View Full Version : The Death of the Greenback: America Gets Colored Money

Pat Logsdon
09-10-2003, 12:15 AM
An article on CNN (http://money.cnn.com/2003/09/09/pf/banking/new_20_launches/index.htm) reports that the uniformly green US $20 bill will be infused with peach, blue, and different shades of green. The new bills will be distributed starting on October 9th.

Here's what it looks like:

Front:
http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/13/news/economy/twenty/20_front.jpg

Back:
http://money.cnn.com/2003/05/13/news/economy/twenty/20_back.jpg

Personally, I suspect Canada's nefarious influence - they've had colored money for years... :mrgreen:

Kati Compton
09-10-2003, 12:25 AM
The color is pretty subtle - our money will still be pretty boring.

As for Canadian influence - it's clear. Notice the lower right corner of the back (also on current money)? That's the Canadian $ font. At least, it was until recently when they got a new design and changed it slightly to have slightly more distinct "corners". Maybe they didn't like sharing a font with the States. ;)

Video11
09-10-2003, 12:37 AM
In best Dr Evil laugh: "Bwahahahaha! That was the Canadians evil plan all along" :D

Seriously, I don't know how Americans can keep their bills straight when they are all the same colour. Of course at the rate we are going pretty soon all we will have in Canada is coins.

GoldKey
09-10-2003, 01:09 AM
Very rarely use physical money anyway. But, I have always wondered why don't we just cut the size of our paper currency in half. It should cost less to make etc.

dean_shan
09-10-2003, 01:22 AM

I like the way our money looks. I like how it is not super busy and colorful like some other countries are. I am glad that even though they are adding color it still has a classic look to it. When I first heard they were going to add color (I think they announced in may??) I was upset until I saw a sample of it. Those darn media people hyped the headline up to sound like that whole thing was going to look like a monopoly dollar.

dean_shan
09-10-2003, 01:27 AM
In best Dr Evil laugh: "Bwahahahaha! That was the Canadians evil plan all along" :D
Yeah those punk Canadians. Pretty soon we are going to have our milk in a bag (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17635&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) too. :wink:

Seriously, I don't know how Americans can keep their bills straight when they are all the same colour. Of course at the rate we are going pretty soon all we will have in Canada is coins.

You can tell because of the numbers on them. Duh! :roll:

No seriously I have heard that a lot from people who use colored money. You are right. If you need to buy somthing and you need a partictular bill so you don't have to break a large one you have to flip through all the bills in your wallet.

dean_shan
09-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Very rarely use physical money anyway.
Same here I always use my bank card.

But, I have always wondered why don't we just cut the size of our paper currency in half. It should cost less to make etc.
What!?! 8O And make my wallet obsolete! :wink:

Janak Parekh
09-10-2003, 06:11 AM
dean_shan, you've hit upon something. It's a conspiracy by the wallet manufacturers in this country. :lol:

--janak

Video11
09-10-2003, 11:52 AM
dean_shan, you've hit upon something. It's a conspiracy by the wallet manufacturers in this country. :lol:

--janak

Canadian wallet manufacturers? :lol:

maximus
09-10-2003, 12:01 PM
What!?! 8O And make my wallet obsolete! :wink:

No no. So that you can carry twice as much, have twice the income, pay twice the taxes, etc.

David Prahl
09-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Maybe I can get a review unit! :lol:

Of course, I'll want to write a comparison review of ALL of the bills...

Kati Compton
09-11-2003, 02:05 PM

And you'll want several data points for each bill, to make sure the markings are consistent....

maximus
09-12-2003, 02:41 AM

And you'll want several data points for each bill, to make sure the markings are consistent....

And to make your review statistically correct, you should review bills with larger amount also .. let say the $1000 bills ?

But of course, you can only start your review, after your current review is posted. :mrgreen:

Bruno Figueiredo
09-12-2003, 02:12 PM
I just love euro money the way it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/furniture/in_depth/business/2001/euro_cash/notes.jpg

karen
09-12-2003, 06:34 PM

As for Canadian influence - it's clear. Notice the lower right corner of the back (also on current money)? That's the Canadian $ font. At least, it was until recently when they got a new design and changed it slightly to have slightly more distinct "corners". Maybe they didn't like sharing a font with the States. ;)

Try this trick:

- go out 'socializing' at your favourite establishment.
- Socialize just a bit more than you planned.
- call a taxi
- get the driver to take you home.
- open your wallet that is crammed full of US and Canadian cash
- pull out the Canadian twenty, decide the guy needs a really nice tip for putting up with your inane chatter, so you give him the whole twenty.
- Just as you are waving him goodbye, watch him smiling and drooling over that NEW US 20 you gave him because those damn number are exactly the same....

POOF! you made $10 disappear without even trying.

:oops:

maximus
09-15-2003, 07:08 AM
I just love euro money the way it is:

Euro is nice. You can travel to more than 10 countries, and you only need one currency. Try doing a trip to 10 different asian countries, and you will get a bag of coins at the end of your travel.

It is interesting to see that Euro is currently overvalued the USD.

Bruno Figueiredo
09-15-2003, 10:30 AM
Actually it's 15 countries and counting. The Euro is beginning to be accepted worldwide as the dollar is.

FredMurphy
09-15-2003, 11:46 AM

You can tell because of the numbers on them. Duh! :roll:

What about the visually impaired, or just people who just aren't looking very carefully? No really all that practical.

There is also the problem that lower denomination bills can (and have) been bleached to provide the paper to print larger bills on. Not only are the the same colour but the same size too. :roll: One of the techniques used to combat conterfeiting is to restict the supply of the special paper used for notes.

I still think the Australian plastic bills are the best.