View Full Version : unusual problem with ipaq 2215 side grip

thrush
09-13-2003, 10:54 AM
i am recently facing a very annoying problem with my ipaq 2215. the side grip of it has started falling off.... both of them. i m sure this is bcoz of the stupid nylon case. is anybody facing the same problem?

the side grip consists of rubber and plastic. the plastic part helps it to be attached with the the main body. and the rubber layer is just glued on the plastic part. now, not only the whole grip is coming off, the rubber part is also coming off from the plastic part. does anybody have any solution for this? should i use glue or something? does hp covers this kinda stuff in their warrranty by any chance? please help. its our poor baby we r talking about!

Ce
09-13-2003, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately it's a known problem with the 2210. On my 2210 both grips a seriously damaged and won't stay in place without the use of superglue!!

Also look here:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=c1dc200795ef5897678bd4565315bd1e&threadid=85659

and here:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=c1dc200795ef5897678bd4565315bd1e&threadid=89288

Carel

mr_Ray
09-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Mine's done the same thing. Since I got it <30 days ago, I'm returning it to the supplier for a replacement.

As I see it, this is a good thing wrapped up in a bad thing - sure you have a falling apart case, but you get a new iPAQ delivered every month :D

cab124
09-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Looks like my grips are begining to do the same thing. The rubber is begining to come loose along the top edge so that it can be peeled back.

Unbelievable.

With my iPaq 3650, there were alot of quality problems like dust under the screen and a stylus that wouldn't stay in the silo properly.

Now I upgrade to the 2215 and the rubber grips are beginning to fall off.

If we send them in for service, are they just going to replace them with another set of grips that will also last for a month or two???

Ed Hansberry
10-04-2003, 04:34 PM
Same here. :cry:

See the front page article at http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=169327 with a poll.

I'd gladly pay for some decent replacement grips.

mjhamson
10-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Mine too... but it has been an ugly problem. Since I bought mine at Costco... I just might take it back to get a new one. Does anyone know if they are going to fix the problem?

mesapilot
10-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Mine fell off in the first month also. I have also had the screen crack. I love this unit, but after talking to PDASmart.com I now know that HP has taken on the government attitude of finding the lowest bidder and using them even if the parts are sub-standard. Also, be careful about sending it to HP, for my cracked screen they said to expect a 6-8 week return. There is no way I could have lived 8 weeks with out my iPAQ.

Duddy
10-04-2003, 08:32 PM
IDEA!!!

If there are any Pocket PC Accesory makers reading this thread, I would pay $30 for a pair of shiny METAL sides for the 22xx. Where you just take out the rubber grips (if they haven't fallen off yet) and the plastic piece and pop in the metal sides.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!!!!

iPaqDude
10-04-2003, 11:55 PM
One of mine have just fallen off as well. Kind of pain in butt, as the rubber grip really helps keep the 2215 from sliding out of the hand.

I'm considering a couple of drops of super glue - anyone else tried this?

Len Egan
10-05-2003, 12:03 AM
I am on my second set since 6/24. It is a pain that will be the ruin of an otherwise great device. Nobody, and I mean nobody, wants their device to be defaced. The fact that HP says "send it back" as their only solution is a disgrace that they should be ashamed of. Not only did they not anticipate this, but they have reacted horribly since they have become VERY AWARE of the issue.

I thought they should turn a negative into a positive and sell replacements of different colors to allow for personalization. I hope they come up with a good solution. :devilboy:

Gary D
10-05-2003, 12:50 AM
I'm considering a couple of drops of super glue - anyone else tried this?

Yep, i did. It holds it together, but doesn't look too great as the soft rubber is overlapping the outer casing of the device.

MikeUnwired
10-05-2003, 03:02 AM
I haven't had any issues with mine to this point -- but, having now said that, I'll wake up in th morning and they'll both be sheared away frm the unit. :D

Sending it back! I use my 2215 every few hours on a slow day. That's like sending a kidney back -- both actually. I don't want to have to deal with being parted from the one PDA I actually would consider taking to the grave with me.

As I say that. there are probably a few new units on the drawing boards that will replace it in time -- but not before its time.

