View Full Version : 1910 just burnt me

DavidHorn
09-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I've got an ipaq 1910 and generally use it play games and listen to music (aren't I shallow?!!). Anyway, this morning I left it playing music through my PC speakers running Pocket Player, not overclocked. Anyway, there was a loud pop and the sound went off. I thought that maybe the lead had come out so I picked it up to check, and dropped it in pain. The top and upper back of the unit was blisteringly hot, along with the SD card which was too hot to touch when I ejected it.

I've managed to repeat the problem a few times, though it's never got quite so hot before cutting out. It also does it with the headphone jack in or out, and SD card works fine. Suprised actually, since the thing got damned hot.

Have I got a faulty unit, do you reckon? Not sure whether the retailer will take it back, it's got a dent in the bottom from when I dropped it due to the heat now. Mind you, I might just let my credit card company deal with it.

But it was so hot my finger blistered afterwards and it really hurt. :(

SassKwatch
09-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Have I got a faulty unit, do you reckon? Not sure whether the retailer will take it back, it's got a dent in the bottom from when I dropped it due to the heat now. Mind you, I might just let my credit card company deal with it.

But it was so hot my finger blistered afterwards and it really hurt. :(
*I* would certainly consider any device that got so hot as to burn me to be defective. Whether the retailer from whom you purchased the device would consider it so is another story....though I'd raise holy you-know-what if they argued the point. It sounds like you would be able to demonstrate the problem fairly easily.

Though I'm *far* from being a hardware guru, it really surprises me the unit would be functional at all after an episode of getting that hot.

DavidHorn
09-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Yeah, well, it really surprised me as well. I think the amplifier shuts off (that's the pop) before it gets any hotter, and so protects the rest of the device.

I'll let you know on Monday how I get on - though in the UK it's certain I'll get a refund - all products have to be sold with a one year warranty and the retailer has to uphold that. If not, you tell your credit card company and they forcibly retrieve the money you paid and give you a refund.

ZiL
09-08-2003, 02:57 PM
My 1910 also tunrs hot when I listen to music on long periods of time. I think is kind of a desing flaw.

Off Topic: I got to say that this little fella has work good for me. But I want SDIO and BlueTooth on it damit... iPaq 194x seems to be the fix for that... :cry:

Chris Spera
09-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Don't feel bad. I have noticed that my 5455 also gets hot when playing music (specifically MP3's, not WMA's).

The processor is doing a lot when playing music or watching video, so I'm not too surprised that it gets warm; but it should never burn you.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Kati Compton
09-08-2003, 05:49 PM
Ouch. Hot enough to burn? More than a laptop gets hot? If it happened in the States I might suggest writing Consumer Reports about it, and let them contact HP (in addition to you) to inquire about the issue. That's just dangerous.

maximus
09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
I'll let you know on Monday how I get on - though in the UK it's certain I'll get a refund - all products have to be sold with a one year warranty and the retailer has to uphold that. If not, you tell your credit card company and they forcibly retrieve the money you paid and give you a refund.

Does the warranty still valid with the existence of the dent ?

famousdavis
09-09-2003, 05:01 AM
I have a 1910, too, and I listen to WMAs at work, sometimes for 90-100 minutes at a time. It's never gotten warm to the touch, ever! I use a pair of earbuds and the volume is set a notch under the one-half way mark.

Based upon my experience with the 1910 -- which, overall, has been very good -- I'd say you got a defective unit.

ctmagnus
09-09-2003, 10:56 PM
I have a 1910, too, and I listen to WMAs at work, sometimes for 90-100 minutes at a time. It's never gotten warm to the touch, ever! I use a pair of earbuds and the volume is set a notch under the one-half way mark.

Isn't that rather loud? I find my Pocket PCs to be overly loud (but fortunately not so loud as to be dangerous) even at the lowest setting. I was using a Panasonic inline control to lower the volume on my 3670 but it makes everything sound tinny on my 5550 so I resorted to the (still loud) lowest setting.

famousdavis
09-10-2003, 02:23 AM
Isn't that rather loud?

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU! :wink:

You're right, sometimes it is too loud -- it depends on how the original recording level on the audio CD. I have an inline volume control on my earbuds, so I do adjust downward accordingly. I just wanted DavidHorn to know that playing audio on his 1910 shouldn't cause his 1910 to have a heat stroke.

Janak Parekh
09-10-2003, 06:12 AM
ctmagnus, the 1910s aren't as deafening as the 3xxx/5xxx units.

--janak

D.psi
09-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Quick question, are you folks who find the 1910 getting hot, overclocking your Ipaqs? We had a thread a month ago about overclocking the 1910.

The thought came up that maybe the reason it did not natively run at 400 MHz was a heat dissipation issue. I.e. there was no way to get rid of the heat from the processor.

Processing music files would be a computationally intensive process, where the processor is really busy (i.e. no idle time), especially if you use relatively high bit rates for your music selections. Just a thought.

D.psi