View Full Version : PPC survival story....

bazza
09-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Yesterday I dropped my PPC. It happened as I was getting out of the car - 3 feet on to concrete. Hit the corner (record button) - no damage other than cosmetic (as far as I can tell)! :D

Got me thinking - some of you must have some great PPC survival stories!!!

Come on tell us - what is the worst thing that you have done to your PPC and have it survive?

:werenotworthy:

egads
09-18-2003, 02:34 PM
My kids were fighting over who would play Bubblets next and before I could get over there and grab my Casio EM500 out of their hands it flew across the room and bounced off of the fireplace.
:bangin:
After I cleaned of all of the blood and various bodyparts of the kids (just kidding, but they lost theit PPC privileges for some time !!!) I picked up the EM500 in its Vaja case and it fired right up. The Vaja case did not even have a scuff on it.

I'm not sure my Dell X5 would still be working after that...

seidler
09-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Argh! :oops: I dropped my lovely E-200 from about 1m20, and it had the Bluetooth card inserted (which sticks out a bit)! :roll:

Of course it fell exactly on the card :crazyeyes: I silently picked it up. and checked it. The card was nicely bent and the plastic was broken a bit :eek: Then the surprise: power switch. Pling! Blue light :) :roll: It works :D A bit of superglue holds the plastic parts together now, and the PocketPC itself was protected through my cheap "book-style" small leather case with hard paper inlets. :clap:

I won't try it again though, I think :mrgreen:

Stefan

Jon Westfall
09-18-2003, 03:17 PM
Ok, this is slightly off as its a laptop survival story that was the scariest moment of 2003.

I had my Compaq Evo on my bed (Oh the laziness wireless lan allows you). As I got up, it decided to take a dive. In a split second, time stopped, and I watched one of my babies falling (open lid - looking at me with a "how could you let this happen to me" look). It landed, of course, right on my cisco aironet 350 card that was inserted into my pcmcia slot.
I picked it up and gave it a good examination - and everything looked great! No cracks, damage, heck, even the cisco card worked!

Next day...

I'm packing up the laptop to go to school when I decided to take out the 350 card (I usually leave it in all the time).
I take it out and put the little placeholder inside - but it won't go in and stay in. As soon as I push it in, it pops out a bit. I put the cisco card in.. and windows detects it.. as soon as I release the pressure on it, it pops out. So I take the card out and start looking at the pcmcia slot. To my horror, as i turn the laptop slightly, parts of pcmcia slot come falling out in my hands. Uh oh...

So I called Compaq for service, told them my story, and the woman sounds very much like "Ha - you idiot - this is gonna cost you a zillion dollars cause warrenties don't cover drops". She put me on hold and came back with a very low voice saying "Sir... it appears your warrenty covers drops". HA - I knew I bought accidental drop protection for a reason.

So my baby went off to Texas for a day, and I resorted to using my backup system (A 486 32-meg Compaq notebook from 1995 - great contrast from my P4). I always tell new laptop owners that there will be a day when they drop their laptop - and they doubt me until it happens. For future laptop purchases - I swear by accidental drop protection!

As for my XDA, well, it slipped out of my hands just yesterday as I was getting out of my car - thankfully its proporta aluminum case protected it (that case is getting scratched quicker than I expected!).

rcobourn
09-18-2003, 06:33 PM
My 3870 took a swim in the pool one day 8O ... in it's PC Card sleeve (with Symbol Wireless Network card installed), Vaja case, with a Sandisk 128MB SD card inserted, and everything survived (after carefull disassembly and drying out) except the Symbol card. Nowadays, I definitely remember to remove my PPC before entering the pool area!