I wonder if that case skinning I saw posted a few weeks ago can wrap over the grips too to keep the friction from causing them to come loose?

ppcsurfr
10-05-2003, 04:05 PM
It's made of porous rubber, the one that absorbs sweat and body oil... that's why it grows!!!

Really bad... same thing Nikon uses on its high end cameras...

For those with sweaty palms... you're lucky if it lasts 1 month.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

MikeUnwired
10-05-2003, 11:52 PM
sweaty palms

Oh, so now it's a Palm thing is it? Sabatage perhaps?

By the way, mine is starting to show a little wear around the grip edges -- I told you it would happen as soon as I said there were no problems...

Len Egan
10-06-2003, 12:28 AM
With soooo many complaints, it seems to me that the corporately responsible thing to do would be for HP to come up with an answer. How about if one only needed to send in THE BAD GRIP to receive a new one in the mail. This would mean we wouldn't need to be without our devices which is the biggest inconvenience. I know that I'm lost without mine. Sick, I know, but you first must admit you have a broblem if you are to have a chance to beat iPAQaholism!

bradolson
10-06-2003, 01:37 AM
I agree that sending a replacement grip would be the better solution. They should just sell replacements, like styli - maybe in different colors, lol.

Len Egan
10-06-2003, 01:41 AM
It would allow for personalization!

ale2999
10-08-2003, 12:22 AM
this suks, today my second one fell as well and since the past 2 day at the minimum pressure on the headphones jack the left headphones doesnt work. This is rubbish, this thing was expensive and I expect quality. Now I didnt buy hp carepaq but I got compusmart carepack instead. hope that they will attend me when I show up at their office saturday

arjay
10-11-2003, 01:28 AM
I thought I was immune too...but as I was having trouble with my headphone jack (no left channel) and trying to insert the headphones just right...my right grip fell off in my hand. I was able to put it back on, but it's obviously not going to stay. I'd spring for a nice set of replacement grips myself..now we need someone to step up to the plate on make some!

arjay

jimxenus
10-11-2003, 09:03 PM
I just ordered my 2215 and now after reading all these posts, I decided to get a Sena case. I like the fact you can sync with the case on. That should minimize having to take the PocketPC in and out. I hope that will solve the problem with rubber grips falling off!

I hope HP takes care of this problem soon.

pootp
10-11-2003, 11:48 PM
I'm interested in buying this unit. What is the most common explanation as to why the side grips fall off? is it because of using the case or is it because of just using the unit itself?

I don't plan to take the PDA out of the house very often as I plan to use it to read ebooks in my easy chair. So I doubt I'd use the case.

If it's likely inevitable that the side grips will fall off, I'd rather not buy this unit unless I knew the cause and how to prevent it. Also, is there a safe and easy way to repair it without violating the warranty. I'd rather not send the unit back to HP each time the side grips fell off..

Thanks for your help.

Len Egan
10-12-2003, 01:54 AM
Don't use the case that comes with the iPAQ!!!! It will make the problem start. Too snug!

ppcsurfr
10-12-2003, 05:33 AM
Don't use the case that comes with the iPAQ!!!! It will make the problem start. Too snug!It's not really the case.

It's skin oil and sweat that makes the rubber expand and separate from the plastic backing.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Len Egan
10-12-2003, 06:17 PM
That is what makes the rubber come off the plastic but not what makes the whole piece come off the 2215! It is really two problems. First, the grips coming off, and, second, the rubber coming off of the plastic form.

I think HP should be ashamed of themselves. When you are paying $400 for such a device, you expect that no pieces will fall off ROUTINELY! If it was isolated it would be one thing, but this is to everyone that has one for any length of time over three-four months! Just Toshiba-like rotten!

Xanadu
10-12-2003, 06:53 PM
That is what makes the rubber come off the plastic but not what makes the whole piece come off the 2215! It is really two problems. First, the grips coming off, and, second, the rubber coming off of the plastic form.

It is the initial expansion of the rubber (due to sweat and oil) that pops the grips off in the first place. You can force them back on for a while, but eventually the process gets far enough along to permit the separation of plastic from rubber.

FYI, I contacted HP for replacement grips yesterday. (Mine had started to separate.) The tech was aware of the grips issue and sent me a "plastics kit" which is supposed to contain replacements. He also mentioned that HP had redesigned the grips, but I don't know if I'll be a recipient of the new ones or not.

