View Full Version : Programs will not launch - please help!

ro-76
09-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Hi,

I've got an Ipaq 1945 with PPC 2003.

I recently uninstalled and then re-installed a program (BFMines). I had originally had it working from the memory card, which was fine. When I re-installed it, it would not launch from the programs list (shortcut) or even by launching the .exe file using file explorer. I then uninstalled and re-installed into the main memory, and again it will not launch either with the shortcut or the program itself.

Today, I downloaded Cleaner+, to see if this would help, but alas this will not launch either.

Thanks in advance,

Ro

PS: I do aplolgise if this topic has been discussed before - I did a pretty extensive search, but could not find any help.

Rok
09-08-2003, 06:28 PM
Forgive me for asking: have you tried a simple soft reset in between uninstall / reinstall? Sometimes certain files are only removed after a soft reset...

Also, try deleting any files that are in \Temp folder.

Other than that, uninstall / manually cleaning the registry / reinstall comes to mind.

Cheers,
Rok

terrypin
09-08-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm a newbie myself, so excuse me if I'm stating the downright obvious... After implementing Rok's recommendations, do you have a recent backup you can restore from?

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

ro-76
09-08-2003, 07:51 PM
Forgive me for asking: have you tried a simple soft reset in between uninstall / reinstall? Sometimes certain files are only removed after a soft reset...

Also, try deleting any files that are in \Temp folder.

Other than that, uninstall / manually cleaning the registry / reinstall comes to mind.

Cheers,
Rok

I have done the soft resets between installs/uninstalls.

I think I probably have registry problems. How do I clean the registry?

I'm a newbie myself, so excuse me if I'm stating the downright obvious... After implementing Rok's recommendations, do you have a recent backup you can restore from?

Newcomer to PPC, using iPAQ 2210 (PPC 2003).

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

The problem is that I have backed up since the problems arose (automatic backup) , so i don't have a pre-problem backup.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Ro

Rok
09-08-2003, 08:20 PM
How do I clean the registry?

Using any of the available registry editors (Resco Explorer has a built-in one, PHM, Kilmist...), search for entries that include the name of the offending app, and delete them. If this doesn't succeed, you'll probably end up hard-resetting anyway...

Cheers,
Rok

P.S.
A piece of advice regarding automated backups: they are very convenient indeed, but can be a pain if you don't keep one or two older versions. Make a manual backup of a "clean" device (i.e. hard reset, install & register all the apps you need, then backup) and keep it safe. It'll save you a lot of pain if something like this happens again - it makes restoring a device to a clean state a breeze.