View Full Version : Want to go wireless (need advice)...

grendel
09-07-2003, 02:34 AM
I just purchases a new Ipaq 2215 and love it. I am moving to Nashville in 2 weeks (from Puerto Rico) and will be setting up a new wireless account. I'm thinking of going with T-mobile so i can use their data options.

I want to buy a BT enabled phone but I have no need for all the extra gadgets (camera, pda, etc.). I was thinking of purchasing a Sony Ericsson R520 on ebay, but on Amazon.com, I can purchase a new T616 for less or a new Nokia 3650 for FREE after rebates (despite the fact that I don't need all of their widgets). Unfortunately, amazon't T616 is for ATT, not T-mobile, and I'm not sure if it comes locked, which is a whole different can of worms, and I don't like the size and short talk time on the Nokia....

Ultimately, I don't even NEED the whole BT/wireless thing, I just think it would be cool to have...

So anyway, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Any advice? I'm new to all of this but love the technology. I just can't afford to spend much right now...

Janak Parekh
09-07-2003, 04:23 AM
The Nokia 3650 is by far your best bet from Amazon. It'll take some time to get used to the dial, but the phone is pretty stable and it has amongst the best reception of GSM phones. And it's cheap (that is, after you get your mail-in rebates reimbursed). Be careful about the talk time ratings; the Nokia should be pretty good. It is a bit larger than the T610, but I don't think it's too bad.

BTW, if you want the T-Mobile equivalent of the T616, it's the T610, and Amazon does carry it -- albeit for the price of $80.

If you honestly ask my opinion, though, all of this is dependent on T-Mobile having good coverage where you live. T-Mobile sucks in my home, as opposed to Verizon, so I'm in the process of switching.

--janak

grendel
09-07-2003, 06:02 AM
I've read that the 3650 doesn't have very good battery life, and I'm not sure how "professional" this phone is for work. Also, are you sure the 610 and 616 are the same? I read somewhere that the 610 was meant for Europe and had LOUSY signal reception. I know what you're saying about providers. I have NO IDEA who has the best coverage in Nashville, but I may only be there for six months and there seem to be few alternatives if I want BT and internet with my 2215. Am I missing an alternative?

Janak Parekh
09-07-2003, 06:08 AM
I've read that the 3650 doesn't have very good battery life, and I'm not sure how "professional" this phone is for work.
Since I don't own one, I can't say for certain. I haven't heard many complaints, myself, but we'd have to hear from somebody like Ed who uses it everyday. However, I can say that every single review or opinion I've heard says the 3650 has the best reception, hands down.

Also, are you sure the 610 and 616 are the same? I read somewhere that the 610 was meant for Europe and had LOUSY signal reception.
No, they're not the same. The T616 is 800/1800/1900, while the T610 is 900/1800/1900. In other words, the T616 supports two GSM bands in the US. However, T-Mobile only uses 1900, so they use the "European" version of the phone. I've also heard rumors that the antenna on the T616 is more optimized for 800/1900 frequencies, but I can't speak about that with authority; I've heard the T610 has reception that lies somewhere between the T68 and the 3650.

I know what you're saying about providers. I have NO IDEA who has the best coverage in Nashville, but I may only be there for six months and there seem to be few alternatives if I want BT and internet with my 2215. Am I missing an alternative?
Well, the alternative, as you hinted, is to live without BT... or unlimited data (i.e., go with ATTWS).

--janak

QYV
09-10-2003, 02:08 AM
I'm in the same boat as grendel. My issue is that I do not want a $39.99 voice plan! That means the phones mentioned here - particularly the 3650 - are $150, not free. Considering all I want is a dumb phone with Bluetooth, that's a bitter pill to swallow (that's half of what I paid for my Axim!). Is there any way to get a cheaper Bluetooth phone that works on T-Mobile's networks?