View Full Version : The Next Generation: HP Ipaq H2210/H2215

Jason Dunn
09-10-2003, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tomshardware.com/newsletter/vol3/36/ipaq.html' target='_blank'>http://www.tomshardware.com/newslet...l3/36/ipaq.html</a><br /><br /></div>"The well-known and much praised design of the Ipaq 3-series has had its day. The world's most successful Pocket PC family, according to Dataquest Gartner, now has a new family member - the 22xx series. HP has just launched the first model in this new product line - the Ipaq H2210/2215. The fact that the models H2210 and H2215 are basically the same product is bound to lead to some customer confusion. The H2215 is being distributed through retail channels, while the H2210 is targeted at business customers."<br /><br />It's always interesting to read Pocket PC reviews by non-PDA sites, because there will almost always be subtle errors. I'm sure camera review site owners groan in the same way when I talk about cameras here. ;-) The authors of this article state that Windows Mobile 2003 has been "finally been optimized for XScale processors", which is false. Windows Mobile 2003 has been optimized for the ARM5 instruction yet, which will benefit the XScale CPU, but also the Samsung and any other ARM5 processor. It's a subtle, but important difference. If Microsoft chose to optimize for one CPU from one vendor, they'd be placing a big bet on that one chip. Optimizing for the instruction set instead of a single CPU is a smarter move.<br /><br />Still, this is a good article if only for the benchmarking data - they've cooked up their own benchmarking tool, so the data is different than what most of you have seen.

Kati Compton
09-10-2003, 03:35 PM
I'm very surprised about the battery results. My experience has the Axim lasting much longer than those results indicate...

maximus
09-10-2003, 04:14 PM
I'm very surprised about the battery results. My experience has the Axim lasting much longer than those results indicate...

Yup. With the standard battery, I experienced at least 7-8 hours with Running Voice GSM running.

The Half-Ling
09-10-2003, 04:21 PM
i saw a rather odd error in MobilePlanet catolog week. they were advertising the 5100 series iPAQ and as a picture they put a 5500 without the antenna. it was like a 5100 w/ fingerprint reader lol...

Cheers,
Jake-

Jonathan1
09-10-2003, 05:00 PM
"I'm sure camera review site owners groan in the same way when I talk about cameras here. ;-)

Remember Jason. The big barrely thing points out at your subject ;) :D

:oops: Sorry I couldn't help myself.

ppcsurfr
09-11-2003, 02:56 PM
ARM 5 Instruction set?

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Jason Dunn
09-11-2003, 03:09 PM
ARM 5 Instruction set?

Was there a question in there? :D

ppcsurfr
09-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Well, I thought the SA1110 didn't support the ARM5 Instruction set...

It's just a wonder then that even processors which are designed for the ARM v4 instruction set run pretty well too...

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo