View Full Version : Bluetooth keyboard for iPaq 2215?

Don Tolson
09-16-2003, 06:25 PM
OK, please forgive my ignorance of how bluetooth works, but...

I've just become the proud owner of a 2215, but I miss my thumbkeyboard from the J568. I'm wondering if I can pick up a bluetooth keyboard (maybe a folding one??) and keep it on the desk for data input, etc. It wouldn't be as convenient as a thumb keyboard for quick appts, etc. while standing, but it would be OK for writing reviews, etc.

Question is, how 'standard' is bluetooth? Will any bluetooth device talk to the 2215, or do I need drivers on the 2215 side to recognize the device?

Thanks for your help.

PS... anyone heard any juicy rumours about a thumbkeyboard (a la the slim keyboard from HP) for the 2200 series?

JonnoB
09-16-2003, 07:08 PM
I do not believe that the 221x has a HID profile that would support a keyboard. It is possible however, that someone could create a driver to support a keyboard via the serial profile. I agree that BT is a good way to get a keyboard for our Pocket PC devices.

Don Tolson
09-16-2003, 08:06 PM
OK, so what's an HID profile? (or is this described in some bluetooth 'primer' I can get a copy of?)

Thanks.

JonnoB
09-16-2003, 08:34 PM
OK, so what's an HID profile? (or is this described in some bluetooth 'primer' I can get a copy of?)

Thanks.

HID = Human Interface Device.

Chris Spera
09-17-2003, 03:17 AM
A BlueTooth Keyboard doesn't exist for any BT enabled PDA. I made a comment and post on this exact point here on PPCT as well as on pocketnow.com.

This seems to me to be the best way for a keyboard manufacturer to get into a number of different devices. This would work with any BT enabled PDA, and would make a really good edition to most PDA's, especially those without a native serial port like the 1940/45.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Don Tolson
09-17-2003, 05:01 AM
OK, but couldn't one of the 'other' PC-based bluetooth keyboards work with the bluetooth-enabled PDA, or is it device specific?