View Full Version : pocketnow.com Reviews SanDisk Wi-Fi SD Card

Jason Dunn
09-11-2003, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=reviews&id=281' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketnow.com/index.php?...=reviews&id=281</a><br /><br /></div>Want to see what Derek Snyder, Chief Executive Officer of pocketnow.com has to say about the Sandisk SD WiFi card? Stop by and check out the review. It's perhaps the shortest review I've ever seen published on pocketnow.com. :lol:

trachy
09-11-2003, 08:21 PM
SETUP

Setup was cake. SanDisk included a CD with the necessary drivers for both Pocket PC 2002 and Pocket PC 2003. All you need is a hard reset and you're good to go.

Man, I hope this is a typo. 8O :wink:

Steven Cedrone
09-11-2003, 08:24 PM
SETUP

Setup was cake. SanDisk included a CD with the necessary drivers for both Pocket PC 2002 and Pocket PC 2003. All you need is a hard reset and you're good to go.

I take it he meant soft reset... :wink:

Steve

Steven Cedrone
09-11-2003, 08:25 PM

You beat me to it... :wink:

Steve

dh
09-11-2003, 08:29 PM
But who wants to walk around with a long thingy sticking out? If you take it out you lose your memory. Sorry, either a two slot device or embedded WiFi makes much more sense.

Also shouldn't a site called Pocket Now work a bit better in POCKET IE?

trachy
09-11-2003, 08:29 PM

You beat me to it... :wink:

Steve

Community = 1, Steve = 1,667

ctmagnus
09-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Unit speed and performance drops when WiFi is turned on

That is not good. I was actually considering getting one of these (three WiFi interfaces in one unit - W?BIC!) but if there's a performance hit, I'll stick with two interfaces (if I ever get around to installing the Orinoco drivers ;) )

caywen
09-11-2003, 11:21 PM
Hmm, $130. Let's see...

If you want to Wifi at your McD's, Starbucks, or airport, then I guess it might be worth it. However, you have to factor in your provider service costs. So, over 1 year, ~$25/mo:

$130 + 12 * $25 = $430

Is $430 worth it for 1 year of service? For me, no, but I guess if your company is picking up the tab, then why not. But then, if you company is picking up the tab, you should probably get a bigger, more capable PocketPC anyways.

For household handhold web browsing:

For $40, I can buy a Belkin 100M range USB Bluetooth PC adapter. It has the same range as your standard WiFi access point, and you can do all the same things. 768Kbps isn't blazing, but it seems to be quite zippy for me when I web browse. Plus, since an iPaq 1945 has BT built in, there's no system slowdown, and less impact on battery life. And it doesn't stick out the top. Finally, I can keep my SDIO slot doing something else more useful (256MB SD card, GPS, etc)

So, for me, I get 80% the benefit at 10% the cost by sticking with BT.

T-Will
09-12-2003, 12:51 AM
I'm hoping the slowdown with the card is a bug in the driver. Does anyone know if an SDIO port takes extra processing power?

Also, I'm glad to see SDIO hardware finally available, but can HP please just build a small Pocket PC with WiFi built-in? I'd kill for a WiFi 2200!

boldbidder
09-12-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm hoping the slowdown with the card is a bug in the driver. Does anyone know if an SDIO port takes extra processing power?

Also, I'm glad to see SDIO hardware finally available, but can HP please just build a small Pocket PC with WiFi built-in? I'd kill for a WiFi 2200!

Isn't the upcoming 4xxx series going to incorporate BT & WiFi in a similar form factor as the 22xx?

T-Will
09-12-2003, 07:00 PM

Isn't the upcoming 4xxx series going to incorporate BT & WiFi in a similar form factor as the 22xx?

That video of the 4xxx makes it look huge. My ideal Pocket PC would be the 19xx form factor with SDIO, WiFi, 128 MB RAM, 400+MHz processor, and at least the 2xxx battery life.