View Full Version : What's your problem with Micro$oft Reader?

seidler
09-15-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi all,

first I want to say that I'm definitely not a fan of Microsoft, nor their software. But I read over and over again in the forums, that people say I never ever will get any ebook in MS Reader format, which I quite don't understand.

I did several hard resets with my PocketPC, some of the first without having a backup :oops: and some with backup. Without backup I simply reactivated it. With backup I just did nothing but a restore. All my ebooks work. I never had any troubles with that. I can read my eBooks on my PC and my PocketPC, because they are of cause registered to the same .NET account.

I like about MS Reader, that the Cleartype is fantastic, it makes it so much better to read than Mobipocket or µBook. With the new version M$ made some bad changes though (like when you do a dictionary lookup, first the list is too large for the screen if you have all the free dictionaries installed, and second Reader keeps highlighting the first word on a page after that unless you tap the screen once to go to the next page) which didn't please me, but still it is very convenient to read with it. I even converted some books in text format to .LIT with the Word-Plugin.

About DRM, it's true that if I purchase a normal book, I can give it to someone else to let him/her read it. But after that, this person won't keep it. With an ebook it's different. If you don't consider that the prices for ebooks are still a bit high sometimes, it's only fair that you can't copy it to someone else. Personally, I don't object to own something that I've paid for only for me and myself. I can still make a backup that I don't loose it, and if I don't sell my PocketPC and not buy a new one, I will always be able to read it again.

So that's only my opinion, feel free now to correct me. I'm quite open to change it, but not unless you can give me some good reasons (or only one ultimate reason :wink: ).

Stefan

faustus67
09-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Well, on my iPAQ 3950 - with the new version of MS Reader in RAM and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy also in RAM (one of MS's free books) it takes a total of 12 minutes to load up that one book. Every time.
After converting the .lit book into html, opening it with ubook takes just under 4 seconds. The first time it paginated the book, which took a bit but that only happens once.
The decision to delete MS Reader was a no brainer.

Dave R.

dMores
09-15-2003, 10:43 AM
that's why you don't close MS Reader when you're done with your reading for the day, so you don't have to wait that long next time you decide to read.

by the way, 12 minutes is extremely long. on my loox it takes about a minute or two.

faustus67
09-15-2003, 10:51 AM
Yes, 12 minutes is very long. That's why I tried reinstalling to both my SD card and RAM and redownloaded both Reader and the ebook. Other books don't take quite so long, but still 4 or 5 minutes. Generally, I read eBooks while waiting for something - if it takes that long to load then it defeats the purpose. Even a couple of minutes is to long when ubook opens it in seconds.
Keeping it open would work, I s'pose. But it would tie up some memory, which I'd rather avoid. For me, at least, Reader is to flawed to be of much good.

Dave R.

Rok
09-15-2003, 12:50 PM
I like about MS Reader, that the Cleartype is fantastic, it makes it so much better to read than Mobipocket
This means you either haven't tried Mobipocket at all or simply didn't bother to check the Settings dialogue. Namely, you can change the typography (= font) to Frutiger Linotype (which is being used by MS Reader), switch ClearType on (it is supported), which will give you exactly the same display as MS Reader does. Of course, you can select any TTF and might actually find that some typographies are even better suited for reading. Apart from that, you can opt to have borderless display, showing you about 40 % more text than MS Reader. Or select the font size, which - AFAIK - is not possible in MS Reader.

How about the fact that it takes a minute or two to open a large novel in MS Reader, as compared to less than two seconds (!) it takes in Mobipocket to open a 12 MB Stedman's Medical dictionary loaded on a SD card. Search is instantaneous.

So while there might be a few things to like in MS Reader, I get all of them plus a lot more goodies and fewer annoyances in Mobipocket. Plus, medical books are not available for MS Reader (and even if they were, it would choke because of their size).

The one thing about MS Reader I have no qualm about is the DRM. As far as I'm concerned, it is a necessary evil to be taken into account when contemplating eBooks. If there were no protection, users would be swapping them like ferocious predators.

I reckon it is rather obvious I prefer Mobipocket to MS Reader, wouldn't you say?