-Xan

Len Egan
10-12-2003, 07:03 PM

It is the initial expansion of the rubber (due to sweat and oil) that pops the grips off in the first place. You can force them back on for a while, but eventually the process gets far enough along to permit the separation of plastic from rubber.

FYI, I contacted HP for replacement grips yesterday. (Mine had started to separate.) The tech was aware of the grips issue and sent me a "plastics kit" which is supposed to contain replacements. He also mentioned that HP had redesigned the grips, but I don't know if I'll be a recipient of the new ones or not.

-Xan

Good info! I'll give them a try!

cdbeckman
10-12-2003, 07:45 PM
You know, I didn't go with another compaq (even if they are now HP) because my old 3800 fell apart, with the power botton falling inward and many other various problems that compaq did not care about. The rubber sided HP was one of my options, but I went with toshiba instead...

While toshiba may now have it's problems with upgradability and wifi, somehow I managed to steer clear of the wifi issues and I have a 750 with 2003... so I got the best of both worlds! I guess pocket pcs have just got a serious build quality issue going on here. My dad's origonal plam pilot freakin still works, and it's case was plastic. Jeez!

Xanadu
10-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Good info! I'll give them a try!

Just in case your tech isn't as clued-in as mine was, the part number for the Plastic Kit is 349036-001.

Good luck!

-Xan

pootp
10-13-2003, 04:44 PM
just a question, is this plastics kit free? that's what I'm hoping for.

Xanadu
10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
just a question, is this plastics kit free? that's what I'm hoping for.

My grips were replaced under warranty, so it was free of charge. Now that they've acknowledged the problem with grips made before a certain date, all they need is your unit's serial number to determine if you qualify.

-Xan

pootp
10-13-2003, 08:22 PM
thanks... how are the new grips? do they solve the problem?

Xanadu
10-13-2003, 08:25 PM
thanks... how are the new grips? do they solve the problem?

We'll see in three business days. If the new ones are at all different from the old ones, i'll post pictures.

-Xan

Len Egan
10-14-2003, 01:32 AM
They have a new plastics kit that they will overnight to you if you qualify. They say they won't separate. I called yesterday. All the reps. aren't up[ to snuff, however, as mine had to put me on hold and go ask. Thanks

pootp
10-14-2003, 03:04 AM
They have a new plastics kit that they will overnight to you if you qualify. They say they won't separate. I called yesterday. All the reps. aren't up[ to snuff, however, as mine had to put me on hold and go ask. Thanksthat's good. so from what I'm hearing, they've already released updated models in stores and means that they have already addressed the problem. I'm one step closer to heading to the store to pick up this handheld. :D

igreen
10-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Got mine this morning overnight from HP. They look EXACTLY like the old ones.

Xanadu
10-14-2003, 10:39 PM
EDIT: D'oh! I've been alerted to the fact that the reason my old grips differ from the new ones is that the tabs on the old ones have snapped off. Sorry for any confusion.

This begs the question: If these grips are unchanged from the originals. What is HP accomplishing besides buying time until the units go out of warranty?

-Xan

Got mine this morning overnight from HP. They look EXACTLY like the old ones.

I got my Plastic Kit this morning, too. However, if you look closely enough, you can see one subtle difference.

Here are the contents of the box (grips, battery door, battery door pad):

http://www.dataclysm.com/images/ipaq/plastickit.jpg

Here are the new and old grips side by side (new is on the left):

http://www.dataclysm.com/images/ipaq/oldvsnew.jpg

Here is a closeup side view of the NEW grip:

http://www.dataclysm.com/images/ipaq/newgrip.jpg

Here is a closeup side view of the OLD grip:

http://www.dataclysm.com/images/ipaq/oldgrip.jpg

Here is a closeup side view of the OLD grip without its rubber layer:

http://www.dataclysm.com/images/ipaq/oldgrip-stripped.jpg

As you can see, the new grip has an improved lower tab that should better secure the grip to the body.

The "look and feel" of the rubber layer is unchanged. Perhaps HP went for the easier approach and attempted to prevent grip pop-off instead of the more costly solution of reformulating the rubber to prevent expansion and eventual plastic/rubber separation.

