View Full Version : Top-of-the-line briefcase needed.

ricksfiona
09-18-2003, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking about buying a new briefcase that would be as close to perfect as possible.

My current briefcase is a leather Hartmann and probably their first designs for a laptop computer. In theory their design was clever, but pratically it didn't work. Their combination lock for the back doesn't work very well. I can still use the bag and it's definitely usable, but I think I may need an upgrade. It's been about 5 years and probably still has another 5 years if I get the lock fixed.

What I'm looking for is a leather briefcase in beautiful black leather. Needs to have compartments for laptop, pens and cell phone. Extra points for a PDA compartment/holder. One or two inside compartments for books, notepads and miscellaneous trinkets. I'd prefer no outside compartments since anything you put in there has the potential of getting wet when it rains. A small combination lock on the latch would be nice. The lock doesn't prevent someone from walking away with my bag, but it's a deterrent for snoops.

Anyone got some recommendations?

dh
09-18-2003, 06:29 PM
You might want to check out the current Hartmann cases. I've had mine a few years now and it looks better as it gets older. (Mine is the tan colored one). Mine has zips not locks.

I lost the laptop inner bag so now I use the Eagle Creek laptop bag inside it. It's nice enough to use on it's own if you need to travel really light with your laptop.

The only thing is, mine might be a bit casual if you need a more formal looking case.

ricksfiona
09-18-2003, 06:34 PM
You might want to check out the current Hartmann cases. I've had mine a few years now and it looks better as it gets older. (Mine is the tan colored one). Mine has zips not locks.

I lost the laptop inner bag so now I use the Eagle Creek laptop bag inside it. It's nice enough to use on it's own if you need to travel really light with your laptop.

The only thing is, mine might be a bit casual if you need a more formal looking case.
Thanks for the info. I took a look at Hartmann's new cases and I think they are too informal. My current bag cost me about $650 when I got it 5 years ago and it's definitely formal. It has an executive look to it rather than 'computer guy' look. Which I think most computer bags look like. If I can't find a replacement that knocks my current back off it's feet, then I'll just make too with what I have.

I also remember seeing an insert for bags that are not specifically designed for laptops. The insert is cyclindrical foam/inner nylon/outer that sits on the bottom of the bag. Prevents devices from hitting the floor when you accidentally lower a case too quickly. Anyone know what I'm talking about?