View Full Version : Any USB Hard Drives Operate On e755's Battery?

Len M.
09-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Does anyone know of a USB hard drive that I could use with an e755 that won't require an external battery pack? I'd prefer not to have to lug one more thing around (as Anypak's pictures show).

I'm using Anypak's (www.anypakdevices.com) USB driver and it works fine accessing a second CF card in USB card reader (though an SD card is accessed much, much slower than the native SD card slot in the e755). I've already tried one USB-powered hard drive (a Toshiba 5 GB PC Card drive in the USB card reader) but the driver reports an over-current condition.

Len Moskowitz

stevey500
09-19-2003, 12:34 PM
I don't think it is possible. The toshiba's battery does not output enough power. I use a hard drive on mine that is very simular to the anypak design. I just used a 6v cell phone rechargable battery and strapped it to the hard drive :D It works great for a about 3 hours then it runs dead.
Do you have pocket pc 2002 or 2003? thanks

Len M.
09-19-2003, 03:25 PM
We haven't found any USB hard drives that will operate on the Toshiba's battery, but we did finda few USB hard drives that come with their own internal rechargeable batteries. Some of them have slots for CF and SD cards too. They're commonly used to store digital camera's pictures in the field.

One of them is the X-Drive II.

cooldw57
10-16-2003, 08:52 PM
The USB Flashdrive should operate on Toshiba's battery, USB Harddrive simply consumes TOOO much power and you need a power cord for those device, same thing for Laptop with USB harddrive

BackFireWarrior
10-17-2003, 09:14 PM
MP3 Mass Storage Device has its own power, so you might wanna try those. Though they are more expensive, it also plays mp3. iRiver iHP-1xx.

cooldw57
10-21-2003, 09:59 AM
MP3 Mass Storage Device has its own power, so you might wanna try those. Though they are more expensive, it also plays mp3. iRiver iHP-1xx.
That's true, the ad saids those hdd mp3 player could play for up to 20 hours, I assume using those mp3 players as a harddrive should drain less powers than playing mp3s. But since Toshiba PPC Expansion pack only support USB 1.1, it might not be as fast as you expected... It would be great if someone that has those mp3 player could do an experiment and see if it works and how it performs. I'm also curious what kind of USB driver you'll need to install.