View Full Version : How many times does your PPC freeze/crash?

eternity0
09-17-2003, 07:26 PM
I got a Toshiba e740 not too long ago and it's been freezing/crashing on me more than I would like.
Is this a common problem (it IS running a Microsoft OS)? Or is it just the s/w i'm running on my today screen??

I currently have Wisbar, tAgenda, OmegaOne Battery & Program bar and T-Day counter running on my today screen..

Sometimes it would just freeze up randomly. I've tried it freezing a few times when I try to dismiss an alarm.

This is not a good start using a PPC for the first time!

Dave Beauvais
09-17-2003, 07:48 PM
I voted 0-5. My iPAQ h5455 freezes maybe once per week at most. I generally soft reset once or twice a week to clear up memory leaks.

--Dave

petvas
09-17-2003, 10:09 PM
I have a 5555 iPaq and I am happy to say that it never crashed. Windows Mobile 2003 is great!!! :mrgreen:

rzanology
09-17-2003, 10:36 PM
3970 never crashed....2215 crashed 8 times a day for 3 weeks. Now its okay maybe twice a week it crashes...still gay though

spursdude
09-17-2003, 11:54 PM
I vote "never" with the Audiovox Maestro. I've said this quite a bit - I can't remember the last time it froze on me.

maximus
09-18-2003, 01:58 AM
I vote "never" with the Audiovox Maestro. I've said this quite a bit - I can't remember the last time it froze on me.

Same here on axim.

dh
09-18-2003, 04:04 AM
My Axim rarely freezes. The only time I generally have to soft reset is if I switch from pass through to WiFi Internet access. I then have to sometimes to get to connect.

I'm still using PPC2002 and everything is working perfectly.

famousdavis
09-18-2003, 04:25 AM
One bit of frustration I've had with my hp 1910 is an occasional freeze, which is cleared up with a soft reset (though, at the wrong instant, can lead to loss of data if I have a file open). From what I've read, the problem can occur when you have alerts turned on.

I've obviated this problem, though, but having Pocket Backup do a soft reset early in the morning after the daily backup of my PPC is finished. That appears to have greatly reduced the trouble with my 1910. I do still occassionally have problems, but it may only be once a week or more.

For this reason, I've likened my 1910 and the Pocket PC 2002 operating system to a Windows 98SE experience -- pretty okay, but not as good as I'd like it to be.

hardcoredummy
09-18-2003, 04:46 AM
Man, i must be pretty damn lucky. I've had my 1910 since Jan 03, and have only had maybe 5 freezes in all that time. And only 1 complete crash that caused a hard reset (happened just last week!).

dean_shan
09-18-2003, 06:19 AM
I have never had to do a hard reset at all.

Brad Adrian
09-18-2003, 06:53 AM
I love my 2215 and use it as my "main" Pocket PC, but I have to do a soft reset due to it not turning on when I press the power button about 5 times a day.

DimensionZero
09-18-2003, 08:19 AM
hehehe. well, mine's still fresh outta the box, kinda... since friday. so no resets yet... but you see. having said that, it's gonna freeze up on me and i'll prob'ly be resetting like a drunk monkey on prozac or something.

So I'm gonna go out now and find some big trees and knock on wood, and all you ther guys who've said that they've never had to reseet should do the same! :lol:

bazza
09-18-2003, 08:54 AM
I have to soft reset maybe once or twice a week. This is mainly if I crank it too high using Pocket Hackmaster. Occasionally, I have to reset when alerts are turned on as the screen freezes (switching on).

No hard resets so far ("touch wood").

:werenotworthy:

Janak Parekh
09-18-2003, 03:34 PM
I love my 2215 and use it as my "main" Pocket PC, but I have to do a soft reset due to it not turning on when I press the power button about 5 times a day.
Do you have the Stowaway driver installed? It is known to cause problems like this as it's not WM2003 compatible.

BTW, on my Pocket PCs, I've almost never had to do a hard reset in about 3 years of heavy use unless I installed some unstable app. I do soft-reset once a week or two.

--janak

disconnected
09-18-2003, 04:34 PM
My iPAQ 5555 either crashes or slows down dramaaaaatically about three or four times a week. Sometimes it's a bluetooth/Mapopolis thing, but sometimes it doesn't seem to have any identifiable cause -- not much open, not always the same app running.

famousdavis
09-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Man, i must be pretty damn lucky. I've had my 1910 since Jan 03, and have only had maybe 5 freezes in all that time. And only 1 complete crash that caused a hard reset (happened just last week!).

Well, I think I like my definition of "luck" better than yours! :wink: I've avoided having to do a hard reset altogether, although because of an ActiveX component corruption somewhere on my unit, I can't create a new Sprint DB database anymore -- not really a problem, since I no longer create databases using Sprint DB...I create them in Access and sync to my PPC. The makers of Sprint DB say the only way to correct this issue is to hard reset my PPC -- I'm not interested in trying that.

I wonder...do you use the alerts features on your 1910? That appears to be the culprit on the freezes.

M@
09-19-2003, 09:47 PM
I had to hard reset after uninstalling some programs :S

Thank god for backups...

buckyg
09-20-2003, 10:40 PM
I voted 0-5. My iPAQ 5455 usually doesn't crash or lock up, it's been awhile. But even after the ROM upgrade to fix the problem, I still occasionally have to soft-reset to activate wi-fi.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Even so, regular backups have saved my hide more than once.

WM2003 is on its way for me, am waiting to see how that does.