View Full Version : Two iPAQs and one PC

tschirtz
09-14-2003, 05:38 AM
I have two iPAQs in the household and want to sync them to the same machine under two different profiles. One for me under my loggin and pointed to my Outlook. The other for my wife, under her loggin and pointed to her Outlook. I am running windows XP Pro.

I am sure this has come up before and someone else has solved this problem. If you have any hints or suggestions for setting this up please let me know :D

rzanology
09-14-2003, 01:55 PM
i see no reason this can't be done....once the computer is on a diffrent log in name you should be fine. Active sync should pick up the diffrent ipaq names and store the contacts and ect in the .pst for that log in. And if i do remember correct....each log in name on xp has its own .pst....so you should be fine....but just wait a while..see what some of the other guys have to say. Good luck!

tschirtz
09-14-2003, 04:18 PM
Both user profiles have Admin status. I have loaded ActiveSync 3.7 and it wouldn't show up on the other users profile. So, I had to load it twice, one for each profile. The first PDA to sync is fine, the second one won't recognize.

The other thing to think about is when you leave the PDA connected and switch users. You are actually in a different profile linking back to another..... confuses the PC.

rzanology
09-15-2003, 01:33 AM
when you say not showing up what do you mean. I think you might have to go the start menu and run it from there as oppossed to just having it show up in the task bar already. If its not even launching from the start menu then i have no idea what to tell you....there has to be a way thoug. And you are correct about the switching user option in xp. I guess ya have to get use to logging off.

tschirtz
09-15-2003, 01:47 AM
It wasn't even loading for the other profile.... not in the task bar, not in the menu and not even in programs. I had to load it per profile (with both profiles set as admin) to get it to load in each profile.

It is there for mine it just won't recognize my PocketPC

rzanology
09-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Well....you might not like what im about to tell you, but....CALL COMPAQ!!! belive me...they will and MUST sit there on the phone with you untill you get it figured out. Im thinking about ordering a 3670 this week to try linux on it....if i do i'll mess around with the 2 ipaq thing and get back to you on that. I think you should give compaq a call. god luck!

tschirtz
09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
Thanks for commiserating with me!!!!!

Now for that 2 hour support call, hope I can understand them.

townsendtribe
09-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Here is what I know. I use an Axim and my wife has an iPAQ. We are on Windows XP, and each have our own profile. Plus we are running Activesync 3.7.

I had to install activesync under my profile, but I had to launch it manually under my wife's. When switching profiles, we need to remove both pocket pc's then depending on which profile we are going into, we will need to dock that pacoet pc first (ie mine, dock the axim, my wife's, dock the iPAQ).

Sometimes, if we forget to undock them, we will get a connection problem, and we need to manually go into the connection settings to re-enable USB for the connection options.

Other than that, those are the only issues I have seen.

Bruno Figueiredo
09-15-2003, 02:34 PM
You have to Setup different names for them. They must be with equal names.

Tap Settings > About > Device ID and give each a name and description. Your first names will do fine. Don't use spaces in the name. For the description is fine. That way they don't mess up.

Works for me... :)