View Full Version : Detailed Bluetooth Guides at Geekzone.co.nz

Jason Dunn
09-12-2003, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449' target='_blank'>http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.a...p?contentid=449</a><br /><br /></div>Geekzone.com has put together some very impressive guidelines for getting a variety of Bluetooth scenarios working. In fact, I'm so jazzed about these great guides, I'm going to give Bluetooth another try. I have an <a href="http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GBU301">Iogear Bluetooth USB adaptor</a> that I'm going to try and get to work with my desktop PC and iPAQ 2215. I didn't have much success with it last time, but I'm willing to give it another go. Wish me luck! If you'd like to get your Bluetooth devices working, stop by these excellent step by step guides at Geekzone.com.

JonnoB
09-12-2003, 09:06 PM
I have the exact same setup (IOGear USB BT adaptor and 221x)...

Although I could get them to work, what a pain to get wirless activesync working! I still prefer to stick in my symbol WiFi card and sync via RAS. It is less painless, more plug and play and the increased power drain is replaced by a shorter sync time.

OT: Does anyone know of a way to keep an Activesync connection alive when switching between users on WinXP?

PPCRules
09-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Should it really take all this to make bluetooth work?

There, I said it; everyone was thinking that anyway.

rpommier
09-12-2003, 09:30 PM

My thoughts exactly! Freitas and his site were a tremendous help, but bluetooth has very long way to go before mere mortals can deal with it.

I have the belkin F8T001 and it was a chore to get Network Access going with my router. In Bluetooth's defense, it's now my primary wireless solution in my home. Its very convenient with my 2210.

Rod

DubWireless
09-12-2003, 09:50 PM

unfortunately on Windows it can, and factor in the various Bluetooth stacks/clients provided by fifferent vendors with their equipment as it's not part of the operating system and that compounds the problem :(

although once set-up it usually works a charm and you can forget about it - some vendors are building on 'helpers', for example TDK to provide wizards to help get symbian smartphones working easily, others profide a step-by-step guide in PDF format (although usually hidden in the install folder!)

the MAC has a nice Bluetooth implementation in OS X (10.2+), but it needs to build in support for some more profiles...

Jason Dunn
09-12-2003, 09:58 PM

No, but until Microsoft builds it into the OS, this ugly patch-work is the best we can do. &lt;sigh> Sad, isn't it?

Jason Dunn
09-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Ok, first snag. Getting the network connection going so I can surf the Web on my 2215 wasn't too painful. Mildly so, but it now works. The problem I have is that I can't seem to get the ActiveSync connection working. On the iPAQ, it seems that COM5 and COM8 are use for ActiveSync. On my desktop PC, I've tried setting ActiveSync to listen on COM5 and COM8 - no dice. I also looked at the settings for the serial ports on my Iogear dongle, and COM8 didn't work, and I can't select COM5 - it seems to be reserved somehow.

Any ideas? I have to admit I was pretty amazed at the speed and distance I could go with the Bluetooth Web surfing... 8O

Jason Dunn
09-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Hmm. Ok, I managed to click around a little while longer and I can now ActiveSync via Bluetooth. Woo hoo! :mrgreen: Still, it should be much easier than this. 8O

nic
09-12-2003, 10:26 PM
From my experiences this is the most painless way to get most bluetooth things working through PPC2003:
after you "couple" your 2 bluetooth devices do explore a bluetooth device from your pocket pc and go through that to find the bluetooth services running on your desktop. Not the other way around.

With my D-Link dongle, it was the only way I could create a network access connection. I tried through the desktop interface, and through the PPC network access wizard and those didn't work for me.

bspline
09-12-2003, 10:26 PM
Glad you got it.
I actually had more problems with the network connection than with the activesync, but ultimately can surf through both now :)
Despite everybody complaining about ease (or lack of thereof), I'm not familiar with actual wi-fi setups, but I gather configuring your own, in-house wi-fi network can't be much easier (or comolex) than bluetooth.

JonnoB
09-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Despite everybody complaining about ease (or lack of thereof), I'm not familiar with actual wi-fi setups, but I gather configuring your own, in-house wi-fi network can't be much easier (or comolex) than bluetooth.

WiFi was a pain in the beginning (years ago), but with OS (WinXP) support natively and wirless routers pretty much plug and play, setting up WiFi is extremely easy. Hopefully BT gets to that level of simplicity someday.

ojlittle
09-12-2003, 10:54 PM
Since we're on wireless topics, I have a question. Does anyone know why my wireless devices (PPC included) will surf fine & then lose the ability to communicate with the router for no apparent reason? When they lose communication they still show good signal strength & they still have an IP address & all that stuff. I figure the problems are on the router but I can't figure out what it is. The router will also reset automatically every once in a while. The PC's that are hardwired into it will show that the LAN is down. I have a Linksys wireless AP + router & Linksys wi-fi extender. I have two PC's hooked up via ethernet, two Tivo's with wireless connections, an iBook with a wireless connection, a Dell Latitude with built-in wireless, an iPAQ 2210 with wireless CF card, & a Sony UX-50 with built-in wi-fi. Any help would be appreciated.