Cheers,
Rok

seidler
09-15-2003, 01:25 PM
I like about MS Reader, that the Cleartype is fantastic, it makes it so much better to read than Mobipocket
This means you either haven't tried Mobipocket at all or simply didn't bother to check the Settings dialogue. Namely, you can change the typography (= font) to Frutiger Linotype (which is being used by MS Reader), switch ClearType on (it is supported), which will give you exactly the same display as MS Reader does.
Erm ... or maybe I just haven't the latest version. I only have my E-200 for some months now, and when I downloaded MobiPocket, I thought it was a mature program, and thus I didn't expect that I will have to update it. I still have v4.5 (Build 391), where I can't find any ClearType option. I will give the 4.7 version a try today :)

About the speed I agree MS Reader is slow, but only on books with a lot of images, usually it works ok. Can you do a dictionary lookup in MobiPocket? And do you get free ones? These are the major points which I would like to know before I really change.

Oh, and to all the MobiPocket fans: is it worth to pay for it :?: I mean what is the real surplus you get when you buy it, do you actually use the functions a lot? Or can I be happy without them?

Stefan

Mobipocket
09-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Can you do a dictionary lookup in MobiPocket? And do you get free ones? These are the major points which I would like to know before I really change.

Stefan

You can lookup in dictionaries in Mobipocket format, you can even lookup inflected forms (nouns, adjectives, verbs).
Publishers can add all inflected forms in the dictionaries, to give better look-up results.

It is also possible to define "short entries", these are part of the full dictionary entries. They are displayed in the lookup toolip. They contain the significant information about each entry.

Rok
09-15-2003, 02:59 PM
Can you do a dictionary lookup in MobiPocket? And do you get free ones? These are the major points which I would like to know before I really change.

Oh, and to all the MobiPocket fans: is it worth to pay for it :?: I mean what is the real surplus you get when you buy it, do you actually use the functions a lot? Or can I be happy without them?

Stefan
Not only can you do a dictionary lookup (which is likewise near-instantaneous), you can select which dictionary the program should use. So when I use my reference books, I have Stedman's as a default dictionary. When reading a novel, Merriam-Webster's is the best bet.

I'm not sure about free dictionaries - I do not know of any. And yes, price is something worth discussing here. MW costs $ 40, which is $ 10 more than a printed version plus desktop companion (PC) version. I'm certain a lot of work went into this product, but it is (too) expensive, no doubt. Mind you, there are cheaper dictionaries. But I don't need a 20.000-entries pocket version - I want a full dictionary that in a printed version is too heavy to use anywhere but at my desk! So I swallowed the price. Is it worth it? Yes it is. It's the comparison to other available versions (which are a real bargain!) that makes it difficult to accept the (high) price.

The problem is that you're commited to your selection. For instance, I chose Mobipocket as it is the only reader for which a variety of most popular medical references (such as Griffith's 5MCC, OHCM, Stedman's, Merck's, etc.) is available (by Franklin). But if I want a book that is not available for the reader I chose and decide to purchase it for another reader (for instance, Palm Reader), I cannot use the same dictionary with it (yes, I can toggle applications and make a manual lookup, but this is tedious). However, make no mistake - all ebook readers are the same in this aspect. So you'll probably stick to the one you choose and shell out money for the books in that format. At least you I can be certain I'll be able to read my books even if I switch platforms, as Mobipocket is available for just about every piece of PDA (and even Smartphone) in existence.

As for the "Pro" features of MobiPocket: they're probably not worth $ 20, though highlight and full text search are certainly very useful. It really depends how much (and for what) you intend to use your reader. If you spend a couple of hundred quid (err... bucks) on books, the price for added reader functions is marginal. Can you be happy without them? Yes. Will you use them if you buy it? Some of them, probably. Decide for yourself.

Cheers,
Rok

P.S.
Seeing all the rave I gave to Mobipocket, perhaps they'll give me a discount at their store? :lol:

michie
09-15-2003, 04:13 PM
I would not use Mobipocket Reader for secure ebooks because the DRM is even stricter than Microsoft's. MS ebooks have DRM keyed to Passport activation; Mobipocket DRM is based on PIDs set before downloading ebooks. That means in order to read ebooks on a new device, you first need to download new copies. If B&N had carried Mobipocket ebooks, you'd only be able to read them on your existing devices.

The good thing about Mobipocket DRM is that it's hassle-free, unlike Microsoft's. Also, the reader is great for non-secure ebooks.

Mobipocket
09-15-2003, 04:38 PM
If B&N had carried Mobipocket ebooks, you'd only be able to read them on your existing devices.

