteries – 1540 mAh

Power Supply:
AC Adapter / Battery Charger (120 volt AC, 60 Hz)
International connectivity kit (sold separately)

Size/Weight
5.6” (143mm) x 3.1” (79mm) x .55” (14mm) / 6.3 ounces

Color
Zodiac1 - Slate Gray
Zodiac2 - Charcoal Gray

seidler
09-19-2003, 01:05 PM
It is good, but it is Palm. I don't want to go back to Palm. Give me this thing as Pocket PC or with Linux, and I'm happy to take it.

:| hmm but at $299 and $399 ... it is a good offer :roll:

Stefan

seidler
09-19-2003, 01:08 PM
oh, and: shouldn't this post be in "THE COMPETIITION"?

Shaun Stuart
09-19-2003, 01:54 PM
oh, and: shouldn't this post be in "THE COMPETIITION"?

Tried that but got a message saying only adminstrators can post in the "competition" section.

Shaun Stuart
09-19-2003, 02:10 PM
It is good, but it is Palm. I don't want to go back to Palm. Give me this thing as Pocket PC or with Linux, and I'm happy to take it.

:| hmm but at $299 and $399 ... it is a good offer :roll:

Stefan

I know its a Palm but it is a Palm with;

128 mb memory
Stereo Speakers
Graphics Acelerator
3.8 inch 480x320 screen with BOTH portrait and landscape capabilites (the web site suggests you can switch between the two)
Vibration notification and interactive gameplay
Analog joystick
2 triggers and 8 other buttons
Bluetooth
Two SD expansions slots (Slot 2 supports SDIO)
Protective flip cover
Wrist strap.
1540 mAh high capacity battery

IMO 18 months ago there was no Palm device that could compete with the superior Pocket PC hardware - Do you know of many Pocket PCs that can compete with this ?

All for $399

seidler
09-19-2003, 02:33 PM
Stereo Speakers
Graphics Acelerator
Vibration notification and interactive gameplay
Analog joystick
2 triggers and 8 other buttons

I personallt don't use my Pocket PC to play, and I used my Palm only to play strategy games. Action is just not something I want to see on a screen smaller than 17 inch.

3.8 inch 480x320 screen with BOTH portrait and landscape capabilites (the web site suggests you can switch between the two)

And who will provide applications for this? Landscape applications exist for the Pocket PC, too.

Bluetooth
Two SD expansions slots (Slot 2 supports SDIO)

and no CF. Where will you get drivers for SDIO-cards and their "Palm-based" OS?

IMO 18 months ago there was no Palm device that could compete with the superior Pocket PC hardware - Do you know of many Pocket PCs that can compete with this ?

All for $399
I don't complain about that it wasn't a good device. It's only: no multitasking, less choice of high-quality software (I know there is more software for the Palm, but it's not all better!) and a lot of Palm application will just display in b/w, not use the full resolution or will just be not compatible.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad thing, it is definitely a step in the right direction but at the moment the Palms are just not so far. MS made a good effort to start a whole new series of handhelds - with color, sound, expansion slots. Palm just is an old technology trying to keep up with the hardware evolution. It will happen to the Pocket PC as well (mention 240x320 resolution e.g.) but at the moment WinCE is going stronger than Palm OS.

Just my prejudices :?

Stefan

Shaun Stuart
09-19-2003, 02:56 PM
seidler - I know that you were not complaining it was a bad device and I more than understand your feeling on the Palm O/S - I too prefer Pocket PC O/S by far.

The point I was making was that of all the new PDAs released in the last 12 months I feel devices running the Palm OS are the ones that have made a huge leaps in design while Pocket PCs are mainly slight variations on the original Jornadas, ipaqs or Casios - I know Palm had to do this to compete and Yes Pocket PCs have improved too with WI-FI and bluetooth, dual expansion slots etc but they are not radical changes.

Tapwave are not the only company to release interesting devices running Palm, Sony have released some cool looking devices too.

I wonder what impact this has on newbies coming in off the street to purchase a PDA. A lot of people new to PDAs dont understand the differences in O/S they are attracted initially to the design
When you put the new pocket pcs next to some of the new Palm devices such as the tapwave or the new sony ux-50 which look more appealing ?

KH
09-19-2003, 10:34 PM
I am as big a Pocket PC evangelist as you are going to find, but if I wanted an entertainment oriented product AND I was not a Pocket PC Bigot this would look fantastic! My guess is that something like this would appeal to a large market of folks that want gameboy grown up, or the next big thing after iPODs and the like.

This isn't being sold as a PDA, but as a 'Mobile Entertainment Console' - you can have fun by yourself or 'Go Wireless - compete with up to 8 players'. I think this is a very clever product. I may think the operating system is the high-order bit, but I am not the target buyer they are wooing with this sort of ad and product.

Shaun Stuart
09-19-2003, 11:47 PM
What I find clever about this is that as a game focused PDA it is bound to attract the younger or first time PDA users.

I am not sure how strong brand loyalty is in the PDA world but a lot of new PDA users are going to look at this. If they start with a palm device I think the chances are high that they will stick to what they know.

KH
09-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Folks that buy this may be much more focused on the functionality they seek than the OS and UI and what they may be able to run someday!

ignar
09-20-2003, 03:50 PM
Processor:

How fast is this processor? Can someone compare this to what Tungsten 2 or Tungsten C are using?

Scott R
09-20-2003, 09:11 PM
I don't really have a choice in the matter, anymore. I have to buy one. Now I'm just trying to decide which one to get. I'd prefer the darker colored one, but would rather save $100 and just have 32MB on-board.

Scott

JustinGTP
09-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Well, Shaun,

You dont have to convice us to buy one, afterall we are on a POCKET PC forum, we love our PPCs. You have to convince yourself if you want or need one, and then go and get one! Then you can go and share all of your excitement on a new TapWave forum.

:D

Justin.

SandersP
09-20-2003, 11:21 PM
Processor:

How fast is this processor? Can someone compare this to what Tungsten 2 or Tungsten C are using?

Somewhere between a 200 and 300mHz Xscale. T|C has much faster benchmark.