View Full Version : DivX Video Director 2.0

OldAuzzie
09-07-2003, 12:18 AM
This software by BVRP is not sold in the U.S. due to restrictions. I would like to acquire this software or similar software to transfer DVD movies in DivX format both on the PC and my IPAQ3870.

I did discover www.gdata.de and their DaVideo 3 Pro software but think it is only available in German and I am not up for learning a foreign language right now.

Someone out there must know how to get a copy of this software!

upplepop
09-07-2003, 12:22 AM
I don't think anyone on this site is going to help you break the law. There are lots of other ways to transfer DVD (or DivX) to Pocket PC. Check out this very informative guide (http://www.pocketmatrix.com/guides/dvd2divx).

upplepop
09-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Actually, look at this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15644) for a link to the same guide, along with several other suggestions to getting DVD video to play on your PPC.

dh
09-07-2003, 12:35 AM
I had a quick check around to see if there is an "unofficial" download anywhere but couldn't find it. Probably not mainsteam enough yet.

Hey Jason, did you ever get a copy of this to review? There is no trial version and I don't think too many people want to take a chance on it.

OldAuzzie
09-07-2003, 09:02 PM
Actually, look at this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15644) for a link to the same guide, along with several other suggestions to getting DVD video to play on your PPC.

I will look through this. However, it seems to me that this is no different than the results of DivX Video Duplicator. It rips the video and puts it on you hard drive in DivX format. Am I missing something here or are we all just playing a silly game! What prevents me from sending you the movies I rip in DivX format. Why are we penalizing BVRP and other European software houses?

hollis_f
09-09-2003, 07:47 AM
I will look through this. However, it seems to me that this is no different than the results of DivX Video Duplicator. It rips the video and puts it on you hard drive in DivX format. Am I missing something here or are we all just playing a silly game! What prevents me from sending you the movies I rip in DivX format. Why are we penalizing BVRP and other European software houses? It would only be penalizing them if they were prevented from competing with US firms selling the same sort of software. But there aren't any. That's because you have a law (The Digital Millennium Copyright Act) that forbids the sale and use of such software (well, it might forbid it and it might not, obviously BVRP don't want to take the chance).

If you don't like it (and I wouldn't) then tell your elected representative that you don't like it - and why.

OldAuzzie
09-09-2003, 05:41 PM
When I follow an above referenced link, it takes me to a post from pschultz that indicated that Dr. DivX will rip a DVD and convert it into small video and you can get it from www.divx.com/divx/drdivx. What about this software is functionally any different than DivX Video Director from BVRP?

hollis_f
09-10-2003, 01:27 PM
When I follow an above referenced link, it takes me to a post from pschultz that indicated that Dr. DivX will rip a DVD and convert it into small video and you can get it from www.divx.com/divx/drdivx. What about this software is functionally any different than DivX Video Director from BVRP? Not a lot of difference in the two products. As I implied - there are some doubts as to the legality of these types of programs. Each of them have to make their own decisions on the likelihood of getting prosecuted vs potential lost US sales vs potential penalties if found guilty.

Obviously BVRP and DrDivX have different opinions.