No, because the eBooks would be available on Mobipocket website, and you would be able to download them from there.
We would have allowed B&N users to create accounts and download freely their eBooks (with a proof of purchase for example).

Jereboam
09-16-2003, 12:30 AM
The Pro version of Mobipocket is worth it for the landscape and full screen functions alone. I don't do much dictionary lookup, but speaking several languages I can see why this might be invaluable for people who aren't native English speakers. Autoscroll is not really to my taste, as my daughter doesn't allow me to read at a constant speed... :D

On PID's - Fictionwise allows you to change PID's every six months, and does allow you to have three associated PID's.

For me - than means one PID for my laptop, one PID for my Pocket PC and one blank field for a new PID in reserve in case everything really goes tits up.

Thus, although Mobipocket's DRM is on the surface more restrictive, I feel more comfortable with it as I am very sure that I will be able to read my books under most circumstances.

At very worst, other than Mobipocket disappearing of course (not likely I hope) I would have to wait a few months to re-enter my PID's - and I am sure in extenuating circumstances Fictionwise would allow you an emergency change.

J'bm

seidler
09-16-2003, 08:39 AM

Stefan
Not only can you do a dictionary lookup (which is likewise near-instantaneous), you can select which dictionary the program should use. So when I use my reference books, I have Stedman's as a default dictionary. When reading a novel, Merriam-Webster's is the best bet.

Other question: Did you ever try MS Reader? You don't even have to go into the settings there to change the dictionary you use...

I'm not sure about free dictionaries - I do not know of any. And yes, price is something worth discussing here. MW costs $ 40, which is $ 10 more than a printed version plus desktop companion (PC) version. I'm certain a lot of work went into this product, but it is (too) expensive, no doubt.
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking when I checked the Mobipocket website :(

The problem is that you're commited to your selection. For instance, I chose Mobipocket as it is the only reader for which a variety of most popular medical references (such as Griffith's 5MCC, OHCM, Stedman's, Merck's, etc.) is available (by Franklin). But if I want a book that is not available for the reader I chose and decide to purchase it for another reader (for instance, Palm Reader), I cannot use the same dictionary with it (yes, I can toggle applications and make a manual lookup, but this is tedious). However, make no mistake - all ebook readers are the same in this aspect. So you'll probably stick to the one you choose and shell out money for the books in that format.

Well, I strongly disagree with that. I know I can use Convert LIT for MS Reader, Mobipocket Publisher for Mobipocket and there are a lot of other conversion programs out there. Like yesterday I converted the book I am currently reading to Mobipocket format, just to see how it looks and how the reading experience is. I like the smaller fonts (or better font settings in general) in Mobipocket. The only "Pro" function I am really interested in with MP is the Autoscroll, maybe I'll use my 10% registration bonus at Handango to buy it ... :rock on dude!:

Cheers,
Rok

P.S.
Seeing all the rave I gave to Mobipocket, perhaps they'll give me a discount at their store? :lol:
:twisted: Haha, M$ does. Three new ebooks each week :mrgreen: SCNR

Thanks,

Stefan

Rok
09-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Well, I strongly disagree with that. I know I can use Convert LIT for MS Reader, Mobipocket Publisher for Mobipocket and there are a lot of other conversion programs out there. Like yesterday I converted the book I am currently reading to Mobipocket format
CLIT is the only tool I know of. And it only works with LIT format. Anything else (encrypted) - you're stuck with it. Palm PDB - no way. iSilo PDB - ditto. Mobipocket PRC - likewise. :(

If you do know of any other tools, I'd be delighted to hear about it.

Cheers,
Rok

dh
09-16-2003, 11:27 AM
If you do know of any other tools, I'd be delighted to hear about it.
I'm unaware of any other tool as well.
That's why, even though my reader of choice is MP, I always buy my books as .lit and convert them to unprotected MP format.

By the way, anyone wondering if it is worth buying the Pro version of MP just download the trial version and play with it. When the trial expires MP reverts to the free version. If you find that you don't miss any features when that happens you will know not to buy the Pro.

davidspalding
09-19-2003, 07:10 PM
My problem(s) with Reader..

- slow
- limitd font configuration
- black on white only
- DRM hassles
- update hassles
- slow (it's still opening...)

Compared to these, Mobipocket was a no-brainer. particularly when you discover the settings (which are superb when you register it). Dictionary performance is superb.[/list][/list]