-Xan

Len Egan
10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
I got mine today. You will notice that there is a different number on the old and new pieces too!

Xanadu
10-14-2003, 11:05 PM
I got mine today. You will notice that there is a different number on the old and new pieces too!

I've been told that those are just mold numbers for QA purposes. They should range from 1-8.

-Xan

Len Egan
10-15-2003, 04:47 AM
Could be! Mine were Three and five.

james4513
10-16-2003, 11:03 PM
After telling me that the parts were backordered and shipping next week, they showed up today! One day after I called. Impressive.

Len Egan
10-16-2003, 11:07 PM
Beautiful! They've really stepped-up!

pootp
10-17-2003, 02:20 AM

I've been told that those are just mold numbers for QA purposes. They should range from 1-8.

-XanIs this number the same type of number that you see on plastic products in general to indicate the grade of plastic used? for instance, most plastic drink bottles are grade 1, which is the lowest. tupperware is around 4-5. the big blue 18 liter bottles are made with a grade 7 plastic.

if this is the same thing, do the new grips have a higher number? otherwise that would mean better plastic was used for the new grips.

james4513
10-17-2003, 04:00 AM
Just installed the new plactic grips. Great fit - looks good.

To get the old ones out, use a hard object (I used a ruller) to push the existing grip straight up - push hard and it pops out. Align the new ones and snap down hard - just pops in place.

absolutVenky
10-17-2003, 05:09 PM
My grips separated a month ago and I called HP about 3 weeks ago - they asked me to send it in for replacement. I waited until this Tuesday afternoon and called again - this time the tech support person knew about the issue and told me the new kit was backordered until Oct 19th. I was surprised to receive it the next day by UPS!

My iPAQ is now back to being presentable but it's anyone's guess how long these new grips will last.

Godsongz
10-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Here are the contents of the box (grips, battery door, battery door pad)

hmm.. what is the battery door pad?

I ordered part #349036-001 yesterday, is this the same kit you have?

Xanadu
10-17-2003, 07:47 PM
Here are the contents of the box (grips, battery door, battery door pad)

hmm.. what is the battery door pad?

I ordered part #349036-001 yesterday, is this the same kit you have?

The battery door pad provides a buffer between the battery and the battery door. You just stick the pad to the inside part of the door opposite the latch, pop the door in place, and you're done.

The part number you mention matches the one I ordered/received.

-Xan

doc chikito
10-19-2003, 02:16 PM
a little bit off-topic here....

i'm about to buy myself a 2215 and i was just curious if ever it was mentioned (by the HP tech) that only a batch of the ipaqs have this grip problem?

did they release a memo on what serial numbers to look out for when buying a new 2215?

i am hoping to buy a 2215 with the new improved grips already. i'm from the philippines and i'm not certain if HP has local support as good as yours there.

Len Egan
10-19-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure what the seriel numbers are. but the newer ones should be grip-problem free.

Godsongz
10-20-2003, 03:54 PM
I hope the grips in the "plastics kit" they're sending out as warranty replacements last. Just got mine (ordered it on Thursday, not too bad!) and they fit, look, and feel great. We'll see what they're like in a month or two.

Radar On Paws
11-30-2003, 08:17 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted about the availability of this replacement. I had finally given up on mine (the left one is completely destroyed now) and did a search and found this thread. I called today and they have a bunch of the plastic kits in stock and I should receive mine Tuesday. Verified it against the part number posted by Xanadu (thanks!).

Good to see they are fixing this, and the support on the phone was great too. I was pleasantly surprised.

Xanadu
11-30-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted about the availability of this replacement. I had finally given up on mine (the left one is completely destroyed now) and did a search and found this thread. I called today and they have a bunch of the plastic kits in stock and I should receive mine Tuesday. Verified it against the part number posted by Xanadu (thanks!).

No problem! Glad to be of assistance. Hopefully we're not going to have to be back here in six months to replace these replacement grips! :wink:

Xan

shawnc
11-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Slightly off topic but I was in Office Depot today to sample the h4150 but none were on display. I took a look at the 2215 and was AMAZED at how light this dual-slot unit is. Significantly lighter than my Axim.