Jason Dunn
09-12-2003, 10:56 PM

In my experience, setting up Wi-Fi is much simpler than setting up Bluetooth. But as someone else pointed out, Windows XP has native 802.11 support, and hopefully Bluetooth will evolve and mature to the same level as well.

ctmagnus
09-12-2003, 11:02 PM
I have an Iogear Bluetooth USB adaptor (http://www.iogear.com/products/product.php?Item=GBU301) that I'm going to try and get to work with my desktop PC and iPAQ 2215.

That thing looks like it would take up two USB ports on a typical hub. three if it isn't using an end port.

ctmagnus
09-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Since we're on wireless topics, I have a question. Does anyone know why my wireless devices (PPC included) will surf fine & then lose the ability to communicate with the router for no apparent reason? When they lose communication they still show good signal strength & they still have an IP address & all that stuff. I figure the problems are on the router but I can't figure out what it is. The router will also reset automatically every once in a while. The PC's that are hardwired into it will show that the LAN is down. I have a Linksys wireless AP + router & Linksys wi-fi extender. I have two PC's hooked up via ethernet, two Tivo's with wireless connections, an iBook with a wireless connection, a Dell Latitude with built-in wireless, an iPAQ 2210 with wireless CF card, & a Sony UX-50 with built-in wi-fi. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have any neighbors who might be playing with it?

mjhamson
09-12-2003, 11:12 PM
Jason, which stack does the IOGear use? I have a BT dongle the uses the Widcomm stack. I found that getting BT ActiveSync to work was a snap (I activate the sync/connection via the BT Manager on my iPAQ.).

-Michael

ojlittle
09-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Do you have any neighbors who might be playing with it?

My network in encrypted, 128bit. There is one other wireless network within range & it is encrypted as well. I haven't seen any new IP addresses in my DHCP list.

cyclwestks
09-13-2003, 12:00 AM
I was another one who used this website http://home.comcast.net/~spam-target/activesync.html
to setup my 1940 & Belkin usb adapter, & everything went like clockwork. But for the average non-computer people out there, I'm sure most would just give up.

freitasm
09-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Ok, first snag. Getting the network connection going so I can surf the Web on my 2215 wasn't too painful. Mildly so, but it now works. The problem I have is that I can't seem to get the ActiveSync connection working. On the iPAQ, it seems that COM5 and COM8 are use for ActiveSync. On my desktop PC, I've tried setting ActiveSync to listen on COM5 and COM8 - no dice. I also looked at the settings for the serial ports on my Iogear dongle, and COM8 didn't work, and I can't select COM5 - it seems to be reserved somehow.

Any ideas? I have to admit I was pretty amazed at the speed and distance I could go with the Bluetooth Web surfing... 8O

I know you've sorted this now, but for the record: don't worry about the PPC COM ports. It's all on the server side. Find what's the Serial Service COM port, select this one on ActiveSync and start the sync form the PPC.

The host computer does not need to know what are the ports used on the Pocket PC side.

As I said glad it's working!

Jason Dunn
09-13-2003, 01:00 AM
That thing looks like it would take up two USB ports on a typical hub. three if it isn't using an end port.

Yup. But it comes with a USB extension cable, so it's sitting on my floor right now, away from everything. :-)

Bajan Cherry
09-13-2003, 04:26 AM
I recently developed a product for my client who is now deploying it (or trying very hard to deploy) at the sites of his clients. The product basically allows retailers to create various promotional messages and/or coupons. These coupons/messages are broadcast to any consumer with BT enabled phone or PDAs. The consumer can later redeem the coupon and enjoy promotional offers.

Check out www.cleveroak.com for more details.

BT is beautiful. I am sold to it...

Ipaq2210
09-13-2003, 08:27 AM
I must admit I run BT and WIFI on my HP2210, and I just love the fact the BT means that I don't have anything sticking out the top of that handsome device. One thing I really would like to know is how you get the BT connection to "autostart" without having to goto the BT manager and "connecting" the correct device. Please excuse me if I'm missing the obvious

Thanks

freitasm
09-13-2003, 09:51 AM
I must admit I run BT and WIFI on my HP2210, and I just love the fact the BT means that I don't have anything sticking out the top of that handsome device. One thing I really would like to know is how you get the BT connection to "autostart" without having to goto the BT manager and "connecting" the correct device. Please excuse me if I'm missing the obvious

Thanks

If the BT connection is the only one you have defined, your device will connect automagically when you need it. This is not the case if you have another connection defined - a dial up or wi-fi for instance.

natgild
09-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Great, now is it posssilbe to make a Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse work with the TDK(or any other) dongle?

freitasm
09-13-2003, 10:57 PM
Great, now is it posssilbe to make a Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse work with the TDK(or any other) dongle?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=8&TopicId=393

Not my authorship, one of my users found this. You'll have to found the files needed, some have been moved.

