View Full Version : My iPaq doesn't like my SD card any more

dlauri
09-08-2003, 10:29 PM
I have a SanDisk 256MB SD card which I've used without any problems for several months with my iPaq 3955.

Yesterday however when I turned on my iPaq I got the message "Storage Card Warning /Would you like the system to format the Storage Card folder so that the system can use it? /WARNING: If you select Yes, any files in the Storage Card folder will be erased!"

I didn't want to format the card so I put it into its USB adapter and connected it to my notebook. My notebook was able to see the files on the card. I copied all the files to a folder on my hard drive to back them up.

I put the card back into the iPaq and got the same message. This time I clicked Y to format the card and got another message: "Storage Card Warning / An error occurred while formatting the Storage Card folder (error code 0)."

I looked in the forums here and found a post about a similar problem suggesting formatting the SD using the notebook, so I put my card back in the USB adapater, connected it to my notebook and formatted the card. I copied the files back to it without any problem. But when I put the card back in the iPaq the original warning (see above) comes up.

I know the card works because I can read and write to it when it's in my notebook. I think my SD slot in my iPaq works because I can use my new SanDisk WiFi card.

Any suggestions?

Steven Cedrone
09-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Soft reset???

Steve

dlauri
09-09-2003, 01:11 AM
Soft reset???

Tried that before going through all of the other stuff, and again afterwards, to no avail.

Steven Cedrone
09-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Hard reset??? :wink:

Do you have another Pocket PC to put the card in? If not, go to CompUSA and put the card in some other PDA's...

If you can read from it, I would try a hard reset (Just make sure you do a back up first...

Steve

maximus
09-09-2003, 01:55 AM
Yesterday however when I turned on my iPaq I got the message "Storage Card Warning /Would you like the system to format the Storage Card folder so that the system can use it? /WARNING: If you select Yes, any files in the Storage Card folder will be erased!"

.. snip..

Any suggestions?

Select 'NO' ?

I once got that notice on my Lexar 256, I selected 'NO', and everything went back to normal.

dlauri
09-09-2003, 02:13 AM
I once got that notice on my Lexar 256, I selected 'NO', and everything went back to normal."
Selecting "no" didn't work for me.

Do you have another Pocket PC to put the card in? If not, go to CompUSA and put the card in some other PDA's...

If you can read from it, I would try a hard reset (Just make sure you do a back up first...
I don't have another Pocket PC handy but it doesn't matter. HP tells me that my Windows Mobile 2003 update will arrive tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out if a hard reset will fix it.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Steven Cedrone
09-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Good luck!!! Let us know how it turns out...

Steve

Sven Johannsen
09-09-2003, 05:03 AM
I wouldn't rule out a defective SD card even if it does work in the laptop. I've had SD cards work in one USB reader but clain to be write protected in another identical reader, work in one PPC and not another. Only had that sort of thing happen with Sandisk cards though. I think your PPC just has good taste.

ctmagnus
09-09-2003, 11:05 PM
My iPaq was actually spitting the card back out at me today! I fished around in the slot with the toothpick from a swiss army knife and all is well now.

dlauri
09-11-2003, 03:03 AM
I wouldn't rule out a defective SD card even if it does work in the laptop. I've had SD cards work in one USB reader but clain to be write protected in another identical reader, work in one PPC and not another. Only had that sort of thing happen with Sandisk cards though. I think your PPC just has good taste.

Unfortunately you're right. I got my Pocket PC 2003 upgrade, and after installing it, my iPaq still doesn't like the SD card. Guess I'll have to spring for a new one. :cry:

Scott R
09-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Unfortunately you're right. I got my Pocket PC 2003 upgrade, and after installing it, my iPaq still doesn't like the SD card. Guess I'll have to spring for a new one. :cry:How old is it? Most memory cards have pretty long warranties. I believe SanDisk's warranty is on the shorter side at 3 years.

Scott

PoweriPaq
09-11-2003, 03:57 AM
Unfortunately you're right. I got my Pocket PC 2003 upgrade, and after installing it, my iPaq still doesn't like the SD card. Guess I'll have to spring for a new one. :cry:How old is it? Most memory cards have pretty long warranties. I believe SanDisk's warranty is on the shorter side at 3 years.

Scott

Actually, they are 5 years.

Evee Ev
09-11-2003, 03:58 AM
i had the same problems with my ipaq 3975. i upgraded the ROM image and then applied the SD card patch and i don't get those errors any more....well at least not as frequent. i think it happened once in the last week. it was happening 3-4 times per day before the SD patch was applied. but the WM2K3 upgrade might do the trick. let us know!

Godsongz
09-11-2003, 04:11 AM
I had a Sandisk 128 SD in my 2215 and a Kingston 128 SD in my 3835, the Kingston was showing these same errors in the 3835 constantly.

backed up both cards
formatted them
switched the PDA/card combos so the Kingston was now in my 2215 and the Sandisk in my 3835
dumped all the data back to the cards (in reverse)
Result: 2 happy pda's

jage
09-14-2003, 04:55 AM
But what fixed the problem for me was to put a small cardboard piece behind the 1½ years old 128MB Sandisk SD-card. Got those errors several times per day, ever since it's been working just fine. Apparently a bit loose contacts can cause the problem too... Maybe the contacts become oxidized and have worse connectivity or something like that?

ctmagnus
09-14-2003, 06:36 AM
But what fixed the problem for me was to put a small cardboard piece behind the 1½ years old 128MB Sandisk SD-card. Got those errors several times per day, ever since it's been working just fine. Apparently a bit loose contacts can cause the problem too... Maybe the contacts become oxidized and have worse connectivity or something like that?

I read in these forums that some SD cards are a tiny bit smaller than MMC cards, which the slots are also designed to accomodate. I'd wager that your card is one of those.