View Full Version : You've lost your PPC. Now what?

famousdavis
09-18-2003, 04:21 AM
At the encouragement of David at this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18066&start=20), let me pose this question:

Suppose you lose your PPC. Or it gets stolen. Or sat upon and squished. In one of a hundred ways, you all of a sudden are instantly without the PPC you enjoy so much.

Now what?

Specifically, do you have a plan in mind to replace your PPC quickly? And perhaps more importantly than the device -- what about your data? What's your gameplan for restoring your life to normal with a new PPC?

Do you take regular backups of your data...stored just on your storage card (which was inside your PPC, which was lost forever)?

Do you keep a recent backup of your data on your desktop? What do you do about the gap between your last backup and the day you lost your PPC?

Let's talk about it...

dean_shan
09-18-2003, 04:33 AM
I lost all my data a couple of times. I save docs to my sd card a lot of the time. My contacts are on my desktop so the biggest thing when I lose my data is re-installing all my apps. I don't do sd card back-ups I like to have the space on the card for stuff.

I have lost my data by having the battery come out when I drop it. :oops:

Oliver T
09-18-2003, 04:07 PM
My ipaq performs a complete backup every night. When I get into the office I stick the SD card with the backup on it into my sd cardreader and sync it to my desktop. Even if I would "loose" my ipaq on the way from home to the office I would have lost only one days data which is neglectible compared to loosing it all. As a second measure of safety everything that I put onto the sd is being encrypted via resco explorer encryption. A potential thief can only hard-reset my ipaq, reformat the sd and sell it on. At least he won't get my data and since I have a backup I won't loose my electronic life ;-)

Ciao,

Oliver

ignar
09-18-2003, 06:12 PM
I make a daily backup to CF card, but I make it a rule to save the most important data in the main memory, not in the memory card. The files in the main memory are synced to desktop when I dock my iPaq, and even in the case I lose iPaq, the data still can be restored from the desktop.

ctmagnus
09-20-2003, 10:44 PM
I don't so much fear losing the hardware as I fear losing the data. I do a daily backup as well, but If I lost the hardware, what would I restore the backup to?

bradolson
09-21-2003, 03:19 AM
I also backup daily to the PC (and monthly to CD). I'd be more concerned with what the thief would do with the data.

Brad

Xianfox
09-21-2003, 03:48 AM
More than just making backups, my concern is about protection of my data. I'm very interested to know what solutions others use.

I currently use the default PPC password system, and CodeWallet.

I'm interested in a better system lockout program that would ideally lock the entire system and scram both main memory and memory cards after X brute force attempts.

I honestly could care less if someone gets a free PPC off of me, I want my data safe.

Any links to comprehensive reviews?