View Full Version : A Pocket PC from Motorola? Perhaps!

Jason Dunn
09-15-2003, 11:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=44516' target='_blank'>http://www.crn.com/sections/Breakin...ArticleID=44516</a><br /><br /></div>There's a bit of text at the end of this Smartphone article that should peak the interest of any Pocket PC fan:<br /><br />"Additionally, Suwanjindar said Motorola also plans at some point to release a Pocket PC device. Although he declined to provide specifics, Suwanjindar said Motorola could provide a new look to the Pocket PC line, which has been criticized because so many vendors have released products that contain duplicate feature set and form factors. About Motorola, Sunwanjindar said, " I think there is some room for them to have some unique new devices."<br /><br />Brighthand has <a href="http://www.brighthand.com/article/Expect_Pocket_PCs_from_Motorola">their own take on this information</a>.

Kati Compton
09-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Okay, everybody who's interested, chant with me so they can hear us... Clamshell! Clamshell! Clamshell! Please?

donkthemagicllama
09-15-2003, 11:49 PM
Ed sure likes starting sentences with And.

At any rate, it would be nice to see a PPC that breaks the mold... I wonder if they'll follow through?

easylife
09-15-2003, 11:53 PM
Source: Robert Levy & Foo Fighter
What about me? 8)
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=162852#162852

whydidnt
09-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Okay, everybody who's interested, chant with me so they can hear us... Clamshell! Clamshell! Clamshell! Please?

My Thoughts exactly! :mrgreen:

I hate to admit I just bought the Sony Clie UX-50 Clamshell. I played with it at BestBuy and couldn't walk away. Now that I got it home, I'm not sure what to do with it though. Anyone who tells you Palm is easier to learn and use is full of Baloney. It's only easier for those who grew up with POS. Just not as intuitive IMO. However the Netfront browser blows away Pocket IE.

Now back to the subject at hand. Sony, Garmin, and even Palm to a small extent are releasing truly exciting, innovative devices. Hopefully Motorola can step up to the plate and add superior hardware to the superior handheld OS. It is REALLY time for MS Mobile hardware companies to understand that it takes more than a silver box with four buttons to win the hearts and minds of todays youth and geeks. :wink:

Whydidnt

Foo Fighter
09-16-2003, 01:44 AM
Clamshell! Clamshell! Clamshell! Please?

Flip cover! Flip cover! Flip cover! In the name of bloody hell...someone please make a Pocket PC that has a flip cover! :evil:

maximus
09-16-2003, 01:54 AM

clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell

:mrgreen:

Seriously, I am just curious. Motorola is one of the biggest chipmaker in the world. The possibility that Motorola will put Intel processors in its upcoming PPCs is almost none. If that is the case, the standard WM2003 will need to be tweaked for this non-intel processor. This will be interesting to see.

clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell

Foo Fighter
09-16-2003, 02:08 AM
You know what I'd really like to see? A Pocket PC modeled in the design form of the Zaurus 5600 series, with a slide out keyboard. Now that would be cool, and innovative.

Jason Dunn
09-16-2003, 03:20 AM
Seriously, I am just curious. Motorola is one of the biggest chipmaker in the world. The possibility that Motorola will put Intel processors in its upcoming PPCs is almost none.

Check out the post I did earlier today. Moto is using a TI OMAP processor in their phone, and they have an ARM-based processor in development now that they'll likely use in their Pocket PC. Remember that as long as a company uses the ARM instruction set, it's Pocket PC compatible. Not to beat a dead horse, but THIS is why it made sense for Microsoft to not optimize for the Xscale processor - they obviously knew about these other ARM-based processors (Samsung, Motorola, etc.).

jornadaholic
09-16-2003, 03:32 AM
Seriously, I am just curious. Motorola is one of the biggest chipmaker in the world. The possibility that Motorola will put Intel processors in its upcoming PPCs is almost none. If that is the case, the standard WM2003 will need to be tweaked for this non-intel processor. This will be interesting to see

:bangin: wm2003 works with arm based processors not intel made processors
i.e. the chip made by samsung thats powering the new ipaq 1940 is arm based

if you read the other news item on the site motorola is working on an arm based chip so you were half right they prob. wont be using and intel based processor

and one more thing clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell clamshell!!!!!

James Fee
09-16-2003, 03:49 AM
Yes, brings back memories of the old Motorola Envoy with the wonderful Magic Cap OS.

Found a site with the old PDA. My Dad had one of these. He thought it was better than my Newton. Boy were we both wrong. :oops:

http://www.blakespot.com/nino/html/pdas_envoy.html

JonnoB
09-16-2003, 05:12 AM
I am with you Foo... a flip-cover is long overdue (and sorely missed from my 568!)

ale2999
09-16-2003, 06:50 AM
well If nokia made one, then I'd turn my head around, but motorola is in my black book [my friend had and still have horrible experience (sux to be in a contract and not be able to change phone unless paying for it)]

Zensbikeshop
09-16-2003, 09:10 AM
Two words : Phone Edition

Prevost
09-16-2003, 10:11 AM
Okay, everybody who's interested, chant with me so they can hear us... Clamshell! Clamshell! Clamshell! Please?Clamshell! Clamshell! Clamshell! :mrgreen:

I hope it is coming to be PPC and not Smartphone. We do not have Smartphones in Panama.

BTW, my current location is Rome, Italy. Both Barcelona, Spain, and Rome are great places. If you like nature, jungle and beaches, Come to Panama!!!

maximus
09-16-2003, 11:31 AM
BTW, my current location is Rome, Italy. Both Barcelona, Spain, and Rome are great places. If you like nature, jungle and beaches, Come to Panama!!!

Ah Yes. Rome. One of the top ten places for my retirement.

The colosseum, piazza di spaglina (sp??), trevi fountain, via del corso, piazza navona, roman forum, santa maria maggiore (sp??) ... simply marvelous. If that is not enough, go west, to Vatican. More breathtaking landmarks.

dblml320
09-16-2003, 12:00 PM

I have to second this... Since I was snubbed by Toshiba in the e740 upgrade fiasco I am now waiting for another manufacturer to make a pocketPC similar to the Sony UX50 and/or the Sharp C700 device.

Imagine this device with a 2GB CF card for media and a 512MB SD card for programs, and built in Wifi! Wow this would be KILLER!

mace
09-16-2003, 03:14 PM
CLAMSHELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

With GSM and GPS, since we are wishing I thought I would give my two cents. :wink:

acronym
09-17-2003, 03:26 AM
yes - phone edition. Flipping through this weeks copy of computerworld it'st right there on page 15. "AT&T wireless services ... has agreed to sell the MPx200 smart phone in the US..." It looks like a standard moto flip phone with color screen and modified version of wm2003
http://commerce.motorola.com/consumer/QWhtml/mpx200.html

bradolson
09-17-2003, 04:02 AM
I agree with the "clamshell clamshell clamshell" folks.

clamshell clamshell clamshell. lol.

Brad