View Full Version : MS Reader

cab124
09-14-2003, 02:52 AM
I realize that I left a message about this a few weeks ago, but I am still having the same problem with MS reader free ebook downloads and I can't seem to figure out why.

When I try to download a free ebook from the MS free ebook page, I get a dialogue box showing the file downloading and it actually appears to download.....then MS Reader opens up showing the library. But the new file is nowhere to be found. Even if I do a search, the file can't be found on my computer.

I am missing out on all the free ebooks simply because they will not download to my computer. Really weird. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I didn't have this problem the first couple of weeks of free ebooks.

Jereboam
09-14-2003, 03:29 AM
OKdoke, no problem, let's go through it step by step...

1. Look in My Documents/My Library - if your ebooks did actually download correctly this is where they should be. You should see the .lit files there, and a sub-folder named Annotations. If there are .lit files there, then open them, and MS Reader should open with the cover page briefly shown...

2. If there are no .lit files in the above directory, take a quick look in Annotations...I once had a problem when all my .lit files got hidden in there. If they are there, move them back into the main My Library folder and see if they come up.

3. If there are no .lit files in either directory, try doing a search for *.lit - this should bring up any ebooks that might have gotten tucked away in temp folders...when you download them, they normally get downloaded to a temp folder, then when they open up automatically in MS Reader it makes a copy in My Library.

Try all of that and get back to me...

J

upplepop
09-14-2003, 04:13 AM
Here's your answer. Go to Control Panel -> Folder Options -> File Types. Look for the .lit extention (press the L key to get there faster) and click on it. Click on the 'Advanced' button, and check the box next to "Confirm open after download". Now, Internet Explorer will always prompt you to where you want to save the file on your hard drive... and it will actually save!!!

By the way, please use a more descriptive subject in the future so your threads will be easier to search for & identify.

cab124
09-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replys!

Well, when I go to the "My Library" folder, I can see all of the eBooks I have downloaded or purchased in the past, but none of the new ones show up there. Also, it doesn't appear that they are being hidden in Annotations.

When I do a search on *.lit files, they only ones that show up are the ones in the folder above. Really weird because they definitely appear to download from the site (status bar and all).

Hey....modifying the file type worked!!! I can now choose where to save the file, and it actually saves. I wish I had known about this last week because there were a few books that were offered that I wanted.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!! I really appreciate the help.

OK...I will beef up my topic descriptions!

Jorgen
09-14-2003, 05:38 PM
>Really weird because they definitely appear to download from the site (status bar and all).

They were probably opened in the \windows\temp directory and not - as they should have automatically - transferred to \My Documents\My Library. MS has certainly not been lucky with this upgrade!

Jorgen