View Full Version : New Pocket Music with Performance Pack--good Winamp skins??

maikii
09-06-2003, 10:43 PM
The regular Pocket Music is a freeware player only for MP3s.

However, they now have a new product out (WM2003 compatible) that is shareware, and can play WMAs and OGGs as well as MP3s. There are also some nice new features for it.

It is not freeware, but shareware, $19.95. I cannot recall the name for sure, but I think it's what I put on the title of this thread ("with performace pack")

One can download a trial version (fully functional, time limitation, I forget if 15 or 30 days) through Handango or through www.pocketmind.com.

It certainly sounds great from the description. I like that it can play WMAs, which most alternative players don't do. As I already have WMAs I created for WMP, I wouldn't want to have to "re-rip" those CDs to mp3 or OGG.

I downloaded the trial version a couple days ago and am trying it. Who else reading this has tried it, and what are your opinions?

I have run into a couple problems though---

1)Skins--much more variety available (than with WM9), since it uses Winamp 2 skins. However, I have yet to find one suitable for PP3, in other words, having large controls that one can see and manipulate well on the small-screened PDA.

Although WMP has many fewer skins available, I have found some for the PPC that are very well-suited to it, with large buttons, etc. I haven't found those for Winamp. Pocket Mind even put together three packs of skins that they say are well-suited for their "Pocket Music" product. I downloaded all three packs, and looked at each single skin. Not one that I found suitable, all with tiny buttons, hard to see. (And that includes the default skin Pocket Music comes with.)

Anyone know of Winamp 2 skins with large buttons, suitable for the PPC screen?

My other question concerns playlists. You can find a post of mine from a few days ago asking about creating playlists in WMP, and a problem I had. Since "Pocket Music" says that it comes with an "advanced playlist editor"(or something like that), I assumed that I could easily solve that playlist problem with Pocket Music. However, I still have not found how, including with Pocket Music, to create playlists from ripped CDs, with the tracks automatically put into the same order they are on the CD. (Please see my other playlist post of a few days ago, for more details.)

Any suggestions for dealing with that, with the "Pocket Music" playlist editor?

Thank you.

Tom W.M.
09-06-2003, 11:52 PM
maikii,
The button sizes on Winamp2 skins are fixed. The skin author has no control over anyting but the bitmaps and colors involved in the skin. (Personally I really like this as part of a desktop MP3 player, because it means that I can always find the buttons. That's more than I can say for Winamp3 and WMP skins.)

maikii
09-07-2003, 01:34 AM
maikii,
The button sizes on Winamp2 skins are fixed. The skin author has no control over anyting but the bitmaps and colors involved in the skin. (Personally I really like this as part of a desktop MP3 player, because it means that I can always find the buttons. That's more than I can say for Winamp3 and WMP skins.)

Not good for PPC use though. That could be enough of a reason for me not to buy this product then, despite some features better than WMP. Using a media player on a PPC, one wants buttons that are easily visible and usable.

Or any way to convert WMP or Winamp 3 skins to work with a program that uses Winamp 2 skins, like this Pocket Music Plus?

Janak Parekh
09-07-2003, 01:41 AM
maikii, you might want to look at Conduits' Pocket Player (http://www.conduits.com/products/player/).

--janak

Tom W.M.
09-07-2003, 04:33 AM
Or any way to convert WMP or Winamp 3 skins to work with a program that uses Winamp 2 skins, like this Pocket Music Plus?
That wouldn't work, because Winamp 2 has a very specific format for it's skins. Also, many Winamp 3 skins are complex, ugly things that are far less suited to the PPC screen than Winamp 2 ones (as are many for WMP). It's not going to be worth the trouble. Design or find a skin that is made for the small screen, like this one (http://forums.projectmayo.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6413&forum=23) for PocketMVP:

http://al-con.net/pmvps.jpg (http://forums.projectmayo.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6413&forum=23)