Back on topic, I've had my axim for 2 years and there is absolutely NO issue with the rubber sides. I'm not sure what the issue is with the 2215 but I find it hard to believe that it has anything to do with persperation caused by extensive use.

delfuhd
11-30-2003, 10:40 PM
I believe it is just caused by constant rubbing against the grip. Maybe this is happening because the grips are cheaply made, and the rubber seperates from the plastic easily, that's my guess, because I've used my iPAQ extensively for a couple months, and granted I don't sweat much but still my grips are in very good condition, I ordered the replacement package, and I took one grip off just to make sure I could, and only then did a part of the rubber seperate fromt he plastic, and it's still not that bad.

shawnc
11-30-2003, 11:06 PM
Maybe this is happening because the grips are cheaply made

That's what I was trying to say. But you did it much better :wink:

MyquiH
12-18-2003, 11:20 PM
One option for people that need to get a grip :) is to try any one of the aftermarket cases (so you don't have to jam the thing in and out of the super rigid free case) that let you use the thing right in the case. Go to eBay and search on "ipaq 2215 case" and you'll see a bunch, from metal to rubber to plastic...

Myq

cesarsalmed
03-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Hello everyone.

As the most of you, the side grips of my 2210 are falling appart.

Browsing on PPC sites I´ve found this, that shold be helpfull with this problem.

http://www.pocketpctechs.com/i2200diykit.asp

It cost only $40 bucks and I think I can have now peace of mind. The site offers only (until now) pre orders.

I´ve already order a pair and I expect they arrive to my country by May

Greetings from Mexico
Cesar Salgado

Cesar Salgado

Alan2
03-20-2004, 02:20 AM
Well I only had mine a month. When I call HP Sales (that's their wholy owned subsidiary) I sk the supervisor about ho many people have ben reporting this problem as I saw it as something that was bound to happen when I first boughgt it. He said that I was the first.

BUt he tried to make up for it by saying I could keep the nylon belt holder which caused the problem and when I complained about the dual sync cable, he let me keep that iht a credit (we'll see.)

Anyway this morening the main scoll button was missing when I got to work. I knew that was going to pop off too. But I found it on the floor when I got home and stuck it back on. I'm waiting to lose it again!

How are you guys handling that one? The button has 4 arms to keep it in place and a square female hole to match the male plug in the unit. Has anyone tried some type of glue?

Tks Alan

Alan2
03-20-2004, 03:29 AM
Ok so I got through to tech support in a few minutes this time. And they are sending me a kit that has the rubber grips, screen covers and some other stuff in there. He said they have 130 kits in stock so they must be prepared!

He didn't know if a spare button was in there too but I figured out what popped it off. I inserted the 2215 in the belt case reversed so that the front faced the back(that way it faces you when you pull it out)> Unfortunately, there a little pocket for memory cards in the back and its pocket flap is very thin causing it to get in the space underneath the scroll button and "poppoing" it. So I'll have to insert the 2215 the front way.

If there's anything more of interest in the kit, I'l post it here.

Alan

omikron.sk
03-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Mine side grips are gone, too. But I've also got another problem: my 5-way D-button stopped working (only a middle "Enter" function works). However I think that all this is done only by my not-too-gentle behaviour to my PPC. If you're thinking abuot buying h2210, don't get too scared. If you will behave nicely to your iPaq it will not cause any damage to it at all. I'm actually thinking about buying a new 2210 - so I will have all that I've had before fully functional + 2 batteries + 2 cradles + 2 styluses etc.

Ripper014
03-21-2004, 09:38 PM
The problem with the grips is due to the fact that they were designed poorly. What is happening is at the bottom of the grips is a small tab that locks the grip to the housing. Whenever you pull the unit from the slip case you are pulling agaist the tab and it ultimately breaks from fatigue.

The problem is the material that is being used to produce the grips is not able to stand up to the rigors of daily use. The only way to get around this is to either buy the new metal grips as mention above... but at $40us which would be more than 10% of the cost of my unit (which is more than I would be willing to pay for a design flaw) or to buy a case where you would not need to remove it from the case. My choice would be a Sena case... for $39us... and it will sync in the cradle with the case on.