View Full Version : CompactFlash vs SD. Storage vs. Peripherals

jscottsanchez
09-17-2003, 06:46 AM
I'm trying to figure out which cards to buy for various purposes. Got a new HP iPaq 2215 with both a CF and SD. I'd like to get some storage for one slot (a lot of it) and be able to use peripherals (wireless, camera, etc) in the other.

Any ideas on which way would be better to go for which? I've seen a lot of Peripherals for CF available, but also have been hearing about the new SDIO capability and WiFi for SD slots.

maximus
09-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Most of the peripherals out there are CF based, hence it will be wise to assign the CF slot to peripherals, and use the SD slot for flash memory.

seidler
09-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Most of the peripherals out there are CF based, hence it will be wise to assign the CF slot to peripherals, and use the SD slot for flash memory.
Plus, the WiFi SDIO cards have been reported to have some problems with signal strength (what you can imagine considering the small antenna).

On the other hand, if you opt for big storage, CF is much better in terms of prices and sizes. You can get 1GB CF for 210EUR here (about 235$) and 6GB CF cards are available, whereas you'll find it very hard to even find a 1GB SD card yet...

Stefan