View Full Version : Let's Get Physical with MySportTraining

Jason Dunn
09-17-2003, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.jenneth.info/archives/000358.html' target='_blank'>http://www.jenneth.info/archives/000358.html</a><br /><br /></div>Jenneth.info has published a detailed review of MySportTraining, so if you're interested in using your Pocket PC to help track your fitness workouts, this review is a must-read.<br /><br />"Fitness, exercise and health. The older we get, the more we think about it and the more important it becomes. Starting to develop a bit of a pot belly? Pecs starting to sag, upper arms becoming rather flabby? According to the American Obesity Association, 64.5% of adult Americans (about 127 million) are categorised as being overweight or obese, which is a pretty worrying statistic. Perhaps it's time for you to pay more attention to dieting and exercise? I was recently in the market for a program that would help me track my workouts at the gym, and after a process of trial and elimination, I decided that MySportTraining was the most suitable for my needs. I wanted something that was functional and would let me track all of the information I wanted to take down, as well as being pretty to look at - I'm a big sucker for a good user interface. The fact that a desktop component is also available was just icing on the cake...."

mgd
09-17-2003, 09:20 PM
I've been using it for about 6 months. It's very complete. One of the features I like is: you can tap a muscle group on the muscle chart and the program with present you with a list of exercises to work that group. It's definitely one of the most used programs on my PPC.

nz0eBoy
09-17-2003, 11:04 PM
I have been using this for about a month and find it very useful for tracking workouts. I have just added the Food Extension as well and this looks very well thought out also.

I did have a little probelm when i initially installed it, but their customer support was excellent and this was solved very quickly.

yawanag
09-17-2003, 11:05 PM
WOW! This really looks all inclusive. I tried a couple of Calorie Trackers, but got lazy because I had to have the item right there on the table to track all the stats. Got kinda tiring. I'll have to give this a try.

element
09-17-2003, 11:10 PM
I've owned this program for quite a while. Sometimes I wish I didn't as it gives you a full and detailed history of your workouts, weight and other important fitness data. Too bad it doesn't kick you in the rear when you go months w/o having a reason to enter in anything!

:D

ikesler
09-17-2003, 11:19 PM
I have used this app for over a year..... and think it is pretty great. I do get odd looks when I am pulling out my 1910 in the gym though! I didn't really ever use the desktop verision at all, so I didn't reg it.
My only complaint is that I recently wanted to start printing my workouts, and health records. Now they used to have a free app for this available from there website. However they have removed it and the only way to print is to buy the expensive desktop version as well as the PPC version...... I think that stinks! :(
I have emailed them to try and get a copy but they no longer offer it.
Other than that it is pretty good.
I have been demoing the desk version and I guess will have to reg it in order to get all the options I would like to have! :?

Busdriver
09-17-2003, 11:25 PM
I was disappointed they took that backup utility away, as well. Guess they weren't selling enough copies of the desktop version. Otherwise, a great program.

element
09-17-2003, 11:28 PM
They took the backup utility offline eh? Well, who would like a link to download?

Steven Cedrone
09-18-2003, 01:35 AM
They took the backup utility offline eh? Well, who would like a link to download?

As long as they are giving it away. But if this link circumvents their registration/payment system then don't post it...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

cyclwestks
09-18-2003, 01:40 AM
I demo'd the program, and liked it very much except for the necessity to spend more money to buy the desktop version. My only other problem was it doesn't include a timer to use between sets.

Busdriver
09-18-2003, 01:51 AM
Man, it doesn't take you long, does it! :wink:

This was a backup/export utility that they had posted on their site since I have owned MST (Purchased in May 02). The utility was always free during that time, and I believe they had a statement on their site saying it was non-supported. I used it for a long time but lost it when I got a new computer. Of course, I went to download it and the link was removed from their site. I also asked about it via email and was given no explanation other than it's gone. So if anybody has a link or can send it to me I'll take it.

Busdriver
09-18-2003, 01:58 AM
...necessity to spend more money to buy the desktop version.... other problem was it doesn't include a timer...

You don't have to buy the the desktop version. IMO, the PPC program is great as a stand-alone program. They have also included a timer now.

brianochs
09-18-2003, 02:09 AM
This application is great. I've been using it since the start of 2001. It's cool to graph several hundred entries. Works great without the PC version. But to use with a Polar HR monitor you'll need the PC version. Actually I would recommend getting both anyway. :D

Certified Optimist
09-18-2003, 06:37 AM
This application is great. I've been using it since the start of 2001. It's cool to graph several hundred entries. Works great without the PC version. But to use with a Polar HR monitor you'll need the PC version. Actually I would recommend getting both anyway. :D

If you happen to have a Polar HR monitor you can also use the online tracking program on https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/ .

Ok, it's not as good as this application, but if you want to keep generall track of your work-outs (e.g. average pulse, time in zone, activites, distance, times excercised the last year or so) it does the trick.

Enter your personal details, your goal, when you can excersise and it can even suggest a work-out program for you.

And yes... it's free. But... it's obviously been tailor made for someone who's got a Polar HR monitor.

blusparkles
09-18-2003, 06:45 AM
btw, giving away 3 free copies of MySportTraining also.

ikesler
09-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Busdriver.......
Same here.... I have had the program for over a year and a half.... had it on my old 3600 Ipaq first. The utility was there then and now it's gone. It's a shame as all I really want to do is print out my workouts...... I don't need that whole desk program that is a little overpriced, if you already bought the ppc version!
:cry:
The app is good enough to stand alone on the device, but I really think that backup/print utility is missed! :(