View Full Version : More discussions about Pocket PC's in movies...

AKBishop
09-09-2003, 09:31 PM
I guess ppc's just can't cut it in the movie industry. Damned physically biased hollywood people.

One of the James Bond movies used an HP to defuse a bomb. (or maybe they armed the bomb with it... can't remember).

dean_shan
09-09-2003, 09:37 PM
palm is still in the market because of it's simplistic use and slim design. I feel rather stupid with a bulging Dell PDA coming out of my pocket =)

I watched Solaris about a week ago and noticed a sony clie model was being toyed around with briefly by the character played by George Clooney. I have yet to see a movie that shows ppc in use.

I guess ppc's just can't cut it in the movie industry. Damned physically biased hollywood people.

Robert Huie

I have seen PPC in a lot of movies. Here is an old thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67518&highlight=#67518) on it. In movies they use a PPC whe nthey need a cool screen shot.

bjornkeizers
09-09-2003, 09:41 PM
One of the James Bond movies used an HP to defuse a bomb. (or maybe they armed the bomb with it... can't remember).

That was a HP Jornada [a very old one] in The world is not enough, and yes, it was used to defuse a bomb.

And I think there was a CE device in an an episode of ER as well.. but it's been ages since I've last seen it.

hindencm
09-10-2003, 12:27 AM

That was a HP Jornada [a very old one] in The world is not enough, and yes, it was used to defuse a bomb.

And I think there was a CE device in an an episode of ER as well.. but it's been ages since I've last seen it.

It seems that an hp 19xx is also used in the tv show "Las Vegas" to view a video from a tiny camera on the fingertip of a guy playing cards.

Cypher
09-10-2003, 01:56 AM
I watched Solaris about a week ago and noticed a sony clie model was being toyed around with briefly by the character played by George Clooney. I have yet to see a movie that shows ppc in use.

Robert Huie

In "Sum of All Fears" you'll see a Casio Pocket PC early on. (Clark says "I've got to get one of those... I don't even have e-mail.") Later on a Palm is used in a rather unlikely ping-pong instant messaging conversation between Ryan and Spinaker.

In "The World is Not Enough" you'll see an HP 430SE (Palm-sized PC) used to attempt to defuse an atomic bomb. You probably were watching the young lady, not her hand-held ;)

Which brings up an interesting contest: I wonder who can name the largest number of Windows CE machines which make cameos in movies.

gohtor
09-10-2003, 06:30 AM
In "Sum of All Fears" you'll see a Casio Pocket PC early on. (Clark says "I've got to get one of those... I don't even have e-mail.") Later on a Palm is used in a rather unlikely ping-pong instant messaging conversation between Ryan and Spinaker.

Oh yeah I do recall that. lol I missed my casio...

AhuhX
09-10-2003, 09:18 AM
An E105 also featured in the orginal Charlie's Angels flick... :D

...although they did have a Visor in there as well.

Steven Cedrone
09-10-2003, 12:09 PM
Discussion split from here... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17826&highlight=)

Gothor and AhuhX: read your PM...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

townsendtribe
09-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Anybody watch Big Fat Liar with their kids? The kids steal the "Bad Guy's" iPAQ 3600 and use his schedule against him.

JustinGTP
09-10-2003, 11:07 PM
And that iPAQ had the IR to unlock his Jaq XKR and other stuff.

That movie was okay.

-Justin.

Kash76
09-11-2003, 03:08 PM
The physiologist in nip/tuck used one to lookup a number in one episode :) Great show by the way!

Jereboam
09-11-2003, 06:43 PM
The second series of 24 has a Pocket PC used as a countdown timer (won't tell you why in case you got trapped in a cave and haven't seen it yet) which is pretty cool. The program writer uses it as blurb too...found the site but can't remember it now.

J

JustinGTP
09-12-2003, 11:42 PM
The movie where the Ipaq 5400 series was used in was "Freaky Friday" The mother, who is a physcologist, has that pda and a million other of devices to remind her of her busy professional life. Her iPAQ has a vibrator in it aswell!

-Justin.