MichaelA
09-13-2003, 11:06 PM
I don't actually have my BT device yet (I've got an ASUS A620BT on order), but I'm curious what I should be looking for in terms of a USB to BT adaptor for my PC. There seem to be a number of different types of adaptors from different manufacturers, but are there certain brands that people have found more reliable than others? What about range? Is the range data posted on manufacturer's websites to be believed? Are these things really so varied or are they all pretty much the same? Finally, are there certain brands that don't work well (or at all?)

Thanks!

freitasm
09-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Raqnge is a problem. Some devices have 10m others 100m. The maximum range will be the shortest one. If you buy a 100m range dongle, your 10m range DPA will only work up to 10m - the dongle can send up to 100m but the PDA only to 10m. Buy the 10m ones I say, unless you have two 100m devices (for a laptop network for instance).

Brands? I have two brands I use and I think are the best ones: TDK and Bluetake. Wouldn't change for anything.

This is because of support, manufacturing quality, original product ideas, etc...

Jason Dunn
09-14-2003, 03:28 AM
Raqnge is a problem. Some devices have 10m others 100m. The maximum range will be the shortest one. If you buy a 100m range dongle, your 10m range DPA will only work up to 10m

Really? I always thought if you had a 100m device it meant your 10m device would work up to 100m away. I could use my Pocket PC up on the top floor of my house, and the BT dongle is in my basement...much more than 30 feet...!? I know you're the Bluetooth expert, but what you're saying doesn't match up with what I'm seeing here.

caywen
09-14-2003, 04:03 AM
Raqnge is a problem. Some devices have 10m others 100m. The maximum range will be the shortest one. If you buy a 100m range dongle, your 10m range DPA will only work up to 10m

Really? I always thought if you had a 100m device it meant your 10m device would work up to 100m away. I could use my Pocket PC up on the top floor of my house, and the BT dongle is in my basement...much more than 30 feet...!? I know you're the Bluetooth expert, but what you're saying doesn't match up with what I'm seeing here.

I'm no BT expert either, but my theory is that a 100m device means it not only has the ability to transmit 100m, but also has a more sensitive antenna that can receive from longer distances.

It's not like radio signals just stop in mid air. I think they dissipate over long distances, and the ability to detect them only depends on the size of the antenna.

freitasm
09-14-2003, 04:49 AM
The 10m and 100m are the minimum the devices have to achieve to be classified as class 2 or 1. Some 10m devices actually go quite far - even 50m!

I also heard and read about the more sensitive reception on 100m devices. But I'm still not convinced.

The way I see things are like this:

Two offices A and B are 100km apart. Office A sends a courier driving car A' with enough petrol to drive 100km. Off he goes, and reaches office B with a message.

He's tired, and office B will send back another courier, this time with car B'. But they forgot to check the tank and the car only drives 10km.

Result? Office B receives the message, but the ACK never gets back to office A.

I know it's a simplistic exhibition, but it's how I understand this working :lol:

Now, if anyone with electronics degree - not an IT like me, can come up with the real explanation...

surur
09-14-2003, 10:16 AM
The 10m and 100m are the minimum the devices have to achieve to be classified as class 2 or 1. Some 10m devices actually go quite far - even 50m!

I also heard and read about the more sensitive reception on 100m devices. But I'm still not convinced.

The way I see things are like this:

Two offices A and B are 100km apart. Office A sends a courier driving car A' with enough petrol to drive 100km. Off he goes, and reaches office B with a message.

He's tired, and office B will send back another courier, this time with car B'. But they forgot to check the tank and the car only drives 10km.

Result? Office B receives the message, but the ACK never gets back to office A.

I know it's a simplistic exhibition, but it's how I understand this working :lol:

Now, if anyone with electronics degree - not an IT like me, can come up with the real explanation...

I think your explanation implies the radio waves just stop at say 10 meters, but of course they go on to infinity, just weaker and weaker.

As someone said above, I think the class one devices have stonger transmitters and much more sensitive receivers. The analogy would be 2 people in a field, shouting at each other. One has only his voice and his ears, but the other one had a megaphone and sensitive directional microphone to hear the other guy. They should still be able to communicate well outside of the range of 2 people just shouting with their voices and ears.

Anyways, thats my understanding. Can anyone confirm this?

Surur

freitasm
09-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks for clarifying that, Surur. I don't think it just stops at 10m, but it gets weaker, to a point that might not be perceivable to the receiver on the other side. I'll try to get in contact with an eletronic engineer and confirm all this :roll:

cyclwestks
09-14-2003, 11:20 PM
I don't know if this makes any sense, or if I can even explain it the way I read it explained, but --- on another site a person that had helped many setup their bluetooth devices says to think the USB adapter sending out its signal in a 100 meter sphere (depending on obstacles), & the PPC sending out it's signal 10 meters sphere (depending), & as long as the 2 intersect you should connect. He was even artistic enough to draw diagrams.

freitasm
09-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Wow... This is the last (for a couple of months I think) Bluetooth Guide for WM 2003: dial up with a Bluetooth mobile phone.

I used a Nokia 3650 to connect the Pokcet PC to our GPRS network. Actually the screenshots were all captured at the same time I was writing the other guides, but I postponed this one - too tired at the time to write anything else.

Now on to the Sony Ericsson guides...

Enjoy.