View Full Version : The End All-Be All Link For HP/Compaq Pocket PC Updates

Ed Hansberry
09-12-2003, 11:30 PM
<a href="http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Product.jsp?prodTypeId=215348&prodCatId=82715&locale=en_US">http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Product.jsp?prodTypeId=215348&prodCatId=82715&locale=en_US</a><br /><br />HP is making progress in consolidating the HP and Compaq file support sites. Many of my old Compaq links have started dying in the past few weeks. Fortunately, HP seems to be consolidating them under one massive iPAQ/Jornada page. You can also get updates to the H/PC and Aero series. They are not completely done. The 3800 series only lists the 3845, a model I've never heard of. Not sure why the 3850 and 3870 are missing in action. Browsing down to the Jornada 565 page, you'll eventually asked if you have Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows ME, Pocket PC 2002 and about 5 other operating systems installed on the Jornada. :lol: Looks like they still have a bit of work to do. :D

qmrq
09-13-2003, 12:43 AM
I hate HPs web team. The site is terrible impossible to find anything, and if you do and bookmark it the link changes in days. :evil:

Let's hope they do better.. hmm.

Jeff Rutledge
09-13-2003, 01:05 AM
The 3800 series only lists the 3845, a model I've never heard of. Not sure why the 3850 and 3870 are missing in action.

There are now links for the 3845 and 3800. If you click the 3800 and then click Drivers, you see a list which includes all the 38XX models.

Ainvar
09-13-2003, 02:57 AM
Yeah there website blows chunks. It is always impossible to find things like you said. It is worse when you even try to search using there search engine. I think they use 12 blind monkies for the web development and 1 deaf monkey to listen to what people want. Every survey they send me I tell them the same thing I should create a script to do the surveys for me.

When searching for information on HP Openview it is worse than when searching for drivers.

Anthony Caruana
09-13-2003, 09:06 AM
When searching for information on HP Openview it is worse than when searching for drivers.

I was trying to buy a Care Pack and the Search Engine on the site (hp.com.au) can't find it. I actually found the care acks this roning by accindent amongst the product accessories.

BTW - the cost of a 12 month care pack that has next day swap for a refurbished unit is 25% the cost of a new device in Austrlaia. Is this in keeping with what is avaialble in other parts of the world

Sven Johannsen
09-13-2003, 06:00 PM
I don't often gripe, but this is one area that has allways irritated me too. HP's layout for owners is abysmal. It's not to bad if you are looking to buy, but after purchase....

I just recently but a refurbished keyboard to use with my HP2215. Emblazoned on the top of it is HP. I went looking for WM2003 drivers for it and couldn't even find mention of it searching on HP's site. Not be part #, not by assorted iterations of name, nada. On a lark I went over to www.compaq .com and had the drivers within minutes, and noticed a tremendous source of information on things called iPAQs that used to be made by a different company. This may not be the case today as this was about a month ago.

Hopefully it will get better.

P.S. I just noticed the link takes you to Business Support. I guess individual consumers don't warrant support :?

qmrq
09-14-2003, 01:27 AM
P.S. I just noticed the link takes you to Business Support. I guess individual consumers don't warrant support :?

Also.. they seem to sell "Handhelds for Home and Office use", and "Business handhelds". What is the difference?! Such stupid things like that just really get to me. :roll:

cgavula
09-15-2003, 01:09 PM
The old site for the 5550 and 5555 list current drivers (like the WiFi updates for LEAP, etc. The new site says there are no drivers.

And they claim the new site is an improvement. Some improvement if you can't get to any drivers from it.

The HP web site has always been bad and now it's even worse as far as I'm concerned. Good thing I saved the links for the old 5555 page so I can still get SOME service!

--Chris

Eitel
09-15-2003, 08:41 PM
In case anyone wants it, this is the page that I always go for all my HP/Compaq updates.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/index.html

qmrq
09-16-2003, 12:19 AM
The HP web site has always been bad and now it's even worse as far as I'm concerned. Good thing I saved the links for the old 5555 page so I can still get SOME service!

I just downloaded everything I could from the site with wget :-P I don't want to spend another few hours of my life trying to find some teeny little update. :( :roll:

bradolson
09-17-2003, 03:56 AM
you would think something as simple as a download site wouldn't be that hard to create in a way that is easy to navigate. you have a file, you have devices that it works with, and you put everything in a database. simple.

midtoad
10-19-2003, 08:59 AM
I have an Aero 2100 that a friend gave to me. It used to have PPC 2000 on it, but after a hard reset, it's back to CE 3.0. Where can I find an upgrade to PPC 2000? There's nothing on Compaq's or HP's website now.

thanks
Stewart in Calgary

Ed Hansberry
10-19-2003, 02:05 PM
I have an Aero 2100 that a friend gave to me. It used to have PPC 2000 on it, but after a hard reset, it's back to CE 3.0. Where can I find an upgrade to PPC 2000? There's nothing on Compaq's or HP's website now.

thanks
Stewart in Calgary
The Aero originally came with the Palm-sized PC interface based on Windows CE 2.11. Pocket PC 2000 is based on Windows CE 3.0. The only thing you lost after the hard reset is all of your settings, data and any applications you installed. You still have Pocket PC 2000 in ROM.