View Full Version : software to reformat flash card??

rein
09-09-2003, 04:01 AM
Dell Axim X5 still with pocket pc 2002

I have recently installed a program (tower mogul) to my 256mb SD card. The game ran fine. I then shut down the game and later went to play again. I got a message that the game was not there. I went to view my SD card through file explorer and everything was gone. I went to memory manager and it still shows the amount of disk space on the SD card being used by the programs that are on it. So, to sum it up. Using file explorer nothing is showing up on my SD card. However, in memory manager the space that should be taken up by the programs is missing from the card. Is there a program that will allow me to re-flash the SD card to reclaim the lost space that does not show up? ArggggHH!! I just want my space back and I think I will only install tower mogul in default location next time.

Anthony Caruana
09-09-2003, 05:13 AM
Take a look at Flash Format (http://www.cnetx.com/format/)

The other (my preferred) alternative is to by a reader for your card and format it on your PC.

Regards

rein
09-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks... I will go pick up a reader today.

beckp
09-09-2003, 02:28 PM
I had an issue where my SD card froze while installing some GPS maps.... It locked up the PPC real good each time it was inserted. Bought the Scandisk multi card reader (has them all) for $29.99 at Costco. Poped the SD card in, saw it fine, reformated and it's happy in the PPC.

Moral, card reader is must to have, while scandisk cards aren't so good I like the reader a lot.

seidler
09-09-2003, 03:02 PM
I think even better than Flash Format is http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html. It's really good, can defragment flash cards too.

ciao Stefan

rein
09-13-2003, 03:58 AM
Still can't recover all of the lost space. I bought a reader and it formats the card fine. However, it only formats the part of the card that I did not lose. It just seems like I have lost close to 16 MB of space that I will never get back. No matter what I read the card in now, it only reads as 240 MB. Also, should I be formatting it as FAT 32 or just the FAT format? Does it really matter? Thanks for any help or info that could help me recover the lost space.

ctmagnus
09-13-2003, 04:26 AM
Still can't recover all of the lost space. I bought a reader and it formats the card fine. However, it only formats the part of the card that I did not lose. It just seems like I have lost close to 16 MB of space that I will never get back. No matter what I read the card in now, it only reads as 240 MB. Also, should I be formatting it as FAT 32 or just the FAT format? Does it really matter? Thanks for any help or info that could help me recover the lost space.

a 256MB SD card only has 240MB accessible to begin with. Something to do with filesystem overhead, the binary system, etc. 1.44MB floppies are actually 2.0MB when they're unformatted, so you're not losing as much as you could.