View Full Version : MS Reader ebook flaw?

terrypin
09-16-2003, 08:57 PM
Page 1 of one of the current Microsoft free ebooks offering, Fatal Tide, looks like this on my PPC:
http://www.terrypin.dial.pipex.com/Images/PPC-Screenshots/msrdr-wrap.gif

Is that some setting I have wrong or a flaw in the book itself?

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).[/list]

Kevin Remhof
09-16-2003, 09:12 PM
You can change this by changing your Font size. You are set at "small". Go to Settings and try changing to "smallest". This should only affect that one page though. It's a flaw in the eBook (or Microsoft Reader, take your pick).

Just one of those frustrating things about eBooks.

ux4484
09-16-2003, 09:21 PM
not to mention that the rosetta ebooks offered are PAINFULLY S-L-O-W

terrypin
09-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Thanks Kevin, that fixed it. But not sure what you meant by "This should only affect that one page..."? The change applies throughout, making all text smaller, of course.

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

terrypin
09-17-2003, 07:38 AM
not to mention that the rosetta ebooks offered are PAINFULLY S-L-O-W

From evidence of the first page of Fatal Tide, after which I abandoned it, Iris Johansen is one for my 'Don't read' list. (My query about the word-wrap was purely technical - no intention of reading it!)

I'm relatively new to this MS promotion. I missed one I would have liked, despite already having bought the hardback, Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'. But since then can't say I've seen anything that grabbed me.

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Kevin Remhof
09-17-2003, 03:52 PM
that fixed it. But not sure what you meant by "This should only affect that one page..."? The change applies throughout, making all text smaller, of course.

Right you are. I just meant that only the title page should have the wacky text with the larger font. The rest of the book should display fine with the font you orginally had.

That's what's weird though. Normally, eBooks can handle wrapping text properly. There must be something odd with the markup used for the title.