View Full Version : Help a newbie like me find the right "trim and slim" PPC

mykel8
09-15-2003, 04:09 AM
Hi board. I'm new to the world of Pocket PC's but plenty familiar with the rest of the tech world. Well, it's time for me to get with the program. Basically, I am a student who needs to keep track of assignments, appointments and contacts. Additionally, I want the PPC to be svelte, thin, light- what have you- basically the smallest one possible. To make matters worse, WiFi is a must too as I'm a geek who didn't buy an Access Point for nothing ;). I have been considering the Viewsonic V37, it's the perfect size and looks great. Problems: I can't seem to find it available ANYWHERE! Also, any chance of an SDIO WiFi card with some storage expansion space too? As you can see, I'm a tough customer. Where's a good place to find a V37?, Is this a good choice, it seems a little obscure to say the least?!, How is surfing the web on a PPC with Pocket IE?, Any other suggestions for my PPC?

Thanks for helping a newbie like me out.

mykel8
09-15-2003, 04:31 AM
Also found the iPAQ h1935... could be interesting...

Fishie
09-15-2003, 05:09 AM
Or the 2215

spursdude
09-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Or the 2215
This would allow storage card + WiFi, but it's not the smallest out there like mykel8 would like.

mykel8 - You could check out the iPaq 1935 or 1945. Both are incredibly small, and the 1945 is very powerful given the size. The 1935 is less expensive, but its specs are toned down.

You can definitely get a WiFi SD card. Just make sure that the PPC you get has SDIO capability. The 1945 has that, I'm quite sure.

There may be some WiFi/memory combo cards, but I don't think any are out right now. However, if all you want to do is keep contacts and notes and appointments, you may not need that extra storage. Granted, extra storage is always awesome (for movies, music, games, programs, etc), but you might be able to get by without it.

The only way currently to get more memory and WiFi is to either get a device with WiFi built in (iPaq 5555, or Toshiba e750, both larger and more expensive), or get a device with dual slots like the aforementioned iPaq 2215. The 2215 is the smallest device with a CF slot (for WiFi) and SD slot (for memory).

Surfing on the web with a PPC is quite good, although Pocket IE has quite slow browsing speed. You might want to pick up a third-party browser.

So if you really need extra memory AND wi-fi, I would definitely go with the 2215. It's just such a good Pocket PC....

maximus
09-15-2003, 09:47 AM
Hi board.

Hello User! {beep-beep-twink-beep-twink-beep-twink-twink-beep-beep-twink}

Additionally, I want the PPC to be svelte, thin, light- what have you- basically the smallest one possible. To make matters worse, WiFi is a must too as I'm a geek who didn't buy an Access Point for nothing ;).

If you want it small, try the 2210 or the upcoming Dell X3.

I have been considering the Viewsonic V37, it's the perfect size and looks great. Problems: I can't seem to find it available ANYWHERE!

Wow, you should subscribe, (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17265&highlight=giveaway) and win this week's giveaway (a viewsonic V37)! :D

Seriously, if you want to locate an online merchant, look here. (http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1155431/search=viewsonic%2520v37/ut=c0c1a00599641342)

Also, any chance of an SDIO WiFi card with some storage expansion space too?

None that I know of. If you want wifi+storage combo, presently they only available in CF form.

How is surfing the web on a PPC with Pocket IE?, Any other suggestions for my PPC?

Surfing the web on PIE is fun, once you got used to the smaller screen and horizontal scrolling ...

Thanks for helping a newbie like me out.

Your welcome.

Sincerely,
The Board.

{beep-beep-twink-beep-twink-beep-twink-twink-beep-beep-twink}

mykel8
09-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Well guys, thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with the HP iPaq h1935 PPC. It has SDIO, and has all I really need. Plus, it's SMALL and I love that. I'll be around the boards a lot with many more newb questions you can be sure :)!