View Full Version : eBook Resources

Kati Compton
09-17-2003, 04:23 PM
We've had more than one thread started with people wanting to compile a master list of eBook resources. We'd like to merge these into a single sticky thread. How would you like this list to be organized?<br /><br />Option 1: Users post eBook sources to the list. An admin checks the link, tries to make sure it's not a pirate site, then adds the link to a categorized master list in the first post. The user post is then deleted. Essentially, the thread has the master list, and the only additional posts in the thread are the sites in the queue to be examined and added to that list. Benefit here is that it's easy to read and find what you want. Downside, more work for the admins, and so the updating of the master list may not be all *that* frequent. :razzing:<br /><br />Option 2: The thread contains a large collection of user posts listing eBook resources, and the posting user has a comment on that site in the post. Benefit here is that people tend to not like their posts deleted. ;)<br /><br />Let us know what you think in this poll!

ucfgrad93
09-17-2003, 04:50 PM
I think one list is the way to go. I'd rather not have to tab through 20 pages to view all of the sites.

ChrisW
09-17-2003, 05:03 PM
Ginormous threads like "What's on your Today screen" become useless. By the time they get to 17 pages, no one is going to go back and read the old posts.

dean_shan
09-17-2003, 05:26 PM
What is a "Sticky Thread"?

bbell98
09-17-2003, 05:59 PM
Maybe the user's comments could be included in the one master list?

-Bob

Jereboam
09-17-2003, 06:04 PM
A sticky thread is a thread that a mod has made appear permanently as one of the first on the board...so it doesn't need to be updated to appear at the top, hence it is "stuck".

Otherwise if nobody made new posts to that thread it would disappear off the first page...

J'bm

medic
09-17-2003, 06:21 PM
I like Bob's idea of having user comments associated with the site. Customer satisfaction of a particular business is the way I like to shop! :clap:

Kati Compton
09-17-2003, 06:37 PM
The problem with having the comments in the master list is that if they are long, the list becomes harder to read (especially from a PPC).

medic
09-17-2003, 06:44 PM
How about some kind of rating system?

Kati Compton
09-17-2003, 06:53 PM
How about some kind of rating system?
Eventually that might be a fine idea, but right now I think even listing all these resources will be plenty of work.

upplepop
09-17-2003, 06:54 PM
The problem with having the comments in the master list is that if they are long, the list becomes harder to read (especially from a PPC).

I would hate there not to be at least a one-line description or comment about each site. Otherwise, it would be hard to make sense of a long list of links.

Where to begin...

dkackman
09-17-2003, 07:41 PM
Personally I like the one-stop-shop aspect of the master list.

But on the other hand, having a never ending thread allows me to see people's comments on each site.

I think really having both is the best option 8O .

don

Rok
09-17-2003, 08:37 PM
I think really having both is the best option
don
I agree.
How about making a master list and not deleting the user's posts (thus making it possible to browse their opinions as well)?

Cheers,
Rok

Cortex
09-17-2003, 08:42 PM
the master list makes the most sense for people wanting to find ebook resources -- which is likely the purpose of the list in the first place.

having peoples comments about the site is also nice but this could be done as separate threads outside the master list.

perhaps the master list could include the link to a thread on people's opinions of that particular site so people could discuss it in the forums as usual.

walrus
09-19-2003, 01:26 AM
Use two lists. One list contains all of the user posts, not deleted with full info from the submitter. Second list is a compendium by the admins of the first list. Only the admins can post on the second list. The first list can be searched for comments on a particular source, but the second list gives you the overview. Best of both worlds.